Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2015, 15:22   #121

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Beware new yanmars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Get onto Yanmars FB and media pages and let them know. Your voice here is the feedback they need.

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea
Steve, Don't blame Yanmar or any other engine builder/marinizer. Blame the US Government for adding requirements that will change the face of boating in the next few years. Apparently towards Tier 4, we will not even be able to sell old non-compliant engines, be it old new stock, rebuilt, or even used. So, what it will do is put everyone out of business in the US, and open up in Mexico and Canada for re-powering.

Just like how ethanol has done awesome things for the environment. I think I burned 4 times the gas in my outboard last year. Outboard is 2 years old and already needs a new carb.

Or the bottom paint regulations. There was a time you could put paint on and have it last 5 years, then they cut the copper in half and made it water based and the first gen lasted 2 years. That means putting the same or more bad stuff in the environment and paying more to do it.

I can see it now, the EPA busting people for selling a Perkins 4-108 on Craigslist in my lifetime.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 16:32   #122
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Is twice in 30 years a lot? It was twice too many times for me.
How about 4 times in 25 years Do I win
Old 26-02-2015, 17:38   #123

Boat: Tartan 40

Can't vouch for yanmar, but we have 2 newer VW TDIs in our driveway. I aamazed at how smooth, quiet, and smoke free mine is, even after starting in sub-freezing temps. Power is better and mileage same or better than older diesels.

The electronics and common rail technology have really improved diesels. The big concern, and it's a big one, is what about lightning strike or water damage. If you could just keep an extra electronics module it would be problem solved with a big upside....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 22:25   #124

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
Steve, Don't blame Yanmar or any other engine builder/marinizer. Blame the US Government for adding requirements that will change the face of boating in the next few years. Apparently towards Tier 4, we will not even be able to sell old non-compliant engines, be it old new stock, rebuilt, or even used. So, what it will do is put everyone out of business in the US, and open up in Mexico and Canada for re-powering.

A few facts:
The EPA is only implementing the MARPOL regulations. So are all other countries. Repowering in Canada is not going to be an option as the regulations are going to be the same there. Ditto for Europe.
Tier 4 involves exhaust scrubbers. I doubt this will ever be mandatory for small craft. Currently this is not on the agenda AFAIK.
Tier 3 can be met without using electronics. It's only that using common rail technology with ECUs has quite a bit of advantages. My car doesn't belch black smoke when I start it, so why should I accept that from my boat?

K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:00   #125

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Colemj,

Nice map of lightning distribution over land. Would be more useful to find one that included oceans which is where I'm hoping to spend blue water time. I'll have look.

BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:32   #126

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

That map does show the distribution of strikes over water. The reason it doesn't look bad over the oceans is because lightning is primarily a land-weather event. Getting struck at open sea when not near land is very rare.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 14:54   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That map does show the distribution of strikes over water. The reason it doesn't look bad over the oceans is because lightning is primarily a land-weather event. Getting struck at open sea when not near land is very rare.

Mark
Yes Mark, that makes sense particularly for coastal convection thunderstorms.
Or perhaps the satellite data is filtered for around land masses? Just curious so I'll call the Aussie BOM and try and find out about that.

But I remember being way off (150 nm?) the Australian east coast and the lightning (to the sea surface) on the leading edge of a squall line (front??) going by was "impressive".

So I wonder if others can chime in and confirm or deny that lightning way offshore is, or is not, common. Depends what we mean by common, too.

Has anyone else been well offshore and had any sphincter-tightening lightning experiences?
Old 03-03-2015, 15:15   #128

The lightning distribution maps are generated by the worldwide GPATS system of land based radio frequency detectors, so that might explain why it looks like lightning at sea is less common.

See Global Position and Tracking Systems.

This doesn't conclusively answer the question of probability of lightning for bluewater cruisers when passagemaking, but it helps explain the lightning maps I've seen. The search for data on lightning at sea continues....

IMHO however, choosing a diesel engine for a cruising boat that is particularly vulnerable to lightning strike, is asking for trouble.

It only needs to happen once...and Murphy tells us THAT will be the time you really need your engines.
Old 03-03-2015, 15:33   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
Steve, Don't blame Yanmar or any other engine builder/marinizer. Blame the US Government for adding requirements that will change the face of boating in the next few years. Apparently towards Tier 4, we will not even be able to sell old non-compliant engines, be it old new stock, rebuilt, or even used.
You can always buy replacement industrial engines, and marinize them.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 16:58   #130

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Or perhaps the satellite data is filtered for around land masses? Just curious so I'll call the Aussie BOM and try and find out about that.

But I remember being way off (150 nm?) the Australian east coast and the lightning (to the sea surface) on the leading edge of a squall line (front??) going by was "impressive".

So I wonder if others can chime in and confirm or deny that lightning way offshore is, or is not, common. Depends what we mean by common, too.

Has anyone else been well offshore and had any sphincter-tightening lightning experiences?
I view 150 nm as being coastal still - and still subject to land-weather events.

Definitely lightning in squalls, but there are not enough of those in open water to show the activity that land has.

Even when we are coastal sailing, the lightning over land is almost constant at times, while we get little of it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 17:50   #131

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post

It's very possible the lightning distribution data collected for this report is from land based weather radar where their reach is only 150nm? out from the coast. Hence, open ocean lightning would have to come from weather satellites. One would have to understand the purpose of the report (land or sea).
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 17:16   #132

I just looked at the spec sheets for the new 4JH57 Common Rail and the previous 4JH5E engines. At 2000 RPM it looks like the new Common Rail engine consumers 4 litres of fuel per hour. At the same RPM on the 4JH5E, the fuel consumption is approximately 2.5 litres per hour. But the new common rail engine has much higher torque and power performance at a similar level of RPM. Does the fuel efficiency of the new engine come from running at much lower RPM's? In the spec chart for the new engine, it shows RPMs down to 800. The old engine started around 1500.
HKTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 18:56   #133

I have the new 57.common rail in my endeavour 42. The motor is awesome. I run 7 knots at 1.6 gph. When i motor sail i can get it down to .8 in 10.knots. 200 hours second oil.change have not burned any oil whatsoever. Downwind 23 hours striaght to dry tortugas . No smell no soot on transom. Could not be happier. Much better tham the turbo.yanmar 62 hp that it replaced.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 17:14   #134

Bohemian17. How do you like the new 125 amp alternator on your yanmar. Have you modified it with a smart regulator? Thanks
HKTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 17:21   #135

I am running it through a pro iso charge unit and it seems perfect. Still on the original.alt. belt at 200 hrs. Without noticing black belt dust.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar