Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 11:31   #1

Big flywheel and gear shifting

Hi everyone. We're having a small but significant issue with the Volvo md3b in our recently purchased cavalier 39. It has a huge flywheel...which makes shifting from reverse to forward problematic. We stall it regularly and when we shift into forward there's sometimes no engagement.
What is the trick to doing this more smoothly. ?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:47   #2

Re: Big flywheel and gear shifting

Hmmmm, it seems to me you just go to neutral for a second then go to the other gear. At least my MD2B worked that way. It sounds like maybe something is wrong with yours. They are not like a car clutch.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:03   #3

Yes that worked for me last time but my wife has had trouble with it in the marina for the last couple of days. (I'm 2000km away from the marina currently) I'm wondering if she was running too many revs perhaps. In order to engage gear the flywheel must surely have to slow? maybe the friction plates could be worn perhaps? (I'm not a mechanic by any means so forgive me if my terminology is wrong)
Old 05-10-2016, 13:47   #4

Make sure that the engine idle RPM is set correctly, and then make sure the engine actually comes back to idle speed when you move the throttle lever to idle.....ie. Make sure the throttle cable is adjusted correctly and pushing the throttle lever all the way to the idle stop.

Then check the adjustment of the shifter and shift cable. When the gear box activation lever is in the neutral position, and the shift lever at the helm is in the neutral position, the shift cable position must allow the attachment pin to slide into the gearbox activation lever with out moving the lever one way or the other. If that can't happen then the shift cable end fitting needs to be adjusted to allow the pin easy access.

If all of this is good year might want to get the local VP mechanic to check out the transmission.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 16:27   #5

Thanks Douglas
I just heard from my wife... she was towed back to the marina today...engine quit and sounds to me like fuel blockage so this may well be the source of her problems yesterday.
Kind of glad I'm 2000km away for today ☺

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-10-2016, 00:47   #6

Update... We had an air block in the fuel line. As we throttle on the air got split with the fuel rushing by...throttle off and air bubbled back together to block supply again...at least that is the theory... Looks like there may be deterioration in the lift pump diaphragm .

Tags
gear, wheel