Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 03:08   #1

Bilge Oil

I have a yanmar 4JH3E with 1000hrs and am expierencing oil in the bilge but cannot find a source at the oil filter, oil cooler, sending units, or along the pan bolts that I can feel. I lose 4oz/day. I believe oil is also comming out with the raw water exhaust. Can this be from a disintegrating oil cooler? If it is, why can I not find the source? This problem may have started after runnning for 6 hrs at my max rpm of 2800. I am frustrated and considering lifting the engine to expose the oil pan for a potential leak. Thans in advance to anyone who can help... Jerry
ARGONAUTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:38   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Try seeing if the raw water oil cooler has a annode. Ours does and it had completely been used up so then the water attacks the cooler itself. Perhaps it has eaten through and made a hole in the oil tube inside the cooler.

if so the cooler may need to be removed and taken to an AUTO radiator repair shop for reconditioning NOT a marnie guy if you value your wallet.

We had a Yanmar guy come and take it off and put it back on but not do the toher work

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:40   #3

Mark, Thanks for the insight. I will check the cooler out today but still concerned no obvious leaks from the cooler into the bilge. This would explain the oil in the exhaust if there is some interior cooler defect alowing raw water to mix with the oil...Jerry
Old 11-07-2010, 10:08   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Do you have oil in the bilge or oil in the exhaust?

Is the engine over filled?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 15:43   #5

THANKS FOR RESPONDING, CHIEF ENGINEER. I AM IN THE BAHAMAS AND NOT SURE IF I TRUST THE LOCALS TO LIFT THE ENGINE AND SEEK OUT AN OIL PAN/GASKET LEAK. MAY NEED TO RETURN TO WEST PALM FOR SERVICE. THERE IS OIL IN THE BILGE AND EXHAUST SUGGESTING AN OIL PAN LEAK AS WELL AS MIXING OF OIL/SEAWATER IN THE OIL COOLER? I SEE NO OBVIOUS SOURCE FOR THE LEAK IN ALL THE FITTINGS,OIL FILTER AND COOLER,SENDING UNITS SO BELIEVE MY PROBLEM IS IN THE PAN WHICH DOES HAVE SOME SCALE AND RUST FLAKES IN THE BILGE. THANKS, JERRY
Old 11-07-2010, 15:45   #6

THE ENGINE IS NOT OVER FILLED. THANKS CHIEF ENGINEER. jERRY
Old 11-07-2010, 20:38   #7
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
Wipe everything down with a solvent soaked rag. Clean and dry every place you can reach, then cut a custom fitting piece of cardboard to fit under the engine. Drips will be quickly located on the cardboard. ARGONAUTA do you own a custom Benford design?
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 20:43   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I had a similar oil leak on my port engine when the boat was new. It turned out to be a pinched o-ring on the oil pump (manufacturing defect). Once the o-ring was replaced, the leak went away.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 10:21   #9
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
Well Jerry found the leak (he dropped me a line), way to go. That cardboard trick works most every time. Now comes the fun part, you'll probably have to crawl around in the nasty bilge and if you're anything like me you'll have the wrong size wrench in your hand, just when you've gotten comfortable, close to the work site. Good Luck . . .
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 07:44   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I recently discovered a technique that was new to me for finding the source of an oil leak. I had used the paper bag in the engine sump to determine that the drip was on the starboard side of my engine, but I still didn't know the source. When scanning a motocycle maintenance site I saw advice that suggested a puff of talcum powder applied to show the leak.

This photo shows my powder application and the following shows the rack in the powder after running my engine....

I didn't hold my camera at the best angle to see the source, but this track was leading to my oil pressure sensor and an easy fix. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, oil