Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2016, 06:41   #1

Bleeding 2GM20

OK, changed out a clogged filter and had to figure out how to bleed the system.

I'm a big guy and in a tight space, I can't get my head around the side of the engine to see. I've got the manual and looked up pictures online. For the life of me, I can't find the little lever on the fuel pump to prime the system.

Finally in frustration, I closed the water supply (so exhaust water doesn't back up into the engine). Opened the first bleed screw and cranked the engine. 3 times at 10sec each and got fuel coming out, did the second with 1 time at 10sec and as soon as diesel started coming out the engine also came to life.

I was at dock with shore power, so I wasn't too worried about running the batteries down.

For future reference: I'm just wondering if there is any harm in doing it this way?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:15   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Bleeding 2GM20

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
OK, changed out a clogged filter and had to figure out how to bleed the system.

I'm a big guy and in a tight space, I can't get my head around the side of the engine to see. I've got the manual and looked up pictures online. For the life of me, I can't find the little lever on the fuel pump to prime the system.

Finally in frustration, I closed the water supply (so exhaust water doesn't back up into the engine). Opened the first bleed screw and cranked the engine. 3 times at 10sec each and got fuel coming out, did the second with 1 time at 10sec and as soon as diesel started coming out the engine also came to life.

I was at dock with shore power, so I wasn't too worried about running the batteries down.

For future reference: I'm just wondering if there is any harm in doing it this way?
That's the way I do it.....using the starter.

When I change the primary filter, I fill it with diesel before putting the new one on, hence, don't have to bleed. I haven't changed a secondary filter for a long time, but would certainly try it the same way.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:32   #3

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I've used the little lever on the pump, the starter, and an auxiliary electric fuel pump added to the fuel system, they all work but the starter and electric work the best. You have to go by feel to find the manual lever and even after you've just used it is hard to find again.

Sent from a boat somewhere
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:57   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I use the starter too, with raw water off and decompression levers open (less load on the starter that way. The little lever barely fills the primary filter after a minute of pumping. Using the starter is Far easier. I also have a squeeze bulb before the lift pump.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:08   #5

On Yanmars I just use the starter and bleed at the injectors. They seem to start right up no matter what you do!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:08   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Easiest and preferred by me with your precautions performed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
... You have to go by feel to find the manual lever and even after you've just used it is hard to find again.
Kinda like "parking" back in high school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I use the starter too, with raw water off and decompression levers open (less load on the starter that way. The little lever barely fills the primary filter after a minute of pumping. Using the starter is Far easier. I also have a squeeze bulb before the lift pump.
innuendo restraintus maximus...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20