Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2018, 10:41   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Blow back setting gas alarm off

I have been told by the previous owner to keep the double doors closed while making way as blow back from the stern enters the cabin, flows down to the galley and sets of an alarm. I can confirm this does happen as the alarm went off when I forgot to close one of the doors midway into cruising.

As you can see in the first two pics, the Bimini goes across the entire aft deck, the vinyl walls are kept up during cruising in the heat.

Of course I don't like the alarm going off but the cabin is warm with windows opening only approximately a third of their length. When we went out I didn't leave the forward hatch up which I later realized might give a good through breeze and eliminate blow back with the doors open. I also toyed with the idea of leaving the vinyl wall intact just over the transom area to again prevent gas intrusion into the cabin and galley.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Link to pics of the boat:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...22498835044761

PS: my spell check made me capitalize Bimini, is it a brand name?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 11:44   #2

Boat: Yamaha 33
Re: Blow back setting gas alarm off

Bimini is a part of the Bahamas.
vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 16:40   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Blow back setting gas alarm off

That's why you can't drive a station wagon with the rear window down. You'll need to putter around. Either break the suction in the cabin, or reroute the exhaust, perhaps closer to the waterline or even under it, to send the exhaust out differently. Dropping the rear panel might work, but then you're sailing in a box and can't feel the wind either.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm