Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2017, 19:19   #16

Re: BLUECAREWATERBEAR Westerbeke Rebuild

I am not a mechanic. Are you talking about floats in carburetor? The mechanic tells me carburetors are working fine but doesn't understand why they're flooding.
jsangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 20:19   #17

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Only really two probable causes. The needle and seat in the carborator is not stopping fuel flow. And are mis adjusted. Or. Fuel pressure is too high for the float to stop fuel flow. The float it's self, is a possible cause. In General terms, is just like a household toilet, when the water or fuel in this case reaches the proper level, it stops flow. Hope this helps.
carebear1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 20:22   #18

Just like a Toilet that overflows
Old 21-01-2017, 20:26   #19

Boat: wanting a cat

Look at you Carrie with all that technical knowledge!

Awesome!

You and Jay, I'm your biggest fan. I really hope things fall into place for you two. Sounds like you got totally hosed.

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 20:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
Look at you Carrie with all that technical knowledge!

Awesome!

You and Jay, I'm your biggest fan. I really hope things fall into place for you two. Sounds like you got totally hosed.

meatservo
Thanks. But that's all Jay right there. I am the apprentice here. He is currently working on electrical and is telling me what to say . I am learning , is a good thing. We are just trying to help all of our fellow Cruisers out here. Just like you and many more here. Thanks again.. oh.. and if Guido knows where to getintake and exhaust valves for this motor. Is all we are trying to find. Let us know.
Old 21-01-2017, 20:48   #21

Boat: wanting a cat

Call him, I will too!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 20:53   #22

Thanks Dean. Its probably too late tonight but we will in the morning.
Old 22-01-2017, 01:09   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsangster View Post
Having trouble with getting 270 crusader engines to run. Bought boat in December, boat ran fine for 2 hours. Tried cranking week later only port engine would run. Now neither engine wil crank. Mechanic has replaced starboard fuel pump. Replaced plugs in both engines. Now both carburetors are flooding out. Mechanic is out of ideas. Fuel filters were cleaned out.
Jangster, I'm sure you didn't realize it, but you have just butted into a conversation that has been difficult at times, fraught with emotion, and we don't even know what engine you have. Please start your own thread, with pertinent information, so that we can help you sort it out. You have two carburetors: this probably belongs in a motor vessel thread, because this one is about a newly purchased diesel auxiliary engine sailing boat, which has turned out to have more problems than the purchasers had anticipated.

Carebear, you hang in there, things should get better soon (hopefully), and anybody out there who can help them source Westerbeke parts, please chime in!

Ann
Old 22-01-2017, 03:50   #24

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
Yes I'm sure. And thanks. The biggest problem we are having now is finding correct parts for the westerbeke motor. And a slip that we can work on it that dissent charge 1.000$ a month. Even at 750.00 a month they have a cow when you say you need to put a head back on the motor. And yes. My husband ordered parts with the exact order number on the parts and still are not right. But they built the motor wow.. Anyhow , if anyone has ANY info on westerbeke valves would be very helpful. Thanks ��
As Jay suggested earlier, it looks like the Westerbeke 42B is a Mitsubishi S4L based engine, based on the 1.49 l displacement (78 x 78 mm). Internal engine parts for it should be the same wherever you get them, though there can be (sometimes unspecified) variations within a given model. Unless one is up to date on these changes; i.e. a parts person for the particular manufacturer in question, these can be maddeningly difficult to keep up with. Hence the need for a good parts person...

From what I've been able to find:

Intake valve

Mitsubishi P/N....MA31A04-30100
head diameter.....34 mm
stem dia.............6.6 mm
stem length........102.5 mm

18.25 each from the source listed below

exhaust valve

Mitsubishi P/N...MA31A04-20200
head dia...........27.2
stem dia............6.6
stem length......102.4

25.24 each from same source

https://www.partstree.com/parts/cub-...-26-hp-engine/

With a little research you may be able to find them substantially cheaper, for instance,

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...133061163.html

but you're at your own risk dealing with an offshore supplier (though I've sometimes had good luck with them).

Here also are 2 US suppliers (that you may already be familiar with) that might have good parts support. I've never used them though...

Mitsubishi Parts - J.D. Engine ServiceJ.D. Engine Service

Central Diesel, Inc. Sales & Service - Richmond, Virginia
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 05:07   #25

Oops, disregard post 24 above for now, the base engine should be the K4F, not the S4L. Looking for the some valve info now...
Old 22-01-2017, 06:10   #26

No luck, couldn't find any thing I world call reliable, though there are many sources for K4F valves. You should have the measurements from the old valves, a reputable head shop should be able to source them, or either of the last two sources linked to above should be able to shed some light...
Old 22-01-2017, 09:02   #27

Boat: Bristol 47.7

May or may not be helpful, but I recently had good luck and competent service dealing with injectors on my Westerbeke 8kw genset from Industrial Diesel in Norfolk, VA. They are Denso's from a Mazda based engine. (My propulsion engine is Mitsubishi-based).

http://www.industrialdiesel.com
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 13:33   #28

Update ordered westerbeke
parts valves were wrong part number correct only hold up is intake and exhaust valves
bluewaters003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 16:12   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
No luck, couldn't find any thing I world call reliable, though there are many sources for K4F valves. You should have the measurements from the old valves, a reputable head shop should be able to source them, or either of the last two sources linked to above should be able to shed some light...
Thanks will do.
Old 05-02-2017, 14:30   #30

So. Slowly but surely we are moving forward to getting the boat up to Jacksonville. Hubby got the motor going good. Almost ready to go. We are crunched for time since the railway bridge will be closed soon it Ft. Lauderdale. If anyone has some knowledge of the new river , would be of help since we've never been through there. Thanks all.

Tags
rebuild, water, westerbeke