Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2021, 01:45   #16

Re: Bmw d7

Hopefully someone who knows about this engine will come up with a clue to calming the RPM fluctuations.
The important thing is that the rack on the injector pump moves very smoothly and you might need to put pressure on the roller to test for that.
I do know that the Farymann’s on the Fischer Panda gensets were capable of this same behaviour but they had a slightly different type of governor.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:11   #17

Something i forget to say is that i have replaced the mechanical fuel pump for a electric fuel pump. Most because its make bleeding out any air very easy since the mechanical have just a small lever.
BUT could it be that this electrical pump is supplying to much diesel. ???
I hear in the tank that is coming diesel from the return hose. Can this couse run away ?
Samuelcoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelcoster View Post
i have a problem with my bmw d7 that i cant seam to fix

I bought a sailboat with a bmw d7 that didn't start. So i started rebuild it
Changed Piston rings
Got the injector renoveted
Got the injector pump renovated
New gasket kit

And its starts very easy but then revs up to max and i cant make it stop with the throttle or stop wire. Only by pulling the diesel hose it stops. I removed the pump and refitted it to be sure its in place and still same thing.
What is going on ?
Thanks for any answers
Update
Something i forget to say is that i have replaced the mechanical fuel pump for a electric fuel pump. Most because its make bleeding out any air very easy since the mechanical have just a small lever.
I hear in the tank that is coming diesel from the return hose. Can this couse run away ?
Samuelcoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 14:55   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Update
While one should never say never, on this occasion I will say the electrical fuel (lift) pump will never cause a runaway.

Your injector requires something like 2500psi before it opens and delivers fuel into the cylinder; the electric pump provides something like 5 to 10 psi.

The injector pump does three jobs, provides the necessary pressure (~2500psi), the required amount of pump and the timing of each fuel delivery into the cylinder.

So I am confident to say 'never' in this instance.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 16:20   #20

Bmw d7

Quote:

What is your usual method of shutting down this engine? I can’t see any stop linkage on the Governor so is it a fuel flow solenoid that usually is meant to stop it?
The reason I ask is because there is an in situ injector pump test that involves using the rack and manual stop but if you have a fuel line flow cutoff the test won’t work.
What sort of electric supply pump did you install?
I’m running out of ideas beyond a sticky injector pump plunger but it’s worth trying the delivery valve for leaks. Take the hp line off the injector pump and with the engine stopped and electric pump running see if you get a flow of fuel from the hp fitting on the top of the pump.
And finally (no insult intended) is there any chance that the supply line and the return line are on the wrong pump ports....... I really am running out of ideas now ?
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote