Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2008, 10:28   #1

Boat: Vagabond 47
Question Books on Diesel Engine Rebuild?

Hi all, I just aquired a ford lehman for short money, I want to tear down this engine and do a rebuild on it and replace my existing engine on the boat before I head south. I have the owners manual for the engine but it doesn't help much for tearing down and rebuilding. Does anyone know of some good books that will help me through this endeavor.

Thanks
captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 11:37   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Check with American Diesel in Virginia for a shop manual.

Have you done the required diagnostics to justify the rebuild?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 11:38   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Contact American Diesel at

American Diesel Corporation

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 11:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See the Ford Lehman (Parts) Engine Manuals at:
Peterson Cutter Group -- Documents Page

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 12:58   #5

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch- Independence
I recently bought a boat with a Perkins diesel, my first experience with a diesel. I wanted to teach myself about diesels to be able to do the repairs and service myself so I started looking for a good book. I ended up getting Troubleshooting And Repairing Diesel Engines by Paul Dempsey. Good book.
San Juan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 13:00   #6

Boat: Vagabond 47
Have you done the required diagnostics to justify the rebuild?[/quote]

I thought it would be best just to tear it down rather doing a diagnostic as I have no information on it. I do know it turns over so it's not seized up. The reason I thought of doing it was to have piece of mind when I'm out there and the experance of doing it would help down the road. I have read that these are rather basic engines to rebuild and I do have the manuals for the parts and torque of head bolts and such, but I didn't see anything pertaining to things like lining up the camshaft, crankshaft, or the timing for the injection pump.

captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:28   #7

Boat: TBD
Maybe these books would help?

Troubleshooting Marine Diesels by Peter Compton
Marine Diesel Engines: Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Repair by Nigel Calder

Hope that was helpful!
SweetSurrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 13:41   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You don't need to go so far as to completely rebuilding your diesel in order to learn how to do basic things like changing out the raw water impeller, riser, injectors, etc. If something more than a simple problem arises with your engine, you are not going to be able to repair it as sea anyways because chances are you are not going to have the parts or the tools anyways. If you need practice at learning how to do things then practice changing out parts at the dock before you go cruising.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 04:46   #9
Abo

Re: Books on Diesel Engine Rebuild?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captden View Post
Hi all, I just aquired a ford lehman for short money, I want to tear down this engine and do a rebuild on it and replace my existing engine on the boat before I head south. I have the owners manual for the engine but it doesn't help much for tearing down and rebuilding. Does anyone know of some good books that will help me through this endeavor.

Thanks
captden

Hi Captden,

The following are links to books which appear to be excellent. Some of these are absolutely free. Considering the cost of a good manual, if you can find one, please consider giving a reasonable donation to Dennison Berwick for making this material available. I have done a lot of searching and there is very little to be found in many searches but Dennison gives it on a platter. I am buying his book as well as a donation to help and show that I appreciate his work. I hope others will do the same, it is worth it to not have to spend many hours searching and coming up with nothing.

There might also be some here: https://www.marinedieselbasics.com/d...ngine-manuals/

https://www.google.com.au/books/edit...J?hl=en&gbpv=0

Manuals for Perkins Diesel Engines

(including Perkins Perama and Perkins Sabre)
Perkins Ltd. was founded in Peterborough, England by Frank Perkins and Charles Wallace Chapman in 1932. Its legendary 6.354 diesel engine started production in 1960, the year after the company was bought by Massey Ferguson, and continued until 1996. By then more than one million 6.354 engines had been built in Peterborough. Perkins was bought by Caterpillar in 1998.

That is a photo of Dennison with his book. Let me know what you think of the manuals, I would be very interested in your opinion. Links below are from a search I just did, so I haven't seen them, but hope they are of some assistance to you. They are not from Dennison.

FORD 2722 SERVICE MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib

ManualsLib › Brands › Ford Manuals › Engine › 2722

View and Download Ford 2722 service manual online. 2722 engine pdf manual download. Also for: 2723, 2726, 2728t, 2725.

Ford 2725 Manuals | ManualsLib

www.manualslib.com › Brands › Ford Manuals › Engine

Ford 2725 Pdf User Manuals. View online or download Ford 2725 Service Manual, Operator's Handbook Manual. ... New and Overhauled Pumps.

Ford Lehman Marine Diesel Parts - Find The Information Here
Ad
https://www.search-hq.com/search/results

Find Ford Lehman Marine Diesel Parts. Get Useful Information in Seconds. Search-HQ Helping You Find Relevant Information On What Your Are Looking For Now. Accurate Results. Best Results Here. Quality Information. Reliable Details. Relevant Articles. Get Answers. Dependable Sources. Explore Now. Learn More. Types: Business, Technology, Education, Health, Real Estate, News.➤Visit Website

Ford Lehman Marine Diesel Parts - Fast Results, Reliable Info
Ad
https://search.carsgenius.com/au/findcarinfo

Compare Ford Lehman Marine Diesel Parts. CarsGenius.com Delivers Comprehensive Information and Reviews on Ford Lehman Marine Diesel Parts. Make An Inquiry. Auto Experts. Comprehensive Reviews. Trustworthy And Reliable. Models: Luxury Sedans, Trucks, SUVs.Polaris Canada PartsVolvo Penta Parts CanadaMarine Vessel Tracker
Track Marine VesselsVolvo Penta Marine Parts

➤Visit Website

h3.cjk { font-family: "Noto Sans CJK SC Regular" }h3.ctl { font-family: "Lohit Devanagari" }p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 115% }a:link { so-language: zxx }

Regards,
Abo
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 04:56   #10

I have a Westerbeke W80 and the manual for the engine does a pretty good job of telling you how to rebuild everything from the injectors, to the fuel pump, to the entire engine.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 14:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by captden View Post

Thanks
captden

Your Ford Lehman is the perfect engine to learn about rebuilding. First off you need a good well lit space to work in and quite a few boxes and trays to allow all the parts to be stored safely and in order of removal. For a beginner it’s difficult to assess what’s good and what’s not regarding wear and damage especially if the history of the engine is unknown..... (why was it replaced by the previous owner?).
Be prepared for some heavy lifting (your Ford is no lightweight) and get set up for some industrial level component cleaning. You will also need a torque wrench,a good set of tools, a good supply of hand cleaner and a comfortable place to sit and have a coffee.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, rebuild