Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 19:08   #1

Brain teaser Alternator Pulley ratios to RPM

I put a 2.5" dia pulley alternator on my perkins prima 50 M50 engine in place of the stock alterator which had a 3" dia pulley. So the alernator makes the RPMS on the gage read fast I believe. I think it is either 18% or 20% faster. (So if the gage is reading 2000 rpm its actually running at 1600? )Who knows the correct number?
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 19:41   #2

Re: Brain teaser Alternator Pulley ratios to RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I put a 2.5" dia pulley alternator on my perkins prima 50 M50 engine in place of the stock alterator which had a 3" dia pulley. So the alernator makes the RPMS on the gage read fast I believe. I think it is either 18% or 20% faster. (So if the gage is reading 2000 rpm its actually running at 1600? )Who knows the correct number?
It is correct that you will be reading faster on the tach than you would with the stock pulley. To actually calculate the difference we would need to have the diameter of the drive pulley as well.

Most tachometers I am familiar with have a calibration on the back that allows you to fix this. Get an inexpensive laser tach, measure actual engine RPM and tweak the calibration screw until the dial matches.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 19:45   #3

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Assuming the 2.5" and the 3" are actual pitch diameters the speed of the engine with the new pulley is ~.833 times the speed that the tach says.
Be that as it may, inconsistencies in belt manufacturing as well as belt wear and the tension applied all work to change the reading an alternator driven tach will show.
Old Today, 20:53   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post

Most tachometers I am familiar with have a calibration on the back that allows you to fix this. Get an inexpensive laser tach, measure actual engine RPM and tweak the calibration screw until the dial matches.
^^ THIS

Even cheaper than an inexpensive tach is a free tach app for your smartphone. There are a few around.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, rpm