Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2021, 15:45   #1

Boat: C&C 30 Mk I
Bukh DV10 "NR" mystery

What the heck is a "Bukh DV10 NR"???

The background.... I've been rehabilitating a C&C 30 that sat disassembled in a warehouse after the PO passed away mid-refit 13 years ago, and the Bukh DV10 engine has proven a bit of a mystery. The air filter cover has a "Bukh DV10 M" sticker, and the original operating manual that came with the boat says "DV 10 M and DV 10 ME" on the cover. Yet, the pics and diagrams in the "operating manual" that came with the boat and the online "Bukh DV 10 M Owners manual" pdf don't exactly match the DV10 that I actually have. They're very similar of course, but the components are often in different places -- and are sometimes different.

So today, I disassembled some cabinetry to properly access the starboard side (when facing rear, toward the flywheel) in search of a water drain plug cited in the manual, and I found myself staring at a config of fuel pumps etc that really don't match the DV10 M -- and on the engine was stamped "Bukh DV10 NR."

Aha! An "NR" model! I rushed for the internet to research that model and... nadda. The internet has never heard of a Bukh DV10 NR. I googled all combinations (e.g., just "Bukh NR"), but the only vague hit I can find is a fleeting allusion to a "Bukh DV20 NR" -- but mine is not a DV20, it's definitely a DV10. (Circa 1975 per a plaque on the engine.)

Can anyone point me at a Bukh DV10 NR manual or give me any other info? The difference is already causing problems, e.g. imperfectly accurate manuals; and it's likely to bite me in the ass in the future when it comes to parts (e.g., the fuel lift pump info for the DV10 M is a different model that the fuel pump that I actually have).
Buddy_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 16:18   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Bukh DV10 "NR" mystery

My boat is a 1974 and had a DV10 but it leaked oil like a sieve and blew a head gasket after sitting on the hard for 5 years. I was able to start it a few times though.

This in 2011

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 16:46   #3

Ouch, Thomm. Bad luck there!
Old 21-11-2021, 08:25   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Hmmmm. I'm inclined to say that you have more documentation than a lot of us.

Quote: "starboard side (when facing rear, toward the flywheel)." Starbboard is the right side of the boat facing forward, and remains that side when you turn around. It is not a substitute for "right."

OK. Engine manufacturers frequently change the parts they take off the shelf, as opposed to the ones they make themselves, when supplies change or a better fit is found. The game then is identifying those off the shelf parts, in large part because they'll be a bunch cheaper taken from the source. So, my Universal M25 genset uses a Westerbeke starter at $1098 or a Kabuto at $93 from Amazon. Your task may be to find the substitutes that fit your engine. I've found that looking at images on Google can be the key - that's how I found the starter and a throttle, which turned out to be used on heavy trucks.
Old 22-11-2021, 05:10   #5

Boat: Vancouver 27'

My original manual looks identical to your online version. It lists the same 6 models on the cover as yours.

Bukh is very high profile in Denmark to this day. Here is their contact info:

• Aabenraavej 13-17
  • DK-6340 Krusaa
  • Danmark
  • E-mail: bukh@bukh.dk
  • CVR-nummer: 21165395
tel:+4574622088

Unfortunately my boat is in Denmark and I am in Portugal or I could give you filter models and such.

A great store in Egaa is AFI Marine, big store and repair shop, nice folks, good English.

+4586124366

They have nice physical catalogues and may be able to assist you with specific brand and model numbers for items you may need.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 07:32   #6

I'd recommend that you just get in direct contact with the manufacturer in Denmark. Also if you look online at their website there is a list of the various distributors around the world all of whom could help.

Best regards,

Niall.
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 07:40   #7

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

The web says these people do Bukh, but it is not named on their website
https://labordeproducts.com/about/
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 07:42   #8

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

and Canada
https://gartsidemarine.com/
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 19:22   #9

Thanks everyone! I have Bukh's info from the net and it seems that I'll have to drop them a line to see if they can email me a pdf version of the NR manual. But I thought I'd check here first, since there was a chance someone here would quickly click their fingers and point me to a manual I had missed online.

Indeed, I've already ordered filters + impellers from Gartside Marine here in Canada in the past. Very friendly folk! But Bukh parts are just a small niche from among their stock of many brands, and they couldn't be expected to answer a very specific answer about a rare 1975 engine alone the lines of: "Why does the Bukh DV10 ME manual cite a water drain plug, but there appears to be none on the DV10 NR?"

Thanks again, all!
Old 23-11-2021, 14:04   #10

Boat: Dix 43 HD

There is also a Bukh Marine diesel owners facebook page that may help
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 11:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grattaway View Post
There is also a Bukh Marine diesel owners facebook page that may help
Good tip! I have to admit that I didn't think there'd be one for something so specific, but there is. I'll definitely try there.

Meanwhile, I dropped an email to Bukh in Denmark, asking to buy a manual. I'll give them a couple days to reply.

Tags
bukh