Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 23:05   #1

Boat: Javelin 38 yawl "Highland"
Send a message via Skype™ to Dagvald
Bukh DV20 Flushing and Testing

My ( new for me) BUKH DV20 marine diesel with 2.5 reduction gear. I have the workshop manual but it's not clear the function of these two hoses which were apparently cut at the time the motor was pulled. I want to flush and back flush the block prior to test running. Then, if all goes well, set it up fresh water cooled.

I'll be very grateful if anyone can tell me the function of these two hoses. Of course, I'll also be grateful for any tips on converting the DV20 to fresh water cooling.

Here's the link to high-res photo on flickr.com: Hoses 2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thank you so much.
Dagvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:06   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37
My Bukh 20 doesn't have a manifold drain and one on the block is just a drain. I think the tubes were just draining to a convenient container.

If I were you I'd take the front water injector off and clean out the salt around this area. Drop the manifold off and remove the anode plug then fire some high pressure water into the water jacket to remove the sediment.

I'd also check the exhaust elbow for carbon buildup inside by unscrewing or unbolting at the manifold. These usually only last a few years. I just replaced mine because it had cracked and the buildup of carbon had reduced the hole to about 12mm.

Pleased to see yours looks in pretty much the same condition as mine.. A repaint would be nice.

After 23 years of salt water there doesn't appear to be any corrosion inside mine so I'm not so sure I'd bother with converting to fresh water.
MechMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:44   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Get in touch with Bukh. They are still in the business. Will support.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bukh, cooling, dv20, engine flushing