Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2016, 08:54   #16

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Can anyone identify this engine?

No problem.

How does the current owner have a repowered engine and not know of the model? I'd now be worried about the engine (and everything else) not being maintained properly. Maybe if the owner paid for the yard to take care of everything, I'd be ok, but it still wouldn't give me warm feelings...

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 08:55   #17

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSails View Post
Could be a Bukh, 27-33 Hp, most models have a large flywheel in front but not all. Check the side of the heat exchanger, maybe the model plate was painted over. Knowing the make and year of the boat will help us help you.
Boat was apparently re-powered which is part of my problem identifying the engine. It is also about a 4 hour drive away from me so I can't look for the identifying ID tag until I go back.
Oldlaxer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 08:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
No problem.

How does the current owner have a repowered engine and not know of the model? I'd now be worried about the engine (and everything else) not being maintained properly. Maybe if the owner paid for the yard to take care of everything, I'd be ok, but it still wouldn't give me warm feelings...
Because he didn't do the repower.
Old 21-11-2016, 10:02   #19

Looks to me like the Mitsubishi block that was the common basis for a lot of the three-bangers 40 years ago regardless of what they called themselves, or what colour they had. One possibility not yet mentioned is Vetus 25/27HP.

All of the "marinizers" (someone here called them "re-branding outfits masquerading as manufacturers". Very apt indeed! ) were in the habit of grinding off the engine ID numbers in order to compel poor benighted sailor-folk to buy their spares, at exorbitant mark-ups, from the marinizer rather than from an industrial supplier. That is why in Europe - and to me - Vetus is known as "Cheat-us".

If I am right that this is the Mitzi used in for the Vetus 3-10M, you will find that the same block was used in huge quantities of small industrial equipment such as "Toro" lawn keeping equipment and various "on site" emergency lighting equipment.

But matching parts is still a bugger given the variations of bits used over the engine's manufacturing life. The exhaust bits and other stuff specific to a marinized engyne are NOT Vetus judging by the pictures, and they differ from marinizer to marinizer. However, if the manifold/heat exchanger fits on the block, a "modification" should be relatively easy regardless of who made the exhaust components.

You can't go by the colour. Any pier-jump mechanic can buy a spray can of paint. Reputable engine rebuild shops try to match the original colour, but the sundry marinizers have enough clout that they can use a colour specifically mixed for them and very difficult to get in the after market.

So what particular bit is it you need? Or are you just "doing your homework"? Does the engine do its job at this time?

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 10:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post

So what particular bit is it you need? Or are you just "doing your homework"? Does the engine do its job at this time?

TrentePieds
I am doing my homework. Boat is on the hard and we didn't have the necessary things available at the time to start it. It needs to be bled and the battery was low. Heading back to the boat later this week with everything we should need to start it. I was mostly interested in the manual and parts list for the motor as well as the HP.

I still have the Atomic 4 in my Tartan so I'm trying to gain as much diesel knowledge as I can before returning.
I will have the boat surveyed prior to purchase in case anyone is wondering.

Thanks everyone for the help.

John
Old 21-11-2016, 10:44   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
It is a Westerbeke, sorry I should have said that part. I'm just not sure of the model or more importantly the HP. Owner has no clue...
If the owner has no clue, how is he/she maintaining it?
Old 21-11-2016, 11:51   #22

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
It's a Westerbeke 30B Three, which is 27hp.

See page 8 of the manual:

https://www.westerbeke.com/operator'...%20rev%205.pdf

Or the pictures in this post:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...sys-57725.html
I can confirm its a 30B3 - Mitsu block - I have one on my boat.

Also, the fuel pump is self bleeding - no need to bleed.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 11:54   #23

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

Count the injectors (3): you have a 3 cylinder 27 hp Westerbeke 30B. Most Westerbekes are red (altho some of the early Westerbekes were green - I have one of these green ones that powers my Generator) - still running like a champ!. And I see now that someone has supplied the manual! It's a great engine.
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 12:26   #24

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet

At least it is not green and Swedish.
Old 21-11-2016, 14:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
I'm looking at buying a boat and wasn't able to find the model number on the engine. Any help would be appreciated.

John
Take a bright light and look on both sides of the engine on the block and you should be able to find a manufacturer print. Near the head gasket on the forward part of the block you should be able to find a serial or model number... definitely a Westerbeke ... make of engine...?
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 18:04   #26

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Picture of Valve Cover from the OP did not even come close to the ribbing shown in the pdf manual. Rib is curved on his with rounded cover. Not squared off as in pdf of manual. Only thing in common is red paint. Sorry to burst bubbles.
Old 21-11-2016, 19:07   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

my vote is a westerbeke as well-- looks ver similar to the 3 cylinder westerbeke that runs my generator.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 07:12   #28

I actually got this reply from Westerbeke this morning.
Thanks again for all the help.

The photos you sent show the engine model to be our 30B/Three model.

Attached is a copy of the sales brochure for that model. You can see from the photo on the sales brochure where the unit's I.D. plate is located and this has the model and serial number stamped in it.

Kind Regards,

Westerbeke Corporation
Old 01-12-2016, 10:07   #29

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Oldlaxer, how did it go? Did it fire up?
updates please.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:51   #30

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Looks to me like the Mitsubishi block that was the common basis for a lot of the three-bangers 40 years ago regardless of what they called themselves, or what colour they had. One possibility not yet mentioned is Vetus 25/27HP.

All of the "marinizers" (someone here called them "re-branding outfits masquerading as manufacturers". Very apt indeed! ) were in the habit of grinding off the engine ID numbers in order to compel poor benighted sailor-folk to buy their spares, at exorbitant mark-ups, from the marinizer rather than from an industrial supplier. That is why in Europe - and to me - Vetus is known as "Cheat-us".

If I am right that this is the Mitzi used in for the Vetus 3-10M, you will find that the same block was used in huge quantities of small industrial equipment such as "Toro" lawn keeping equipment and various "on site" emergency lighting equipment.

But matching parts is still a bugger given the variations of bits used over the engine's manufacturing life. The exhaust bits and other stuff specific to a marinized engyne are NOT Vetus judging by the pictures, and they differ from marinizer to marinizer. However, if the manifold/heat exchanger fits on the block, a "modification" should be relatively easy regardless of who made the exhaust components.

You can't go by the colour. Any pier-jump mechanic can buy a spray can of paint. Reputable engine rebuild shops try to match the original colour, but the sundry marinizers have enough clout that they can use a colour specifically mixed for them and very difficult to get in the after market.

TrentePieds

Yep looks like a mits to me as well . I tried to rebuild mine but the parts were adding up so I gave up , and bought a yanmar .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine