Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2020, 03:58   #1

Boat: 1973 SHE 32C
Can I swap some YSM and YSE components

Does anybody know if Yanmar YSM parts (alternator, water pump, starter motor) fit the YSE model (1973 YSE 12) ? I’ve found a Yanmar Parts manual which is a bit inconclusive and somebody else has suggested

“YSE alternator used external regulator. The YSM alternator had a built-in regulator so wiring is different. Water pump for the YSE is on the left side (view from the front) and the YSM is on the other side and pulley and mounting are different. Also rotation is not the same”

Do the experts here agree with the above ?

I’m just trying to source some parts and want to make sure they fit !! And getting hold of YSE parts is difficult these days (feel free to contact me if you have any in the UK)

Thanks in advance.
Eebygumlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 05:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Can I swap some YSM and YSE components

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Eebygumlad.

Yanmar YSE Service Manual
https://www.sailingthanksdad.com/doc...viceManual.pdf
Yanmar YSM Service Manual
http://www.devill.net/Documentation/Yanmar/YSM-8-12.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 05:48   #3

Boat: 41' yawl

Generally you want the ‘parts’ manuals for these sorts of questions.

Often there’s 4 styles of manual- Installation, User, Service, and Parts.

You get the least ambiguity about parts from the Parts manual, with exploded diagrams showing all the individual teeny weenie parts as well as sub-assemblies composed of a bunch of those parts and assigned a part number itself.

Google the respective part numbers and you may find some cross reference tables that let you know which part #s can be used in place of others.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 06:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

QUICK REFERENCE FOR Yanmar PARTS
http://j30.us/files/Yanmar-parts-Qui...rence-2007.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 09:22   #5

Thanks for those links, my YSE manuals are on the boat but looking at these online copies it looks like the advice I was given is correct and the YSM alternator and water pump are not transferable so that has saved me wasting some money !

Cheers, Andrew
Old 23-10-2020, 14:45   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eebygumlad View Post
Thanks for those links, my YSE manuals are on the boat but looking at these online copies it looks like the advice I was given is correct and the YSM alternator and water pump are not transferable so that has saved me wasting some money !

Cheers, Andrew

Welcome to the forum,
I can't speak for him but you could PM Atoll in Cornwall. Just use the search function. Atoll helped me out when I needed a YSE 8 conrod which is the same as YSB 8. He knows a dealer who knows those YS series engines as well.
I'm pretty sure he'll help you out if he can.
I can get major rebuild parts but not the ones you want. Also I'd ask around locally to see if you can find someone with a YSM 12 to compare parts.

Just because they have different part no.s it doesnt mean the parts are different. Yanmar likes to make it difficult.

. Or I can send you a YSM 12 workshop manual.
They are noisy shakey engines but easy to fix, reliable & long lasting if maintained properly
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 16:34   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

give john a call at cellar marine on the lizard,they have lots of old ysm,ysb,yse engines that they sell parts from as well as new spares.
very helpful

Cellar Marine Ltd
Retail Boatbuilding, maintenance & repair
TR12 6PP
01326 280214
01326 280334
john@cellarmarine.com
Cellarmarine.com
Cornwall’s main dealer for Yanmar inboard engines. New and reconditioned engines supplied. We offer a comprehensive range of spares that are always in stock. We also carry stern gear, shafts, propellers, cables – everything to fit an engine to a boat. Repairs and servicing undertaken. Also stockists of Stuart-Turner and Vire petrol engines. Members of the British Marine Federation.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 17:25   #8

Several years ago I got a hold of used Yanmar QM15 to replace a conked out MD11. Turned out that the QM had a sticky starter. The friend helping me with the swap opened it up and just cleaned it a bit and it worked flawlessly while I owned that boat.

While uncoupling and opening the starter the friend commented that it was run of the mill auomotive Lucas and if we won't be able to bring it to life, instead of paying Yanmar $900 for the privilege of installing a new one, it can be replaced by pretty much any identical used Lucas which are a dime a dozen (+/-$50) at the auto starter shops.

BTW, same friend (a marine diesel mechanic with 45+ years of experience) commented that many (most?) of the old windlasses have Lucas starter guts inside. And consequently can be inexpensively rebuilt if desired.

This was when I got a used Nillsen H700 and before going to trouble of installing it asked my friend to check it out for a possible rebuild. But we found out that the then 40 year old Lucas guts looked and worked like new so we just greased the parts as needed, painted the case cover inside and out and closed it up.

So much for "exclusively brand/model" parts.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 17:48   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Be cautious about using any old starter motor on a Y series Yanmar (and possibly on the QM series).

The 'proper' Yanmar starter motor has an oil seal the armature shaft where as many after market starter motors do not have this seal. The seal prevents oil migrating form the gear cog end of the shaft towards the commutator / brush end.

These engines have a wet clutch and the oil from inside the flywheel / clutch housing splashes into the starter motor. The seal is very helpful in keeping this oil out of the brushes.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 20:43   #10

Boat: Farr 1020

I was advised by marine mechanics (Yan are agents) that the YSB and YSE differ Only in the change from cast iron to aluminium gearbox. No idea of the YSM though as I had the B.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 21:27   #11
Marine Service Provider

Forgot to say it's likely you can get the starter, alternator & water pump repaired depending on what is wrong with them. Water pumps aren't very difficult if you are mechanically inclined & you dont have to use Yanmar parts probably.

Just take the alternator & starter to an auto sparky who has been in business a fair while.
Old 25-10-2020, 11:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Welcome to the forum,
I can't speak for him but you could PM Atoll in Cornwall. Just use the search function. Atoll helped me out when I needed a YSE 8 conrod which is the same as YSB 8. He knows a dealer who knows those YS series engines as well.
I'm pretty sure he'll help you out if he can.
I can get major rebuild parts but not the ones you want. Also I'd ask around locally to see if you can find someone with a YSM 12 to compare parts.

Just because they have different part no.s it doesnt mean the parts are different. Yanmar likes to make it difficult.

. Or I can send you a YSM 12 workshop manual.
They are noisy shakey engines but easy to fix, reliable & long lasting if maintained properly
Many thanks for that I will look them up.

I’ve had my 1973 Sparkman & Stephen’s designed SHE32C two years now and the YSE12 engine has been very reliable after I rebuilt the water pump. It helped my circumnavigate Ireland last year and NI and the Western Isles this summer.

I’m thinking of a long trip next year from Anglesey, across Biscay to Spain so I’m trying to build up a number of spares now..... as I like to have a contingency plan for all eventualities !

Thanks again, Andrew
Eebygumlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 11:49   #13

Many thanks for that information ��
Old 25-10-2020, 14:39   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eebygumlad View Post
Many thanks for that I will look them up.

I’ve had my 1973 Sparkman & Stephen’s designed SHE32C two years now and the YSE12 engine has been very reliable after I rebuilt the water pump. It helped my circumnavigate Ireland last year and NI and the Western Isles this summer.

I’m thinking of a long trip next year from Anglesey, across Biscay to Spain so I’m trying to build up a number of spares now..... as I like to have a contingency plan for all eventualities !

Thanks again, Andrew

Nice looking yacht,
You can use another alternator ( doesn't have to be Yanmar/hitachi) that fits on your mounts as well if you know how to wire it up. Most common faults on alternator are brushes, bearings & voltage regulator AFAIK.
A useful tip I give to YS series motor owners is to check the oil pump clearances as specified in the service manual. High hours motors are prone to wear there. The rotor wears down into the case & the clearances get too big. It's easy enough to screw a mechanical gauge in where the oil pressure switch is & check oil pressure but make sure the engine is hot when checking oil pressure. You don't want to chew out the flywheel end main bearing as it costs about NZ$ 600
Next common failure point is exhaust elbows which when they fail are the most common cause of YS series engines problems. They dump salt water on top of the exhaust valve when they leak.
Far better IMO to make one out of schedule 10 316L ss than buy Yanmars cast-iron horror. If you put the water injection on the downhill side then it wont leak onto exhaust v/v + it's cheaper & far longer lasting. I'll attach a picture of an example.
The other thing is its cheaper to make as you can stick weld sched. 10 no worries, no need for TIG & purging.

Good luck on your adventures, sounds like a good trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_000034(1).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	225832