Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 10:17   #61

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Cape Dory 28 outboard motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Well put! An outboard is fine for a boat designed for one but why bastardize one designed for an inboard.
This is good news for me at least because a Bristol 27 came with both options although the factory models had an extra hole in the hull to accommodate the outboard while my boat does not

Plus I get extra exercise thru stretching and lifting etc to get the motor up. I have to squat on the back of the aft lazarette by the stern railing to get the outboard up and tied off out of the water sometimes with the boat heeled over 25 degrees......this helps to keep an old man young

Plus I don't need a starter battery for my 5 hp 4 stroke outboard
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:20   #62

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
There's no divide......
Oh come on. Be a big boy and own what comes out of your mouth.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:25   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Oh come on. Be a big boy and own what comes out of your mouth.
I'm real sorry if you are having trouble with the discussion.

But don't let it upset you. It's just to get all the points out concerning the two modes of powering a sailboat
Old 03-04-2018, 10:28   #64

Quote:
I'm real sorry if you are having trouble with the discussion

But don't let it upset you. It's just to get all the point out concerning the two mode of powering a sailboat
Yeah? That's what I came here to read. But reading many of your comments, I thought it was about the styles, behaviors, and skills of the people who chose one way or the other.

I'd go back and quote the 3 or 4 crystal clear examples of "us vs. them" in your messages, but I know you already know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:31   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I have met serious cruisers using outboards, they got along just fine.

For me the biggest drawbacks to an outboard as backup propulsion are; gasoline storage (most cruisers are carrying gas for their dinghy anyway), loss of room on the transom for windvane, davits, ladders etc. bouncing the prop out of the water when it's rough, lack of battery charging ability, poor fuel economy and overall looks.

By having an outboard in a well and an outboard with charging capabilities you can eliminate most of those problems.

That being said, I can count on my fingers how many use outboards compared to the thousands of boats I've seen with diesels.

Would I be cruising if my only choice were an outboard bolted to my transom? Absolutely! But given a choice, it's a diesel, even if it makes me a lousy sailor. ;^)

goat
Some good points here but you have to realize that some of us spent years reading about folks like Robin Lee Graham and later James Baldwin that circumnavigated with outboards (or engineless)

So when I did find my good ole boat it didn't really upset me too much when the diesels failed.

I wanted an education on monohulls and I got one by removing and replacing the gear box, then the diesel engine which included pulling the good gear box off the failed engine, replacing the packing in the stuffing box, aligning the engine, then later removing everything for the outboard
Old 03-04-2018, 10:35   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Yeah? That's what I came here to read. But reading many of your comments, I thought it was about the styles, behaviors, and skills of the people who chose one way or the other.

I'd go back and quote the 3 or 4 crystal clear examples of "us vs. them" in your messages, but I know you already know what I'm talking about.
Sometimes these threads get boring.

So at times I have to recharge them so the folks that know a lot will share what they know

And it gives us something to do when we aren't sailing and many times you (even I) learn something

Btw, when I'm motoring, my outboard sticks out maybe 1 1/2 ' behind my boat due to the bracket being down

Does this mean my Bristol 27 would be faster than a Bristol 27 with it's outboard in the well while motoring due to my increased water line? (in flat water, both boats with the same outboard)
Old 03-04-2018, 10:51   #67

Quote:
Sometimes these threads get boring.

So at times I have to recharge them so the folks that know a lot will share what they know

And it gives us something to do when we aren't sailing and many times you (even I) learn something

Quote:
Btw, when I'm motoring, my outboard sticks out maybe 1 1/2 ' behind my boat due to the bracket being down

Does this mean my Bristol 27 would be faster than a Bristol 27 with it's outboard in the well while motoring due to my increased water line? (in flat water, both boats with the same outboard)
LOL - neat question.

I suspect you haven't really increased the water line in the traditional sense since there's somewhat of a gap between the end of the boat's waterline and the motor, right? Enough to dork with the water flow, allow turbulence etc, but personally I don't have a great intuitive understanding of the whole waterline length and hull speed relationship.

Its definitely a rule of thumb, though.. For example, I can't expect to increase my hull speed by, say, dragging a fishing pole from my transom.
Old 03-04-2018, 14:15   #68

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

When the diesel on my Westerly Centaur bit the dust, I repowered with a 9.9 outboard. I did a few trips to the Bahamas and one from southern Lake Michigan to Western Lake Superior with that outboard before selling her. Overall, I prefer a diesel inboard but the outboard did have the advantage of tighter turning, less weight and space, same fuel as dingy outboard and of course much cheaper.

I’d also recommend getting a professional evaluation before writing off the inboard.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:40   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Hello Don

Welcome

Much good advice upthread.

I would kindly suggest that you need a complete and accurate assessment of the condition of the Yanmar before making any decisions. Perhaps all it needs is the fuel line to be bled and to be brought up to date on maintenance. Perhaps the problems are more serious. It is possible to spend thousands of dollars if they are.

Yes, you can move a boat that size with a small outboard, and many do. How well that will work depends on your goals. The outboard will be louder. It will not produce a substantial amount of electricity. If you intend to keep fuel below decks, there are certain safety measures required (blowers and ignition protected electrical components) that are not necessary for diesel. Depending on how the outboard is installed, it may not perform as well as a diesel would in heavy seas.

On any boating forum, the "community" is quick to encourage other people to spend their money. Keep in mind that it is your choice and your cash.

Here’s an update on my diesel problem. A friend of mine is a retired marine mechanic of long experience. He was happy to come over and take a look. After operating the lift pump for a few minutes and after a couple of false starts it fired up fine and now is running like a switch watch. One belt needs tightening and the tachometer doesn’t work but I can fix those small problems.

They say pirates still exist, you find them in boatyards. Despite being recommended to me by a friend I think the first mechanic saw me as just a mark to be taken advantage of.

Thanks for all your kind suggestions including getting a second opinion.
Don55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:47   #70

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Congratulations! Yer gonna have a blast now, send photos!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 13:40   #71

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Reaching over the transom and steering with an outboard is not only doable but makes an old long keel boat highly maneuverable. I do it all the time. The CD has the advantage of not having a lazarette in the way too. A 15hp outboard is way more power than my 29 footer needs, but I like the sound of having a 140 hp... I wonder if I could get it planing?
Don, the second time you mentioned you have 140HP. Good for you, relevant? It must be in gest.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 18:30   #72

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Don, the second time you mentioned you have 140HP. Good for you, relevant? It must be in gest.
Ha! I was referring back to flyingfin’s 140 hp....
I wonder if I could get that to fit???
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, motor, outboard