Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2018, 14:32   #1

Cape Dory 28 outboard motor?

Question for all you experienced sailors. I bought a 1979 Cape Dory 28 sailboat with. 2005 yanmar 2GM diesel engine. My previous experience has been in the 21 foot range with small 4 stroke outboard engines. This engine needs an overhaul and will have to come out of the boat. I’m looking at the cost of the overhaul and all the space I would have plus the holes I could plug if I reengined instead with an outboard motor. Plus backing up would be a lot easier.

So my question is: Is switching to an outboard a feasible option? I live in Fort Lauderdale and tidal currents can run up to 2 knots at the 17th avenue bridge. I would have to build a transom engine mount. What do you folks think?
Don55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 14:40   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Cape Dory 28 outboard motor?

I think you are always better served repairing the inboard diesel, what leads you to believe your 2005 Yanmar requires an "overhaul" ?
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 14:46   #3

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don55 View Post
Question for all you experienced sailors. I bought a 1979 Cape Dory 28 sailboat with. 2005 yanmar 2GM diesel engine. My previous experience has been in the 21 foot range with small 4 stroke outboard engines. This engine needs an overhaul and will have to come out of the boat. I’m looking at the cost of the overhaul and all the space I would have plus the holes I could plug if I reengined instead with an outboard motor. Plus backing up would be a lot easier.

So my question is: Is switching to an outboard a feasible option? I live in Fort Lauderdale and tidal currents can run up to 2 knots at the 17th avenue bridge. I would have to build a transom engine mount. What do you folks think?
It's certainly possible. I would imagine resale would be much better with the inboard. That hull I imagine would be fine with a high thrust 9.9 outboard. As I recall Atom voyages did something similar but with outboard well added to their Triton.
Old 29-03-2018, 14:48   #4

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Sailboats with outboards are made for small lakes. You outboard engine will cavitate constantly once you leave the dock in Lauderdale, between the power boat wakes and offshore waves.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 15:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I think you are always better served repairing the inboard diesel, what leads you to believe your 2005 Yanmar requires an "overhaul" ?

The boat and motor were neglected for almost 2 years due to the owners health problems. Currently it turns over but won’t start.
Old 29-03-2018, 15:08   #6

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

All diesels require 3 things to run, compression, fuel and air. Make sure the fuel is new and clean and that there is no air in the lines or fuel/ water separator. I doubt it needs a overhaul, but a mechanic can check it out a determine the problem. The fact it turns over is a good thing.
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 15:14   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
The boat and motor were neglected for almost 2 years due to the owners health problems. Currently it turns over but won’t start.

That’s a long way from needing an overhaul. Did you bleed the fuel line, for example?

Diesels are sturdy equipment. Simply sitting for two years without running does not in itself mean anything.
Old 29-03-2018, 15:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
That’s a long way from needing an overhaul. Did you bleed the fuel line, for example?

Diesels are sturdy equipment. Simply sitting for two years without running does not in itself mean anything.

Thats good to know. Im a small outboard guy and kind of in over my head with this boat. No complaints, I love it. Haven’t bled the line. Will give that a go with some fresh fuel. The mechanic was recommended by a family friend and has a good reputation. There is a lot of corrosion visible on the engine from this salt water environment.
Old 29-03-2018, 16:34   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Sailboats with outboards are made for small lakes. You outboard engine will cavitate constantly once you leave the dock in Lauderdale, between the power boat wakes and offshore waves.
Many sailboats have circumnavigated with outboards.......

Here's one crossing the Atlantic with just an outboard for auxiliary power. We are talking sailboats here right where the sails are the main power source?

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 16:40   #10

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
It's certainly possible. I would imagine resale would be much better with the inboard. That hull I imagine would be fine with a high thrust 9.9 outboard. As I recall Atom voyages did something similar but with outboard well added to their Triton.
James Baldwin of the Atom Voyages Website at first used a 3.5 hp outboard on a bracket attached to the stern to power his 8,000lb displacement sailboat (when he wasn't sailing engineless) after he removed his Atomic 4 then later after two circumnavigations put a 6 hp outboard in the well

Atom Voyages - The Sailboat Atom

I removed my diesel in 2011 and have had a 5 hp 4 stroke outboard on the stern ever since.....
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 17:49   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Thats good to know. Im a small outboard guy and kind of in over my head with this boat. No complaints, I love it. Haven’t bled the line. Will give that a go with some fresh fuel. The mechanic was recommended by a family friend and has a good reputation. There is a lot of corrosion visible on the engine from this salt water environment.
You need a second opinion. A friend of a friend does not insure sound mechanical advice.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 18:13   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I'm an outboard guy, and use an 8hp high-thrust long shaft OB on my 31', ten-ton cutter. Still, I'd recommend giving the diesel a sporting chance--spring for a mechanic to take a look. Even if he dings you for $1,000, that's less than half of buying a 9.9 and a bracket, plus the haulout to plug the holes, plus the cost of removing the diesel, etc, etc..
Old 29-03-2018, 19:26   #13

Boat: Catalina 320

If it turns over you can probably make it run for less money than retro-fitting an outboard, these diesels are dead simple.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 19:56   #14
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

What is the actual beam width on that Dory 28?

Yes you could convert to outboard, may well be fine for you, but unlikely to be cheaper - if done right - than getting the diesel running smoothly.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 20:39   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

This thread may be of interest to you:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...up-198981.html

It certainly can be done, but I would strongly echo others here and don't give up yet on that diesel! I have an outboard but that is because my boat was not built for an inboard. That CD28 is such a sweet little boat, and with a diesel you will be much happier and you will thank us for encouraging you to get the engine running! Also, removing the diesel will drop the value of the boat considerably.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, motor, outboard