Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2021, 10:05   #46

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Change engine oil annually even if it's pristine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If you should watch the video in post 40 you might find some semi-scientific data that disagrees with your belief.

The testing isn't rigorous IMO, but it has more validity than the god-will-strke-your-engine-dead if you fail to change your nearly virgin oil at the one year point tales being promoted upthread.

Jim
Jim,
I would agree there were some good things pointed out in the video but only comparing the two new oils. The other testing was about the least scientific that I have ever seen.
Roger
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 13:43   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Jim,
I would agree there were some good things pointed out in the video but only comparing the two new oils. The other testing was about the least scientific that I have ever seen.
Roger
Roger, I don't want to watch the video over again, but did they not send the used oil for analysis, and did that analysis not report that the acidity was negligible and that the additives were still active and in good supply? And was the interior of the filter can that was dissected not free from corrosion?

From memory, that was my take.

Jim
Old 18-10-2021, 14:14   #48

Quote:
Roger, I don't want to watch the video over again, but did they not send the used oil for analysis, and did that analysis not report that the acidity was negligible and that the additives were still active and in good supply? And was the interior of the filter can that was dissected not free from corrosion?

From memory, that was my take.

Jim
Jim,
There was no control of samples. Some from a pick up and some from a tractor if I recall. I like you, don't care to watch it again but it sounds like comparing apples and oranges. A given no. of hours each on a similar engine engine would produce a valid comparison, or close to it. The video was horse feathers. JMHO
Roger
Old 18-10-2021, 15:28   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I'll put it another way, can anyone show me an engine that has been stored for years with used oil in it that has been damaged by acid attack in the parts of the engine that are submerged in oil?

Not that I'm going to change any long held beliefs & why should I care if people throw away perfectly good oil. But it's enviromentally damaging wasting good oil, thats the part that annoys me
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 01:32   #50

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Jim,
There was no control of samples. Some from a pick up and some from a tractor if I recall. I like you, don't care to watch it again but it sounds like comparing apples and oranges. A given no. of hours each on a similar engine engine would produce a valid comparison, or close to it. The video was horse feathers. JMHO
Roger
Really, the point of the video in re of the OP's question is that in both cases of oil with way more hours and significantly longer use/storage period the oils still had, according to the analysis of the oils, quite adequate properties for storage and continued use.

To me, this answers the OP's question reasonably well and refutes the folks who say it is necessary to change the oil or face engine damage.

The video may be "horse feathers", but the lab results were not.

Jim
Old 19-10-2021, 09:21   #51

Quote:
Really, the point of the video in re of the OP's question is that in both cases of oil with way more hours and significantly longer use/storage period the oils still had, according to the analysis of the oils, quite adequate properties for storage and continued use.

To me, this answers the OP's question reasonably well and refutes the folks who say it is necessary to change the oil or face engine damage.

The video may be "horse feathers", but the lab results were not.

Jim
Jim,
I'll buy that!
Roger
Old 22-10-2021, 08:12   #52

Boat: Westerly Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
I dont believe time is a factor. I asked valvoline about this & they said oil does not deteriorate in it's container. Ok the engine is not a container but I've seen old engines that have sat in a shed for over 10 years & the parts in the oil are pristine.
Always done hour changes with no problems.

But some people love to dispose of perfectly good oil thinking they are helping their engine.
Not looking for an argument though as I wont change my habits anyway.
YMMV

Some small diesels with crankcase mounted fuel pumps such as Volvo Yanmar Beta Nanni and many others suffer from fuel dilution where the diesel is leakage past the fuel pump plungers into the sump. If the pump is worn this leakage can be enough to create problems if the contaminated oil is not changed. This was possible with elderly Volvo engines most of which are now retired where the engine could run away running on the oil passing the rings.
Bilgediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 13:31   #53
Marine Service Provider

Apologies I'm having trouble with the bold parts, not all was meant to be in bold, oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgediver View Post
Some small diesels with crankcase mounted fuel pumps such as Volvo Yanmar Beta Nanni and many others suffer from fuel dilution where the diesel is leakage past the fuel pump plungers into the sump. If the pump is worn this leakage can be enough to create problems if the contaminated oil is not changed. This was possible with elderly Volvo engines most of which are now retired where the engine could run away running on the oil passing the rings.
Pump plungers? are you talking lift pumps here or injection pumps?

That is a seperate mechanical issue not related to oil life [Bwithhout fuel dilution.[/B]

OP's question was does his 20 yr old oil have to be changed according to the calender.
[B]So far there have been many assertionsthat it does but no evidence
I'm not holding my breath waiting for evidence that oil needs to be changed every 6 months or even annually.
Of course there is acid byproducts from combustion[but the oil contains additives to combat that.
Whilst the engine is sitting there not combusting any fuel the acid content is not increasing as long as the additives still work AFAIK/B]

Then the question becomes how long do they still work for?
There are many that say 6 mths is the max.
I have a friend who has a diesel 4wd toyota that only gets rarely used & he gets oil analysis done. Last time he told me he was at 3 years & the analysis people said it was fine. Of course this is only one example but I would be grateful if someone can link me to a study that proves 6 mth or annual changes are necessary with modern oils.
My own '93 Toyota has only ever got km changes in over 300,000 km & it has been 2 years + btwn changes when I have been out of NZ.
Still runs very well but not a scientific study.
Old 22-10-2021, 13:58   #54
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Have a year old half bottle of synthetic mix 10w40 and it definitely wasn’t right when it came out of the bottle.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 14:27   #55
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Have a year old half bottle of synthetic mix 10w40 and it definitely wasn’t right when it came out of the bottle.
What was wrong with it?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 17:49   #56
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
What was wrong with it?

Thick and lumpy
Old 22-10-2021, 20:19   #57
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thick and lumpy
Interesting......
I wonder how the 1000's of famers across NZ & millions around the world seem to get by on their 200 litre drums of oil that often sit in their sheds for years that they do their oil topups & changes out of ?????
It's a mystery to me
Old 22-10-2021, 21:10   #58
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Thick and lumpy
Only two possibilities -

1. It wasn't right when it went into the bottle

or

2. Something else got into the bottle after it was opened.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 21:25   #59

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Well, I've only got 6600 hours on my Yanmar and I've already changed the oil three times and I'll be damned if I'm doing it again.
Old 23-10-2021, 07:35   #60
smj

Change engine oil annually even if it's pristine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Only two possibilities -

1. It wasn't right when it went into the bottle

or

2. Something else got into the bottle after it was opened.

I would say condensation but that wouldn’t account for the thickness or lumps. Was pouring it 2 days ago and made me think of this thread.

Tags
engine, oil