Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2018, 07:21   #16

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII
Re: Chinese boat engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Just buy a used engine off Craigs List. Some small engines sit in Grampa's garage forever for lake fishing and with little use.
Just so long as the buyer knows that a used engine off of Craigslist comes with NO warranty, may have been abused, neglected, or simply stored badly, and may require a big investment to get it into reliable condition.

If "grampa" left ethanol-adulterated fuel in the tank for years, clogged the cooling water intake with seaweed and overheated the engine, ran it without an air filter, or stripped out the spark plug port - that "cheap" used, name-brand engine may well cost as much as a new one. Replacement parts can be very expensive!

Sent from my XT1254 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 05:37   #17

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor

Hey guys true to form the chinese engine i bought was cutting off on me so i decided to break the bank and go with a late model Suzuki 2.5. Ill be retunring the Hangkai. The Suzuki runs much more smoothly.

ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 05:40   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ So did you end up with a Yamaha 2.5 or the Suzuki as pictured.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 05:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
^^ So did you end up with a Yamaha 2.5 or the Suzuki as pictured.
Oops Suzuki, arent they made by the same people? probably why i got them mixed up.
Old 17-07-2018, 06:20   #20

Suzuki is a bit larger i have it weighing 33 lbs while the hangkai weighs 22, the hangkai is much noisier of course the suzuki is 3 times the price however i think itll be more reliable i really dont have the expertise to determine whats wrong with an outboard...heres a comparison

Old 17-07-2018, 07:20   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So how do you like the little Zuki, I have considered a little one myself for when I’m in mooring fields and planing isn’t an option, be much lighter, and I’d assume much less theft prone.
How smooth it is, how loud? Does it vibrate the whole boat?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 07:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So how do you like the little Zuki, I have considered a little one myself for when I’m in mooring fields and planing isn’t an option, be much lighter, and I’d assume much less theft prone.
How smooth it is, how loud? Does it vibrate the whole boat?

It has a nice idle note, sort of like a purring noise, ill try to record a video of it.
Old 17-07-2018, 10:00   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chinese boat engines

Does it vibrate a lot underway?
My 20 Hp Zuki vibrates more than I expected, it’s not bad really, it’s a product of it being a four stroke I think, but the vibe is there. I was wondering being a single cylinder how much worse would that make it, although a small single may not be at all bad.

Just hearing the little Honda’s is enough so that I know I don’t want one of those
Old 17-07-2018, 11:15   #24

Quote:
My 20 Hp Zuki vibrates more than I expected, it’s not bad really, it’s a product of it being a four stroke I think, but the vibe is there. I was wondering being a single cylinder how much worse would that make it, although a small single may not be at all bad.

Just hearing the little Honda’s is enough so that I know I don’t want one of those
Yes the honda as well as most of the other outboards are all choppy.noisy sounding from what ive seen. ill try to take a vid of this one tomorrow
Old 17-07-2018, 12:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Suzuki is a bit larger i have it weighing 33 lbs while the hangkai weighs 22, the hangkai is much noisier of course the suzuki is 3 times the price however i think itll be more reliable i really dont have the expertise to determine whats wrong with an outboard...heres a comparison

One important thing i learned was not to lay an outboard upside down. i was storing the chinese outboard upside down in my bathroom however i do not think that was the cause of it stalling out because that happened before i stored it.
Old 17-07-2018, 14:47   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The hangkai comes with a 1 year warranty so im assuming if it brreaks they send me a new one? i am not sure"
Usually? A standard warranty for anything requires you to return it, at your cost, to the manufacturer. And often to pay for shipping the repaired or new part back to you.
So at best, you can expect to pay...three or four hundred dollars in freight and wait around for a while, while your motor is being flown? shipped? back to China. At best.

Even in the First World, companies go bankrupt and leave you with no warranty recourse. A warranty means nothing unless you have confidence that someone will be around to fulfill it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 14:52   #27

Since you went to the trouble of buying a chinese outboard to try, it would be interesting if you could get it running again and comment on what is wrong. Maybe a friend could help.

I nursed a couple of chinese 4-stroke engines (an inverter-generator and a water pump) back into running condition... mostly it was hygiene - good clean oil, good gas, clean the carb.

Nonetheless, I think you'll be happy with the Suzuki. We have a 1983 Suzuki 5 HP 2 stroke, and it just keeps running and running. Put 5 hours on it last weekend, when the wind died.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 16:58   #28

Quote:

Here you are vid attached, i like the engine sound, however its def not a speed demon...

Old 30-07-2018, 17:15   #29

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Here you are vid attached, i like the engine sound, however its def not a speed demon...

Hah!! I must say... I LOVE that you’re running an outboard engine in what appears to be your Brooklyn bathtub. That’s something I would do.

Edit: Wait... scratch that. Carbon monoxide!
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 17:39   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My God, that is hilarious.
My Wife saw that and said, he’s not married is he?

Tags
boat, engine