Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2013, 06:27   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I'm not sure anyone has to have first hand experience with these engines as the entire world has first hand experience with Chineese products in general.
Yes, like high end gadgets; iPhone comes to mind. Wake up, the west is making place for the east.
Old 13-04-2013, 07:21   #17

Boat: Velamar/German Frers 27
I've just bought and succesfully sold a lot of pakistani nippers and chinese barber scissors. They're amazingly well made and finished. Very good stainless steel.
Serious competition to the traditional and world bestselling brazilian nippers.

Would I install a chinese engine that I've never even saw on my boat?
Nope.
I wouldn't have a chinese car. Not yet.
Old 13-04-2013, 07:56   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Electronics made in China whose standards are highly monitored by western corporations is one thing but Chinese engines where this is not the situation is another thing.

Given my experience with Chinese metalurgy, I doubt the price difference is worth the hassle of having an engine whose reliability is questionable and which is going to have a shorter lifetime. This is especially true if your safety is dependent on the engine working.

One day Chinese metallurgy might improve but they do not seem to be there yet.

All the downsides are not worth the savings.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 13-04-2013, 08:17   #19

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Yeah, Jedi,
One of the most powerfull corps in the world is closely watching that iphone, which is a premium gadget.

If the motor was FREE, NEW, and sitting in my cockpit, and the perfect application for my boat I wouldn't consider wasting my time installing it.

Never, Never, Never.
Old 13-04-2013, 08:36   #20

Funny

People are bashing against chinese things and they dont even know that their 'American' car is made of over 50% components made in china and/or Korea.... just start looking where the components are comming from on your car.....

under proper supervision they can achieve desirable results....just a matter of finding the right production plant/design....

just my 2 cents...
Old 13-04-2013, 08:51   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:

I'm not sure anyone has to have first hand experience with these engines as the entire world has first hand experience with Chineese products in general.
While there are certainly qualitative issues with many Chinese products this is not universally true. Here in Guatemala there are a lot of Chinese products. Many are junk, but some are quite good. Specific product experience is relevant.

Case in point, I have a friend who works for HP. They manufacture ship loads (literally) of PCs there.

I expect that market pressures will force them to improve their QC over time...just as it did the Japanese electronics and the American auto industries.
Old 13-04-2013, 09:10   #22

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:

If the motor was FREE, NEW, and sitting in my cockpit, and the perfect application for my boat I wouldn't consider wasting my time installing it.

Never, Never, Never.

WOW!!!! REALLY?????

I am old enough to remember common sayings such as "NO WAY WOULD I PURCHASE THAT JAPANESE JUNK" and I can also remember the litany Yanmar was up against when they were criticized for introducing cheap, light weight Japanese diesel junk!

It is about time that American engine manufacturers faced some real life competition for diesel engines. IMHO, the only reason American engines are so high priced compared to a gasoline engine is because they face limited competition. OK, so a diesel is heavier because of internal stresses but that just requires more iron. And as to machining, today's technology with computerized automatic machining should stifle that argument.
Old 13-04-2013, 09:15   #23

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

[QUOTE=foggysail;1209681]
WOW!!!! REALLY?????

When I said "Never" it pertainted only to my above scenerio.

I'm aware that China could make it happen someday.
Old 13-04-2013, 09:27   #24

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post

WOW!!!! REALLY?????

I am old enough to remember common sayings such as "NO WAY WOULD I PURCHASE THAT JAPANESE JUNK" and I can also remember the litany Yanmar was up against when they were criticized for introducing cheap, light weight Japanese diesel junk!

It is about time that American engine manufacturers faced some real life competition for diesel engines. IMHO, the only reason American engines are so high priced compared to a gasoline engine is because they face limited competition. OK, so a diesel is heavier because of internal stresses but that just requires more iron. And as to machining, today's technology with computerized automatic machining should stifle that argument.
X100. Don't laugh, giving the Chinese a few more years, they will kick our ass. In fact, they already did. Soon our children & grand Children will all work for them if our children or grand children are good enough. They will love our cockiness and then beat us in our own game.

I crewed with a old Danish Captain recently. He told me just before the WWI, Germany made the worst product, everyone insists on Empire Made. Trust me, China will advance even fasted Japan.
Old 13-04-2013, 09:40   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From Shanghai Diesel Engine,Diesel Generator,China Diesel Engine Manufacturer :

Quote:
In 1994, SDEC was the first company that received ISO9001 certification in China. SDEC has passed QS9000 and TS16949 certification conducted by TUV Rheinland. In 2002 and 2005, SDEC won the golden award on quality and 6CT natural gas engine, launched by SDEC, was evaluated as the best engine by the World Passenger Car Association. In 2006, SDEC was given the award of the &quot;Best engine manufacturer&quot; by the World Passenger Car Association. <br /><br />
SDEC is the technical leader of the Internal-combustion Engine Industry in China. We also represent an extensive product line-up to compliment our diesel engine and others. Our highest priority is on customizing our products. We are committed to provide what our customer wants and we provide quality and consistency at the best value. <br /><br />
Our objectives and goals have been to attain the highest technical performance at the most competitive prices. Our products didn't have any failure in practical application due to high quality. Our commitment to excellence also extends to our leading after-sales service and support programs. This spirit of cooperation is evident in every facet of our operations. It is the quality policy of Shanghai Diesel Engine Co., Ltd to provide the highest quality products, maintain strict conformance with the requirements and specifications of our customers and to provide continuous ongoing improvement in quality, delivery and customer satisfaction.
Old 13-04-2013, 09:54   #26

The area where Chinese made stuff really fails, is in quality control of metallurgy. Remember the Rocna anchors? Groco's made-in-china through-hulls that all had to be recalled because the bronze wasn't bronze?

I'd steer clear of anything Chinese-made where metallurgy is a critical factor.
Old 13-04-2013, 10:08   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

When considering Chinese made engines look at some video footage of rescue workers digging men out of mine shafts or digging people out of landslides,they always use Komatso , Cat,or some other type of heavy equitment..go to Alibabas website and type in forklifts and read the description of the product,most if not all have chinese made frames with Cat or Kubota power plants..If they(the chinese) wont use indigionus power plants I wouldnt either..
Old 13-04-2013, 10:09   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The area where Chinese made stuff really fails, is in quality control of metallurgy. Remember the Rocna anchors? Groco's made-in-china through-hulls that all had to be recalled because the bronze wasn't bronze?

I'd steer clear of anything Chinese-made where metallurgy is a critical factor.
ISO9000 certification is just that: quality control. So, you could say that it would be wise to limit Chinese options to those that are ISO certified, just like Europeans are better off using only ISO certified US manufacturers et visa versa.

The Rocna anchors had a lower strength steel because Rocna told them to use that steel instead of the originally specified stronger steel. How people can insist on repeating that false info is beyond comprehension.
Old 13-04-2013, 10:11   #29

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Did you know that about 70% of all foreign students in the US are Chinese, according to a study published by the University of Illinois - Champaign/Urbana. If their universities were that good, how do you explain the massive student flights to US engineering and medicine universities? I attended electrical engineering school in Missouri. Many of my classmates were from China. They unanimously will tell you, that when they go back they have to revert to the "Chinese Manufacturing Practice", irrespective to what they've learned in the US. In China, if you stand-out you will be "eliminated"; free-thinking is never encouraged or allowed, hence the shortfalls in their QC and in manufacturing. Mauritz
Old 13-04-2013, 10:14   #30

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

As a side note, after checking the webpage , the chinese still using cast iron crankshaft for hig load engine aplications instead of superior forged steel, i wonder if the rods are iron to???

Liners and pistons + rings looks nice in the pics , the engines looks like 20 years ago technology, i mean lots of pipes around engines , bulky design,
dont know how many tough working hours we can expect from one of this engines ,,, Overhaul at 700 hours Lol!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel