Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2013, 17:28   #61
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
"Empires need to fall", As in a new way of accounting ? sounds futuristic to me !
you don't believe in economic empires?
Old 13-04-2013, 17:37   #62

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive been called a few times down the bayou to check out some Genny set ups at both commerical outfits and homes. All these units were china made. To start with the noise of all these units were just plain LOUD! this we could and did take care of. But the leaks of both oil and water were a little harder because of lousy gaskets that were just not right ! But even that I was able to cure with a little hand work. but after about 10 hours of running time, major problems started to show up ! The first one was a commerical unit of about 25 KW with a tossed rod through a hole in the thin block. On takeing it apart to see the cause of the problem I found a handful of iron and steel shaveings thruout the bottom end ! and some really thin cross section piston rods! and the pistons looked like something made in a high school machine shop !! The rings were all cast iron and even the oil control rings were so widely gapped I don't see how they ever worked at all !! Im just saying, when it comes to Cheap Chinee diesel engines, no matter the use of them marine or fixed mount if ya buy cheap ya get real cheap !! Just my 2 cents and Ive been fixing diesels for over 40 years !
Old 13-04-2013, 17:53   #63

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Bob and Connie, well said! There are also the issues with work ethics and pride in one's workmanship; they are lacking or don't exist in the Chinese mind set. These are more frightening than poor manufacturing standards. Mauritz
Old 13-04-2013, 17:56   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

A guy who used to come on this forum bought a cheap air cooled generator and mounted it on his deck somehow. It didn't last long either. Same as the one you mention Bob, thrown rod and hole in the block. But they do make some stellar stuff. But why would someone shop at Wally's world anyway?
Old 13-04-2013, 21:28   #65
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Bob and Connie, well said! There are also the issues with work ethics and pride in one's workmanship; they are lacking or don't exist in the Chinese mind set. These are more frightening than poor manufacturing standards. Mauritz
Wrong twice. Firstly because your post is contrary to forum rules in that it is offensively racist and secondly, because China can manufacture extremely high quality products if the market demands it.
I suggest you take your posts to www.kkk.com
Old 13-04-2013, 22:36   #66

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42

I the American diesel motors are superior to Chinese ones, how come the was not one, I said not even one diesel motor made for the average car. How come in Europe every single SUV comes with a extremely fuel efficient motor when at the same time in the USA or Canada the only SUV with a diesel motor it's or it was a Ford Excursion, powered by 7.2 liter diesel, strong enough to pull a horse trailer with 20 horses in it
Old 13-04-2013, 23:29   #67

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

What do SUV engines have to do with this subject ?? and no one mentioned american engines !! But there are a few out there ! Detroit for one LOL I understand what your trying to say but we were talking about the poor quailty of some of the cheap Chinee gen sets and Marine engines ! Maybe ya need to read the thread before ya answer ! Maybe?? LOL
Old 14-04-2013, 00:16   #68

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

ISO9000 certification is just that: quality control. So, you could say that it would be wise to limit Chinese options to those that are ISO certified, just like Europeans are better off using only ISO certified US manufacturers et visa versa.

The Rocna anchors had a lower strength steel because Rocna told them to use that steel instead of the originally specified stronger steel. How people can insist on repeating that false info is beyond comprehension.
I worked for Honeywell in an iso 9000 plant in Canada. What a joke. The
standard has little to do with output, or quality.

China is big. Really big. Generalizing that doesn't work well. Quality is available, if you're willing to find it. The manufacturing qc I've seen in Canada is pretty laughable too.

Honda engine blocks for certain markets are made there and just fine. Qc and price are not independent.

Also was just digging for a 150hp for a re power. Found that some Cummins diesels come from China too...
Old 14-04-2013, 04:53   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
What do SUV engines have to do with this subject ?? and no one mentioned american engines !! But there are a few out there ! Detroit for one LOL I understand what your trying to say but we were talking about the poor quailty of some of the cheap Chinee gen sets and Marine engines ! Maybe ya need to read the thread before ya answer ! Maybe?? LOL
No Bob, it is not about cheap, low quality, Chinese engines. It is about the good Chinese engines too!

The problem is that too many want cheap. Cheap, cheap, cheap, I go nuts about people wanting cheap and the manufacturers obliging by creating cheap Bleep! We should quit that and buy quality. If we don't have enough $$$ then we should buy less, not cheaper.

There are good products from China, but they are not cheap like the cr@p they also sell because the buyers prefer that.

Old 14-04-2013, 05:23   #70

Boat: hunter 376

I just purchased one of those Lehr propane outboards for the tender, 2.5 hp, made in China. I was a bit surprised by the lack of quality of some parts, (like the cowling gasket) but overall it has a good solid feel to it, and runs well. As discussed, time will tell regarding reliability and longevity.
Old 14-04-2013, 05:44   #71

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Chinese diesel gensets friends have bought here in Guatemala have proven to be noisy junk too.

However, as shown by the prevelance of "made in China" tags on many major good quality brands of other types of goods the Chinese are capable of producing good stuff too. Hopefully market pressures will force them to follow suit on their engines.

I think good quality better priced product would put some much needed competative pressure on other brands like Volvo....they want $280US for a small front crankshaft pulley for a 20HP engine...thats just insane!

Competition is good -- it forces all players to raise the bar. And now we have global competition and exchange of goods like never before in human history...interesting and good I think.
Old 14-04-2013, 06:06   #72

They are not diesel but the PARSUN outboards are Chinese from the drain plug to the pull cord. Up until the year 2000 we knew them as YAMAHA then Yamaha built a whole new model, sold the rights for this old model, molds, castings and license to the Chinese and they now build them and are calling them PARSUN. Are they any good, I don't know, but they are being used by a number of bare boat charter companies in the Whitsundays. For an engine that gets flogged and misused by charterers they just keep going, the only modification that one company that I have contact with, does is swap out the throttle control cable as soon as they get them to a Yamaha original equipment spares cable the Parson ones would only last a couple of months before the cable rusts out.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 14-04-2013, 06:17   #73
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post

I worked for Honeywell in an iso 9000 plant in Canada. What a joke. The
standard has little to do with output, or quality.

China is big. Really big. Generalizing that doesn't work well. Quality is available, if you're willing to find it. The manufacturing qc I've seen in Canada is pretty laughable too.

Honda engine blocks for certain markets are made there and just fine. Qc and price are not independent.

Also was just digging for a 150hp for a re power. Found that some Cummins diesels come from China too...
There's a common mis conception about ISO 9000. I took a manufacturing plant through that certification. It doesn't mandate any particular quality. Its just means you have to document and record what " quality" you decide. You can have an ISO 9000 certified manufacturing producing absolute crap, once you decide that's what you have decided to produce.

Dave
Old 14-04-2013, 06:19   #74

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
But why would someone shop at Wally's world anyway?
Answers I've heard included that one could buy underwear and motor oil with just one stop. Yawn.

Good news tho, just read Wally has earmarked $50B USD (billion not bucks) to buy Murican goods over the next 10 years. Not all that patriotic, has to do with shipping "high cube" (bulky) items like furniture.

This Chinese diesel question bugs me. You know they have some quality engines cuz they've got tractors, pickup trucks, pumps, fishing boats, gen sets, aircraft carriers, trains ... why wouldn't they have reliable small diesels?

We'd all better learn a little Chinese.

早安
Old 14-04-2013, 06:42   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

There's a common mis conception about ISO 9000. I took a manufacturing plant through that certification. It doesn't mandate any particular quality. Its just means you have to document and record what " quality" you decide. You can have an ISO 9000 certified manufacturing producing absolute crap, once you decide that's what you have decided to produce.

Dave
Exactly, it is about quality control. The market, i.e. the buyers, set the quality level.

Closed Thread

Tags
diesel