Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2019, 09:17   #46

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Re: Chinese engines - Houfeng HF Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visarend View Post
Thank you, this is precisely my view. I tried only to start a technical discussion.

I am not biased towards UE, where I live, nor towards USA, or China or Japan. Being very open minded, during my life I owned and tested cars built by Italian, German, American, Japanese, French and Russian companies. Worst experience in metallurgical quality was the Russian Uaz, in build quality the Italian Fiat Croma and the French Simca, best experience with Honda Prelude and Legend and Toyota land Cruiser and Rav4, followed by Audi 90 and Volkswagen Golf and Scirocco, American Chrysler (Voyager) score is the in the middle. All IMHO.

So, I am still trying to understand the level of development of Chinese diesel engines, that I believe from many signals could be way more advanced than Russian manifacture in the seventies, but at the same time I fear the possible flaws in a mass production still to be refined.

Anyway, I thank you all for your contributions.
Apologies for getting off tangent, directly to your question, the friend that had bearing parts made in china who had to test them, he paid for quality and was a very easy to deal with guy, however it seemed china would ALWAYS try to sneak in cheaper metals, even after getting caught on more than a few occasions, my fear is this appears to be how the place operates for the most part and there are lots of places in a engine you can hide iffy quality which won’t be likely seen until a tear down/break down.
Old 19-11-2019, 05:17   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Re my Ford rebuild, I'll follow the links offered by Atoll (thanks again), but have to say that the specialized companies I found in Italy and France that are able and willing to rebuild the engine pointed to the fact that there are risks in this operation, too, and that in very few years it could prove impossible to find spares.
=========================
As a matter of fact you will find essential spare parts even for engines built in the 40ties. No problem with piston rings, bearings and valves. Everything else can be adopted or easily made.
Old 19-11-2019, 05:23   #48

Ask Rocna about China made anchors
Old 19-11-2019, 05:49   #49

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Pm me. I have the 380 30hp model the I fitted recently.
I was going to ask you to share your experience with the engine but I changed my mind... you better not dare share anything out of the ordinary or you could have you head cut off.... better to keep it private.
Old 22-11-2019, 08:33   #50

I've done work in Chinese factories that were run by US companies.

Chinese oppression and politics aside;

The quality you get is entirely dependent on the organization making the engine.

If they want to make very high quality engines, they won't have a problem doing that in China. The plants I was working in doing installations had some very nice German welding machines, Japanese Robots, and European controls. They can buy what they want from anywhere and other countries are happy to sell them the machines needed to make whatever.
The plants ran 24x7 and the workers all had supplied uniforms and at least one meal included per day. They seemed to be happy to have a job and were fairly easy to work with even with the language barrier. The workers were not overworked and the working conditions were good. 5-6 days a week, 8 hours a day seemed pretty common. I think they work longer hours in Mexico than they do in China.

The people I dealt with are typically very good workers who take their jobs seriously.
Old 22-11-2019, 12:40   #51

Boat: Looking

The one thing I know is the Cummins engines are built in China. If you buy one from a source that isn't dealing directly with Cummins, the engine may not have Cummins anywhere on it and may lack SSN or data plate. If I needed a small diesel, I would go Kubota tractor engine and get the marinizing parts from ASAP.
Old 22-11-2019, 13:14   #52

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

Before you go Chinese.
Have a look at the MWM 229 Series - 229-3-N sourced in South America. This is a bomb proof impressive 50 hp, three cylinder diesel engine of a German design. Each cylinder has it's own individual cylinder head.
When ever you go Chinese, you are taking a big chance. Just because the product worked out for someone else, there is no guarantee it will work out for you. Production consistency in China is a big issue; especially for 3rd party supplier auxiliary parts such as pumps and fittings and forged internals such as crankshafts and cam shafts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	203578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	203579  

Old 22-11-2019, 14:11   #53

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch

We’ve worked with Hupei Diesels. We found a lack of spare parts and many engine techs unwilling to work on the engine due to lack of tech manual that met their standards.
I would avoid Chinese engines
Old 22-11-2019, 16:46   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fella View Post
Tyrant, and what do you call that dick the US have got running the place, and as making stuff, don't kid yourself, they are just assembly lines putting together parts made in china.

You’re actually comparing Trump and the US to china and xi? Talk about a privileged first world statement.

So china producing low quality stuff and having lacking to say the least QC, is all what? A conspiracy against the commies?
Old 22-11-2019, 17:10   #55

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
You’re actually comparing Trump and the US to china and xi? Talk about a privileged first world statement.

So china producing low quality stuff and having lacking to say the least QC, is all what? A conspiracy against the commies?

There is always a time to simply give up, and now is probably a good time, however one more time, China will produce whatever you want, to whatever price point you want, therefore the quality is entirely in the hands of the person/company ordering the product. That is to say, if you want a cheap product a manufacturer can be found to supply just that, conversely if quality is required it can be found there as well. Its entirely up to the purchaser.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 22-11-2019, 17:19   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
There is always a time to simply give up, and now is probably a good time, however one more time, China will produce whatever you want, to whatever price point you want, therefore the quality is entirely in the hands of the person/company ordering the product. That is to say, if you want a cheap product a manufacturer can be found to supply just that, conversely if quality is required it can be found there as well. Its entirely up to the purchaser.
Yeah, but they don't.

It's a different culture, the second they think they can get away with something they will, I've seen this first hand, if they make such great stuff and not just cheap widgets and rubber dog poo, how come their supreme leader doesn't drive a chinese made car? china makes more than a few cars

Lots of defense for china here for some reason, I wouldn't think cruisers who usually value quality, freedom and the environment would cheerleader china
Old 22-11-2019, 19:00   #57

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:

Yes I am comparing trump and his idiot tweets and America first rubbish to china, I don't hear of the Chinese going around schools and supermarkets shooting people by the dozen, and far as Chinese quality , you have the choice of qualities dependant on what you want and what you want ta spend.
Old 22-11-2019, 19:16   #58

Quote:
Lots of defense for china here for some reason, I wouldn't think cruisers who usually value quality, freedom and the environment would cheerleader china

Thread death is imminent.

As I mentioned far earlier, just about EVERYTHING you buy has Chinese content; it's simply impossible today to not be supporting China. You can proudly call something "MADE IN USA", but it can still legally have up to about 20% foreign content, and by foreign I mean Chinese. US companies have chosen to outsource, with the blessings of the US government. So ... seems supporting China is A-OK...

Secondly, it's important to differentiate between a country and its people. The majority of Chinese simply want a better life for their families, and all these manufacturing jobs are giving them just that. China has embraced capitalism as a way to expand their economy. Seems to be working; we should be somewhat happy about that. Better to trade than to fight...

I like the products from several US companies. Doesn't mean I necessarily support or agree with you-know-who. Same thing with China.
Old 22-11-2019, 19:24   #59

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Thread death is imminent.

As I mentioned far earlier, just about EVERYTHING you buy has Chinese content; it's simply impossible today to not be supporting China. You can proudly call something "MADE IN USA", but it can still legally have up to about 20% foreign content, and by foreign I mean Chinese. US companies have chosen to outsource, with the blessings of the US government. So ... seems supporting China is A-OK...

Secondly, it's important to differentiate between a country and its people. The majority of Chinese simply want a better life for their families, and all these manufacturing jobs are giving them just that. China has embraced capitalism as a way to expand their economy. Seems to be working; we should be somewhat happy about that. Better to trade than to fight...

I like the products from several US companies. Doesn't mean I necessarily support or agree with you-know-who. Same thing with China.
You have said it perfectly , thank you .
Old 22-11-2019, 19:31   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fella View Post
Yes I am comparing trump and his idiot tweets and America first rubbish to china, I don't hear of the Chinese going around schools and supermarkets shooting people by the dozen, and far as Chinese quality , you have the choice of qualities dependant on what you want and what you want ta spend.
That's funny.

The chance of getting killed in a mass shooting is soooo very small, you're just as likely to be wrongly killed by a cop, it's such a small number aside from some silly comment like yours I spend about 0% of my day thinking about it.
Shootings also have nothing to do with Trump, not that I'm a huge fan of his, though he has done well for the economy and jobs and a few other things.

china, well there was that one time they killed thousands of students and squished some down with tanks, plus all the other horrific things they've done since.

And those workers who have to be given a meal, probably 1 degree of separation from slave labor, I mean the slaves were fed too, also as far as suicide issues, china factory workers, slaves, and Jews in the nazi regime, if workers are offing themselves to this extent I have a hard time thinking they give any care to my con rods keeping me and my family from the breakers.

Comparing a third world despot place like china to a free world country is bat **** crazy.

I personally think working towards eliminating chinese made products from your life is like eliminating trans fats and corn starch/sugar from your life, might be hard but you'll be better for doing it

The whole anti America just comes off as sheltered bourgeoisie
Closed Thread

Tags
engine