Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2020, 12:24   #16

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978
Re: Choosing Racor Diesel Filter for Westerbeke W30

Noelex-thanks for the information, regarding 500 vs larger 900 series Racor. My engine compartment is cramped to say the least so will probably stay with 500 and just single not dual, secondary to lack of space and cost. I see the 500MA have metal about the plastic bowl so may go with it vs FG. CaptMike - Like the idea of a vacuum gauge & i usually hang the keys on the raw water seacock to ensure i never start the engine w/o opening that valve, so could easily check vacuum.
Thanks again all for your assistance, its off to spend some $$….
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 17:18   #17

Hi All,
Check your engine manual, it will tell you what micron filter that your engine requires. Also check with the filter manufacturer, most filters to work properly have a set gph in fuel used, this creates a swirl action in the filters to properly separate solids to drop to the bottom of the filter. I've inspected 1000's of small sailboats, the standard filter used is 500 Racors, way over sized for the application. My guess, the reason they work so good, is the fuel consumption is so slow, maybe 1/2 gph instead of 20 or 30, that any solids fall out of suspension, long before they get to the filter chamber. My boat personally, install a vacuum gage, tells you long before a fuel filter clog, and I would use a minimum of 10 micron unless your engine specs call for a 2 micron. Using 30 is like using a screen door.
Hope this helps, great sailing all. Capt.Vince Rakstis, RetMS St.Petersburg, Fl.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 17:50   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes certainly fix what you have, cause costs a fortune to buy new, price one and then I think cleaning up your will look a lot more attractive. I popped for the God awful expensive dual filter, and have never so far had to use it, so maybe a whole lot of wasted money.
I would stay with a 500, even if someone gave me a 900, the reason is that everybody runs a 500, so therefore filters are very widely available, moreso than any other filter, although I’m sure the 900 will hold more dirt before clogging.
Of course if you do as I did and buy a dozen of spares it’s unlikely you will ever need to buy spares out in the wild.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, racor, westerbeke