Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2013, 19:22   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Cleaning an integral keel diesel tank

You could even make your day tank out of 5 gallon diesel jugs. Switch your filters so that when one plugs you can still pump fuel. Make your pickup line as large as the inlet to the Racor 1000 with no sharp bends. Where I once experienced a plug was at a 90 deg bend at the top of the tank.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 19:54   #17

If you decide to cut into the tank, have it done by somebody that knows what they are doing. Tanks full of fuel vapors can go boom when you cut them. Empty tanks are more dangerous than full ones.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 02:12   #18

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

How did you go with your 'problem'?

I've got a similar problem on my 36 foot ketch. It's only in rough seas when the tank is shaken that the filters block. My diesel turns a rustic brown colour.

I'm slipping in a couple of weeks and then I'm going to empty my tank with a portable pump, then to 'Karcher' my tank, degrease, karcher some more. I'm then contemplating sealing the inside with a tank sealer. That's going to be difficult to do though because it's hard to get to the entire tank. Mine has two access hatches but they are only about 6 inches wide by a about three feet.

I don't think I have 'the bug', and since I reinstated the tank from its dormant state I've always added a bio additive. It was dormant for about six years as the previous owner connected a small 15 litre tank to it and completely sealed off the keel tank.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 02:56   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
How did you go with your 'problem'?

I've got a similar problem on my 36 foot ketch. It's only in rough seas when the tank is shaken that the filters block. My diesel turns a rustic brown colour.

I'm slipping in a couple of weeks and then I'm going to empty my tank with a portable pump, then to 'Karcher' my tank, degrease, karcher some more. I'm then contemplating sealing the inside with a tank sealer. That's going to be difficult to do though because it's hard to get to the entire tank. Mine has two access hatches but they are only about 6 inches wide by a about three feet.

I don't think I have 'the bug', and since I reinstated the tank from its dormant state I've always added a bio additive. It was dormant for about six years as the previous owner connected a small 15 litre tank to it and completely sealed off the keel tank.
Boy, Ted,

It seems like you have more than your fair share of problems there. The guy sealed off the keel tank because he couldn't handle the contamination problem. The 15 l. day tank was the temporary fix.

If you're wanting to turn it into a proper cruising boat or sail in Banks Straits, or circumnavigate Tassie,, you're going to need to be able to successfully address the keel tank issue. It's a situation you can address after you've had time to have a think about it. The tank needs a seriously good clean. Not easy to do. Make take time, and be on next year's haulout plan when you address the rudder balance issue as well.

The timing of all this stuff is up to you. It's not going to sink you, only defer
your pleasure.

Good luck with it, Ted.
Ann
Old 26-04-2014, 03:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Boy, Ted,

It seems like you have more than your fair share of problems there. The guy sealed off the keel tank because he couldn't handle the contamination problem. The 15 l. day tank was the temporary fix.

If you're wanting to turn it into a proper cruising boat or sail in Banks Straits, or circumnavigate Tassie,, you're going to need to be able to successfully address the keel tank issue. It's a situation you can address after you've had time to have a think about it. The tank needs a seriously good clean. Not easy to do. Make take time, and be on next year's haulout plan when you address the rudder balance issue as well.

The timing of all this stuff is up to you. It's not going to sink you, only defer
your pleasure.

Good luck with it, Ted.
Ann
Thanks ann, I'm going to address both over the next four months whilst it's slipped. The rudder I'm going to have a trim tab made and connect it directly to my auto pilot and at least give that a go. The tank I'll do at the same time. I'm anticipating the tank is going to be fidly but I'm not expecting it to cost.
Old 26-04-2014, 09:36   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float
Don't cut anything .... Shock dose with www.fuelright.com
Any crap will dump into your Racor and you can simply clean Racor and change filters.
I did that for an aluminum tank in my boat and it dumped into my Racor. I cleaned bowl and replaced filter and all is good now.
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 03:29   #22

Guys, I'm designing a new fuel filtering system and a minor polishing system. I've ordered a racor 500 from the US to set it up with. My question is, what micron filters should I use? I'll have one filter for the fuel polisher and one for the engine, both will be prior to a 12v diesel after market pump. I'm suspecting 10 and 30 microns? Or is 30 ok for both?

Tags
cleaning, diesel, keel