Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 11:21   #31

Boat: Pearson 323
Re: Cleaning Diesel Tank

One other thing...ultrasound in a fluid could cause static electricity buildup (due to fluid friction)...I probably wouldn't do it in air, use a nirogen atmosphere. Ha, on second thought, maybe you better skip the ultrasound cleaning idea!
StringBimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 18:30   #32
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Could you post a link to untrasound cleaning of tanks....for our edification?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 19:39   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Leave what you cannot reasonably reach in the tank. Then get yourself some dual Racor's and periodically treat your tank with a biocide and not worry about what is sitting in the bottom of your tank.

Tanks don't need to be spotless, this is one reason you have filters.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 19:32   #34

Actually Chief, it was just an idea conjured up from my general knowledge, so I don't have first hand experience in a commercial application. But a quick google search produced this from wikipedia:

Ultrasonic cleaning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, it turns out this methodology is used for many things, such as sterilization and cleaning of dental instruments, castings from foundaries, etc. Here is another link from an engineering forum, discussing cleaning of metal castings:

Manufacturing Plant engineering - About cleaning the casting parts with ultra-sound wave?

It seems you can get a metal probe that can be inserted into a tank, to provide the ultrasonic vibration. And, it appears there are water-based surfactants that could be used in lieu of solvent.

I guess when I am faced with cleaning a closed tank (haven't gotten to my old aluminum fuel tank yet in my refit), I will pursue it further along to see if it is practical. In principle, it should work however.

Any other thoughts on whether this might work?
Old 05-05-2011, 19:42   #35

Ha, I just noticed the wiki comment about carbon tet. Better not use that, nor smoke in the vicinity. Phosgene is bad juju.
Old 08-05-2011, 17:33   #36

Not sure why CTC is banned these days, we used it a lot in the military, it was used in fire extinguishers as well as dry cleaning. I know it has narcotic effects.....it sure does smell nice....
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 20:37   #37

Seeing as you have any day tank, why don’t you clean what you can then fix the tank so that you can drawer your fuel off of the lowest possible place. That way you will not collect sludge in the bottom of the tank. If you use a basic fuel polish and system on that tank then you should not have any more problems. Although most people seem to prefer raycore filters I personally prefer what’s referred to as a toilet paper filter. They do an excellent job and a very cheap to replace. There are several suppliers of these some same better adapted to boat application than others. My two cents mike.
Florida Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 23:11   #38

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Not sure why CTC is banned these days, we used it a lot in the military, it was used in fire extinguishers as well as dry cleaning. I know it has narcotic effects.....it sure does smell nice....
I think you will find it's highly carcinogenic
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 11:09   #39

Just about finished the cleaning of the fuel tank on board. Just used some Simple Green and a Scunci steamer followed by a quick wipe own with some paper shop towels. Worked pretty well. You can see the results here:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: IN THE TANK: Part 2, Steaming Ahead!

Tags
cleaning, diesel