Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2012, 18:03   #31

Boat: '71 Morgan 41-OI
Re: FG 500 Cleaning--"Out, Out Damned Gunk!"

Nice Job!
Watermelon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 18:19   #32

Re: Cleaning Racor 500 FG Filter - Problem !

I know everyone likes them, but It's a real marginal design in my eyes. Flushing fresh fuel through with the drain fitting off often will never remove the gunk on the bowl. It takes a disassembly to do that and they seem to have made that as difficult as they could.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 18:23   #33

Boat: '71 Morgan 41-OI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I know everyone likes them, but It's a real marginal design in my eyes. Flushing fresh fuel through with the drain fitting off often will never remove the gunk on the bowl. It takes a disassembly to do that and they seem to have made that as difficult as they could.

Maybe there's an opportunity here. Let's design a user friendly model that uses Mr Coffee, coffee filters. We can make it easy to clean and very inexpensive to operate.
Watermelon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 07:11   #34

Boat: Beneteau First 42

See Post No#14, Page 1 of this thread for easy cleaning instructions. It only takes about 10 minutes.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 08:21   #35

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
See Post No#14, Page 1 of this thread for easy cleaning instructions. It only takes about 10 minutes.
Wish I had thought of that. Great tip.

Decided to buy a kit and rebuild mine, thinking it had to be taken apart anyway. It was a good way to learn more about how it works. But next time I'll do as you have posted.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 09:57   #36

Yeah... good post. Must need like a small artist's brush?
Maybe there's an opportunity here. Let's design a user friendly model that uses Mr Coffee, coffee filters. We can make it easy to clean and very inexpensive to operate.
I've always expected Racor would improve it.. but it just hasnt come to pass. When I was just out of High School I worked in a Service Station. We serviced the local Taxis and they used a SS canister that you put toilet paper in for a filter! Damn things worked perfectly... when a taxi came in for an oil change, the old oil looked clear and clean. Some others used these filters too... had to use only one kind of TP though... forget what it was...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 11:56   #37
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

I just found it easier to pull it out and totally disassemble the entire thing and take it to the sink and wash it out. Now it looks like brand new and since I had just recently bought the boat, as did the op, I wanted to have the whole regular maintenance schedule clock set to zero so I know where everything is at.
I was advised by the seller to change out the fuel in the tanks as it had been sitting for quite some time before I bought her, so I did that and now I can see clearly if there is the slightest bit more grunge coming out of the tank(s).

Tags
racor