Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2023, 08:47   #16

Boat: Catalina Mk1 36
Re: Clear reinforced hose for raw water?

I had a survey done last February for the insurance company review. Specifically, the surveyor pointed out to me the clear nylon reenforced hose in the head, or anywhere below the water line is not acceptable and should be replaced with the proper hose. Fortunately, I had some on board, showed him, and he made note that "repairs were in progress."
Old 20-10-2023, 10:08   #17

I wouldn't trust clear, reinforced PVC as an intake hose. In fact, Trident specifically warns against this:

https://defender.com/en_us/trident-1...ced-pvc-tubing

"NOT recommended for below the waterline thru hull connections."

These are meant for potable water on both pressurized and non-pressurized systems. I would think it is too flexible for a suction line.

I use exhaust hose for all below waterline intakes.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 19:41   #18

Boat: Privilege 42

Our 1998 Privilege catamaran has clear, wire reinforced hose between the thruhull and the strainer in the raw water circuit, and between the strainer and the raw water pump. Same hose is also used between heat exchanger and anti-siphon valve, and back to the exhaust elbow. Both engines have the same setup with the same hoses.

We have owned the boat since 2004 and I believe these hoses are original equipment.

They have held up fine for 25 years.They are still clear enough to see water flowing.

I am currently replacing all of these hoses due to their age. I'm using black wet exhaust hose rated for below-the-waterline use going to and from the strainer. No issues with the original hose, but those hoses are on the far side of the engine, and if I'm close enough to see the hose, I can see the clear lid of the strainer anyway. I'm using the clear, wire reinforced hose from Davis sold on Amazon to and from the anti-siphon valve. This hose appears to be very similar to the original hose. These hoses are readily visible and I can easily see if water is flowing while I am in the engine room.

Greg
S/V Day Dreamer
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, water