Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2018, 18:40   #106

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Common rail marine diesel engine v standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
It’s easier said than done. Even with a non CR engine the battery, solenoid and starter motor are all electric of course and can be killed by lightning and other diseases. Big engines can’t be turned by hand even with decompression. There are wind up spring starters I have read about. It may be good to have one as a spare starter. That way you can be totally electric free and have redundancy in starting.
There is electric and there is electronic. Electric is made from a bunch of electromagnets. Electronics are made up of semiconductors. Electrics are very robust compared to electronics. I once destroyed a personal computer with the static discharge from my hand touching a connector. Electrics would not have have been damaged.

Common rail uses a microprocessor computer and sensors to determine when to inject fuel. A microprocessor has millions of transistors on a chip. If only one is damaged the computer is dead.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 03:11   #107

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
There is electric and there is electronic. Electric is made from a bunch of electromagnets. Electronics are made up of semiconductors. Electrics are very robust compared to electronics. I once destroyed a personal computer with the static discharge from my hand touching a connector. Electrics would not have have been damaged.

Common rail uses a microprocessor computer and sensors to determine when to inject fuel. A microprocessor has millions of transistors on a chip. If only one is damaged the computer is dead.
Sure, electronics are delicate in that sense and I was writing with the assumption that you have a non CR engine, i.e. no electronics at all, just an electric starter. There is in that situation a chance that lightning and other things can wipe out your electric system and lightning has done just that to boaters in the past. A non-electric way of starting your diesel is lightning proof and pretty bullet proof in general was my point.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 04:50   #108

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

We replaced an unreliable Volvo 2003T with a Beta (marinised Kubota) 4 years ago
It is not as smooth as a modern automobile diesel but beats the Volvo
Starts first bang, even in the Arctic and so far trouble free. Bêtas score much better than Volvo’s and better than Yanmars in the SSCA reliability survey
I would avoid electronic diesels in a boat until proof of reliability is available. Recreational diesels are such a tiny market that developers will not put much effort into them.
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 05:24   #109

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
It’s easier said than done. Even with a non CR engine the battery, solenoid and starter motor are all electric of course and can be killed by lightning and other diseases. Big engines can’t be turned by hand even with decompression. There are wind up spring starters I have read about. It may be good to have one as a spare starter. That way you can be totally electric free and have redundancy in starting.

It’s why I start my beta up and let it idle during severe t storms
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, marine