Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2018, 15:21   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
control cable replacement

I replaced the throttle and gear shift cables on my 1988 Catalina 30 because the throttle seemed to have rusted shut. It took a lot longer than I expected (surprise!) and involved nearly impossible tasks like threading a nut onto a post deep inside a narrow space in the steering column. The cables now work, better than before, but the idle speed is about 1500 (Universal 25); is there an adjustment I don't know about or should I just unwire the idle stop nuts and adjust there?
Anchorage Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 22:19   #2

Re: control cable replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorage Frank View Post
I replaced the throttle and gear shift cables on my 1988 Catalina 30 because the throttle seemed to have rusted shut. It took a lot longer than I expected (surprise!) and involved nearly impossible tasks like threading a nut onto a post deep inside a narrow space in the steering column. The cables now work, better than before, but the idle speed is about 1500 (Universal 25); is there an adjustment I don't know about or should I just unwire the idle stop nuts and adjust there?
Hi Frank

If the idle speed was ok before you replced the cable then it will be the cable rigging.

You will have to adjust the new cable to suit. Adjusting the cable sheath will normally change the range whilst adjusting the inner cable will adjust the position if that makes sense.

If you go from idle to full throttle and it makes both stops (I dont think you are hitting the idle stop atm) then all is well and you can play with the idle stop.

If it hits the full power stop but not the idle try lengthening the sheath (outer) to start with. If you can't increase the length of the shroud anymore then adjust the inner until you make idle. Then confirm it still can make maximum and you are done.

You should always be able to get a positive stop (cushion) at each end of the travel when a morse or teleflex cable is rigged correctly.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Tom
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 12:58   #3

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: control cable replacement

Tom,
I waited till I had a chance to get down to the boat to look it over before saying, thank you very much. You were right; there was an adjustment I somehow didn't get right on the inner workings of the cable (in the leverage system on the engine part of the throttle) and that seems to have fixed it. I could write a book on the struggle I had installing those new cables.
Frank Cahill
cahill@gci.net
Anchorage Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men