Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 09:35   #31

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: cool, now my diesel tank is leaking

It's too late now, and probably doesn't apply in your case, but several times in the past when my first thought was "oh, no, my tanks are leaking," it turned out to be a leak in one of the hoses or fittings on top of the tanks that was then dribbling down and dripping off the bottom of the tank. After awhile, especially in old boats, the hoses harden up and won't seal well, or one of the fittings comes loose from vibration, etc.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:02   #32

Thanks for the feedback guys:

Regarding the angle grinder sparks, honestly I was just using it for the picture. I used a sawzall for a couple of hours then tried the angle grinder. The sparks were impressive so I snapped a picture, then went back to the sawzall. If you look, you can see I'm actually just buzzing the surface. I'll check out that Bosch tool though. Getting the bottom of the tank off looks nearly impossible with a sawzall because the hull is maybe 1/2" away from the tank.

Regarding a temporary tank, that's what I'm doing. Found a little 22 gallon that I can strap into the engine compartment for $200 and it will be here by Monday. With the rate I burn fuel that's roughly 40 hours of motoring so should be sufficient with some deck cans to boot. I dig the idea of a drum, but stowage space is pretty limited on this family loaded cruiser already.

Regarding the leak, it was from the bottom somewhere. When it was completely open I filled it with water and dish soap maybe half way, definitely 6" under any tank fitting. The drip came back.

I taped some plastic trash bags over the tank to shut the smell down (can't fully clean it out as much as I like).

Whew... should be enough to get to Mexico.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09   #33

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Have you ever been to San Diego Plastics? The folks there are really helpful -- maybe they can help you put together a plastic tank that fits exactly inside your old tank, so that you don't lose much capacity compared to a prebuilt one that may not be as tight a fit.

I know nothing about the plastic used in a diesel tank, if it can be glued together as easily as an aquarium or the other plastic boxes. No association, just a happy customer (from other, non-diesal tank boat projects).
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 13:01   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
Have you ever been to San Diego Plastics? The folks there are really helpful -- maybe they can help you put together a plastic tank that fits exactly inside your old tank, so that you don't lose much capacity compared to a prebuilt one that may not be as tight a fit.

I know nothing about the plastic used in a diesel tank, if it can be glued together as easily as an aquarium or the other plastic boxes. No association, just a happy customer (from other, non-diesal tank boat projects).
I'd hit them up if I had the time, but it's basically a week to go at this point. I think once I'm parked in a Mexican marina for a while I'll get back at the tank again. This thought is dancing through my head of "if I try to do everything right I'm never going to leave this marina."
Old 12-10-2012, 13:08   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You will probably be able to get a fuel tank or two welded up to replace yours for much less money in Mexico. Try to get a company that specializes in fuel tanks.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 13:12   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You will probably be able to get a fuel tank or two welded up to replace yours for much less money in Mexico. Try to get a company that specializes in fuel tanks.
Making the fuel tank is the easy part. These tanks were put in before the floor was. There's a good three feet or so extending under the galley with no access under the floor, and the tank is 1/2" from the hull. Can't angle grind it, can't sawzall it. I think I'll remove as I can and then seal off the rest with foam maybe. Seems kind of silly to reproduce the problem by managing (somehow) to get a tank to extend back into an area that's not accessible.

Meh, who knows. Looking forward to getting back to sailing and adventuring and putting the tools down for a bit.
Old 12-10-2012, 13:18   #37

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Seems kind of silly to reproduce the problem by managing (somehow) to get a tank to extend back into an area that's not accessible.
It'd be funny to repurpose it -- make it your new 'canned food for the apocalypse' or SCUBA tank locker.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 20:25   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
It'd be funny to repurpose it -- make it your new 'canned food for the apocalypse' or SCUBA tank locker.
The first thing my wife said tonight was "so that means there's more storage space now?"
Old 12-10-2012, 20:44   #39

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Just like a Lady !! always looking for more storage!! LOL If ya had a 50 ft boat with the same problem, she still would use the space! Connies the same way ! she asked me yesterday to messure a locker on our new to us boat , to see if she can mount a washer/dryer in it LOL never enough room !!Just think what I did aboard with 3 Girls !!! Uggg glad those days are over !!

Tags
diesel