Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2022, 08:46   #1

Coolant fill kits - for Yanmar

There are a number of coolant filling kits for cars, but hey it's harder to do it on a boat.

Has anyone found how to make a coolant change easier and less messy? Here's a $20 kit on Amazoo which is supposed to have caps to fit everything.

https://www.amazon.com/Thorstone-Rad...90047741&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Thorstone-Rad...90047741&psc=1
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 09:09   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Coolant fill kits - for Yanmar

IMO, It's not so hard to get the coolant in as it is to get it out and flush the system. That's what I'd be interested in hearing. My plan is to put a two-way valve on the coolant lines heading to the water heater to more easily drain and I could also isolate the coolant in the water heater, if that didn't need to be drained.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 18:45   #3

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Yes, tell me more.

I worried about removing all the old coolant when it was the green stuff to be replaced by the orange stuff and had been told they can't be mixed. So flushed repeatedly with water...distilled at that...before adding the orange stuff.

So this is the answer? I'm skeptical but willing to learn.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 22:43   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Most engines have a coolant drain plug on the side of the block,lowest point & usually towards the rear. Some have a petcock with a spigot to slide a length of cheap plastic hose on. on others,you may have to buy a hose barb fitting that will screw into the drain hole vacated by the drain plug.
Check your owners manual,online,Youtube,etc for your model engine.
Remove the radiator cap from your coolant reservoir to let air in & it should drain. Sometimes there will be a buildup of crud behind the drain plug.A short piece of coathanger type wire can be used to dig that out.
After you have drained it by gravity,apply light air pressure,or just apply water from a garden hose to the reservoir to flush the remainder.
Cheers/Len

Typical:

Old 23-06-2022, 16:02   #5

From.what I read the biggest coolant change risk is air bubbles, so I take the hot water tank.coolant line off at a nearby hose clamp and bring it out higher than the hot water and full it from there slowly. No spills and no.sign of bubbles..took about 1/2 hour. BUT

Now my temp sensor is not working, looks like the top copper lug connected to the wire to gauge cracked off...can I solder it back on? Anyone know how this temp gauge works?...old Yanmar 4JH TE
THANKS
JohnHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 17:39   #6

Boat: Southerly 480

This site has some good information.

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/the-b...diesel-engine/

I was planning on adding something like this on my last boat, but I didn't get around to it. My current boat has a lift muffler so I need to figure things out now.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, yanmar