Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2021, 14:02   #46

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Coopercoat: what do you put on saildrives and FFOF propellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Oh Bobby, ya just can't help it. My third block in all these years

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:55   #47

Boat: Privilege 482

OK, so here's our take on CopperCoat, but first a little info to clear up some misinformation popping up in the thread: it both works as a biocide AND is electrically non-conductive. It's non-conductive because each of the copper particles end up being encapsulated in epoxy. After application, you sand the surface and that removes the top layer of epoxy and exposes the copper to the water, where it can now become an effective biocide. Over time, more epoxy wears away and slowly exposes more copper.

So that how it's supposed to work. Does it? In our experience (30k+ miles, 9 years active cruising), yes. Is it a miracle cure? No. Does it still require some active scrubbing to remove slime and the occasional harder growth? Yes. We end up giving the bottom a quick scrub a with a green pad about every 2 months. But we find it just about as effective as any of the ablative stuff we tried, and now we no longer create a soup of chemicals when we clean the bottom. And anecdotally, we find most people that have it do like it, to the tune of probably 90%. There are a few that are unhappy with it, but usually due to unrealistic expectations of what any bottom paint is capable of.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:02   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
OK, so here's our take on CopperCoat, but first a little info to clear up some misinformation popping up in the thread: it both works as a biocide AND is electrically non-conductive. It's non-conductive because each of the copper particles end up being encapsulated in epoxy. After application, you sand the surface and that removes the top layer of epoxy and exposes the copper to the water, where it can now become an effective biocide. Over time, more epoxy wears away and slowly exposes more copper.
So even after the epoxy has dissolved and exposes the copper, the copper is still non-conductive ... got it
Old 03-01-2022, 07:09   #49

Boat: Privilege 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
So even after the epoxy has dissolved and exposes the copper, the copper is still non-conductive ... got it

Are ya' being intentionally dense? Yes, each tiny little particle of copper is conductive within itself, but the surface as a whole is not. Each particle is insulated from the one next to it by epoxy.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:09   #50

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
The other client with the steel yacht, used to use a Hookah and air palm sander to burnish the copper coat.
This is not anti-fouling it is exercise.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:12   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Are ya' being intentionally dense? Yes, each tiny little particle of copper is conductive within itself, but the surface as a whole is not. Each particle is insulated from the one next to it by epoxy.
Ahh I see now, You have no understanding or training or education in corrosion. .
Old 03-01-2022, 07:23   #52

Quote:
So that how it's supposed to work. Does it? In our experience (30k+ miles, 9 years active cruising), yes. Is it a miracle cure? No. Does it still require some active scrubbing to remove slime and the occasional harder growth? Yes. We end up giving the bottom a quick scrub a with a green pad about every 2 months. But we find it just about as effective as any of the ablative stuff we tried, and now we no longer create a soup of chemicals when we clean the bottom. And anecdotally, we find most people that have it do like it, to the tune of probably 90%. There are a few that are unhappy with it, but usually due to unrealistic expectations of what any bottom paint is capable of.

Scrubbing every 2 months is not antifouling. Yep did this. You can keep a bare waxed hull clean doing this.
I have used many anti-foul paints over the years and I can honestly say Coppercoat failed big time and before anyone bleats on about application it was done professionally exactly to spec. Expect to scrub it and scrub it and scrub it. Altex No 5 on the other hand very very ablative lasted 2 years in tropical Pacific and all I did was look at it. No fouling, no scrubbing and no exercise required. A very good aspect when there are crocodiles.

A quick pressure wash and reapplication over long weekend and we were good to go for another 2 years. Unfortunately, unavailable in some parts of the world. The other product that has good performance and longevity is International Pacifica Plus - nearly 3 years and a good portion stationary due to covid. Again not available world wide.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:52   #53
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Scrubbing every 2 months is not antifouling.
No anti fouling coating (be it a copper-loaded epoxy like Coppercoat or an actual paint product) is going to remain clean over time, especially in regions of moderate to high fouling. They simply do not have the the ability to completely eliminate fouling growth. Retard it? Yes. Eliminate it? No. If you believe otherwise, you have unrealistic expectations.

Quote:
Yep did this. You can keep a bare waxed hull clean doing this.
Maybe where you are you can but not where I am and I know that from extensive professional experience.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:43   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
No anti fouling coating (be it a copper-loaded epoxy like Coppercoat or an actual paint product) is going to remain clean over time, especially in regions of moderate to high fouling. They simply do not have the the ability to completely eliminate fouling growth. Retard it? Yes. Eliminate it? No. If you believe otherwise, you have unrealistic expectations.

Maybe where you are you can but not where I am and I know that from extensive professional experience.

Suggest you read again. My expectations are low.

"Altex No 5 on the other hand very very ablative lasted 2 years in tropical Pacific and all I did was look at it. No fouling, no scrubbing and no exercise required. A very good aspect when there are crocodiles"

This was in Solomon's, PNG, Philippines, any growth just sloughed off once sailing.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:00   #55
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Suggest you read again. My expectations are low.
Oh, I guess I misunderstood the part where you stated that if it requires cleaning it isn't anti fouling.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:26   #56

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Yes, we understand how Coppercoat works. The problem is that it doesn’t work well. [emoji38]
More just following the thread, 1 as it was getting quite funny 😄, but also as I have stainless rudders and was wondering what anti-foul to use, as I am changing boat location this year.

PS I have had this boat about 5 years and it was copper coated by the previous owner at some point before that - still waiting for signs of growth and I never spend anytime scrubbing the bottom.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:29   #57
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
PS I have had this boat about 5 years and it was copper coated by the previous owner at some point before that - still waiting for signs of growth and I never spend anytime scrubbing the bottom.
Your boat lives in the UK I presume? You might have had a different experience had you kept it in a place where fouling is an actual issue.
Old 03-01-2022, 14:27   #58

Boat: Fontaine Pajot 2011 Mahe Evolution 36 ft

I just replaced the bellows on my Volvo Penta sail drives in May. I have a catamaran so I have to do everything twice. While the sail drives were off the boat, I stripped and coated them. Initially I stripped the paint on the sail drives with a wire brush but then I read that the steel wires on the wire brush can leave particles embedded on the sail drive. So I lightly sandblasted the drives. I started with two coats of Interlux InterProtect Epoxy Primer and followed with three coats of Interlux MicronCF. MicronCF is a copper free antifouling paint that is safe for use on aluminum. I put PropGlide on the propellers.

Put the stuff on in May 2021 and so far everything looks good. That includes a round trip to Maine from Annapolis.
White Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 15:26   #59

Boat: Jeanneau NC11, 11m

Our boat is now 3 years into Coppercoat. Port Phillip bay Victoria Australia.
VP stern drives are painted with interlux anti foul.
Props are propspeeded, 2 years on

Props look like a reef after a month, bottom gets a slime, stern drives go whiteish all over, mussels grow, worse than hull.

When left longer, like last covid lockdown and not used for 6 months, bottom stayed about the same, seems to get a hard spidery growth, stern drives looks like a full on reef.
So for ME, trad anti foul is certainly no better than Coppercoat.

Yard blasted hull while drives get yearly service , new coat of interlux and was good to go again.
I accept that I need to clean the Coppercoat, but the drives are no different, and I’m happy not to release a huge cloud of paint and toxins into the marina.

A mate uses anti foul on his Riv, a few berths away, it seems to work very well, but needs redoing every 2 years, so I gather it’s a stronger product than interlux
blazing928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 16:05   #60

Quote:
On both, yes. Might get a couple of years out of it.
Yes, that has been my experience with Propspeed as well: 1.5 to 2 years, if applied strictly according to the instructions (application best left to Propspeed-certified yards).
southatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooper, propeller, rope, sail, saildrive