Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2007, 00:00   #16

Sounds like this is very important.

How do I "CHECK THE ALIGNMENT" ?

Thanks
Dave-Fethiye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:24   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Rather than explain it here, there are many books on the topic at your local Marine store. Basically, un-do the shaft coupling from the engine flange and check with a .002" feeler guage.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:14   #18

" there are many books on the topic at your local Marine store"

hahaha !

books in a Marine store ???

This is TURKEY ... nobody reads any books here !!!!!!

Anyway - waybe this thread has wondered off subject a bit so I'll ask that questin in a new thread - hope thats alright with the boss
Old 10-06-2007, 10:01   #19

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
See the thread "Connecting up the engine again".

Sorry to be blunt, but we need a wide shot photo of this engine room to fully appreciate what we're afraid we're going to see.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 15:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Fethiye
" there are many books on the topic at your local Marine store"

hahaha !

books in a Marine store ???

This is TURKEY ... nobody reads any books here !!!!!!

Anyway - waybe this thread has wondered off subject a bit so I'll ask that questin in a new thread - hope thats alright with the boss
Dave, if you get in trouble, telephone The Moorings at the Marina in Gocek. Ask for Constanza. Ask her to give you the name of a good diesel mechanic. From what I saw in Gocek, there should be no shortage of people who can get you sorted out.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 17:12   #21

The mounts deliverd with that engine are cast aluminum pot's with a rubber insert and threaded stud to adjust alignment with. Definetly replace then all. You will have to realigh when your done. **Now a trick of the trade** If you have an engine pan under the engine, go get a basketball or soccer ball. Deflate the ball and slide it under the engine. Now begin inflating the ball to take a light load off of the mount. Remove one mount and engine hanger (bracket) at a time.
As a first timer it'll take you about 6hrs to do the job including realignment.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:09   #22

Thanks for all the advice.
Funny, as it happens, my boat is actually at Gocek on dry land at present. I live in Fethiye ( 30 mins drive ) so I can not go every day to the boat. I am also doing repairs to my house so it a bit od a juggling act !

Anyway, I will try and take off one of the mounts and get a set of four replacements.

All the best for now
Old 14-06-2007, 13:16   #23

If you look carefully at the photo of my engine mount you will notice that there is no nut below the mounting bracket. Both nuts are on the bolt ABOVE the bracket.

I was talking to a boat engineer today and he was explaining how I should do the alienment - I suddenly realised that the engine on my boat has not been properly mounted from new !

All four of the mounts look the same as this photo, the other three are not broken of course but they have BOTH nuts ABOVE the bracket - so there is no way to do the engine alignment properly.

The guys that but the engiine in didn't know what they were doing - or maybe they did and wanted to sell another one in a years time when this one had worn out !

Anyway I am sooo glad that I have been in the industrial estate asking questions all day and eventually finding someone who knew what he was talking about and explianed it to me.

I will definitely do the alignment myself - it is too improtant to leave to some idiot that calls himself a boat machanic.

Anyway - just thought that I'd pass this point on to you guys.
All the best
David.