Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2014, 16:47   #1

Boat: 40' Aluminium Game Fisher
Cummins 6 BTA Replacement

Bula from Fiji,

I have been running a Cummins 6 BTA on my 40' Semi-dispacement hulled, aluminium game fisher and need to replace it.

Here are the engine details: Make: Cummins / Model: 6BTA 5 – 9 – M1 / Year: 1994 / CD 339 5-9 / Series: 403 / Serial Number: 45095665 / Shaft Horse Power: 250 hp.

I have the opportunity to get a replacement long block from the U.S. with virtually free shipping out here to Fiji.

I have been told that the 6BTA engines come in a variety of Horse Power ratings - 170hp to 370 hp.

I am hoping to get a higher powered engine and, of course!, to reduce costs as much as possible! I will also be replacing the fuel injection pump and turbo.

I am wondering if the blocks are indeed the same and parts from my existing 250hp engine can be interchanged with a replacement (say) 370hp engine? Same engine mounts? Same manifold? Same gear box mounting? Same starter? ... an anything else my limited knowledge has not thought of.

These are the details of my present gear box: Gear Box: HURTH Marine / Gear Box Ratio: 2.85 / Model: HSW 800 A2 - (ZF 80 A) / Serial Number: 20 14037 C.

I would like to stay with the Cummins as my old one has been reliable and the knowledge I have built up on them - although not a lot - helps me keep my old girl going!

I would welcome any input and or information.

Vinaka ... Patrick Todd
Fijitoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 10:05   #2

Re: Cummins 6 BTA Replacement

Many conversations like this on boatdiesel.com you might want to check there as well. But the common answer is there is a lot of changes to achieve each HP model that financially it never works out trying to modify it. As example your 250hp most likely has a freshwater cooled (block coolant) aftercooler and the next model up (330) has a raw water after-cooler, different turbo, injectors and injection pump. Just some food for thought.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 10:09   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Cummins 6 BTA Replacement

Check boatdiesel.com or contact Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine (sbmar.com).

-Chris

Tags
men