Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2017, 15:58   #1

Cutlass Bearing

Should a cutlass bearing make noise when turned by hand on the hard?
SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 16:22   #2

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA
Re: Cutlass Bearing

I can remember in other boats I've owned years back, the shaft would squawk after replacing a cutlass. I've replaced a lot of them in my years working in the marine industry (power and sail) but today they just don't seem to fit as snug - good or bad..?
It seems now a cutlass for a 1" shaft fits a little looser, and talking with manufactures its to allow a film of water between the bearing and shaft. Is this a change - I'm not sure. But sometimes I hear the shaft squawking when rotating one on land and I think, the bearing is dry, the hull has deformed some on the hard and changed the alignment slightly.
Just my experiences...

I
Old 03-04-2017, 17:19   #3

Add water, then turn, if no noise, then it is just dry rub noise. Cutlass bearing are designed to be lubed by water.
When I had my bearing replaced, and reinstalled, with new shaft, it would almost sound like it was chattering, until I wet it down. Then all went quiet, and smooth!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 13:37   #4

Boat: Catalina 270LE, 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
I can remember in other boats I've owned years back, the shaft would squawk after replacing a cutlass. I've replaced a lot of them in my years working in the marine industry...
I

I am trying to do some research on cutlass bearings. I am purchasing a 1994 Catalina 270 LE and the cutlass bearing needs to be replaced.

I am thinking that if a part has worn out and will wear out again, it is possible that there is something else causing this part to wear out. A misalignment? Or is it normal to replace these cutlass bearings every 3(?), 5(?), 10 years?

There are a lot of parts I am trying to learn the basics of that I have never really heard before or heard but know nothing about. Dripless, stuffing boxes, etc.
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 13:16   #5

Boat: islandpacket

Grab your prop and push it up down left right not just rotate it. It should not move and feel pretty solid. If it moves and wiggles much it may need replacing. These dont last forever.
Old 23-04-2017, 13:32   #6

maybe a squeak or rub sound. But really, not much noise that I can think of. If it's crunching or grating then tiny barnacles grew on the shaft while in the water and are tearing up the cutlass.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 13:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgeist View Post
I am trying to do some research on cutlass bearings. I am purchasing a 1994 Catalina 270 LE and the cutlass bearing needs to be replaced.

I am thinking that if a part has worn out and will wear out again, it is possible that there is something else causing this part to wear out. A misalignment? Or is it normal to replace these cutlass bearings every 3(?), 5(?), 10 years?

There are a lot of parts I am trying to learn the basics of that I have never really heard before or heard but know nothing about. Dripless, stuffing boxes, etc.
5 years minimum I would think. But lack of use can make it shorter.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote