Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2017, 08:07   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cutlass Bearing Failure

When I worked as a kid laying sewage pipe, the grease used for the O rings was soap based grease, can be had at a plumbing supply store.
The other non petroleum grease that springs to mind is either Crisco or Lard.
Either should be easy to find. I agree with non petroleum grease, as petroleum grease can deteriorate some types of rubber and plastics.

Procedure to align the driveshafting on a UH-1 helicopter is a string, and that driveshaft turns at 6600 RPM. Ain't nothin wrong with old school, sometimes a piece of string is better than a Laser
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 11:45   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Cutlass Bearing Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms95835 View Post
SvHyLyte..........Thank you for the response and ID of the type of shaft seal. We are dry with the shaft stationary, but getting an excessive amount of water when the shaft is turning. I'm happy to give the non-petroleum grease a shot to see if it helps. Can you give me an idea of a brand/type you have used successfully? Am assuming if this doesn't fix the issue, it's time to schedule replacement of the seal? Appreciate very much your time and information. Have found this forum to be filled with people willing to help, and it is appreciated!
Volvo does include a small tube of Silicon grease with the seal that is likely somewhere in your spares locker, maybe in the original packing box. They also include a 3rd clamp that can be applied around the seal an inch or two toward the shaft log if the lip seal fails but for emergency use only! So I bet the original box is around somewhere.

The bad news is that, although the Volvo seals are relatively inexpensive, it is not uncommon to find they need replacement every 5-6 years or so, and particularly so if the lips have not been lubricated as mentioned above. Unfortunately, replacement does require the boat being lifted out for a short while (although I know one fellow that got away with temporarily "sealing" the shaft log around the shaft with toilet ring wax and so did the job in the water. Perfectly frankly, I wouldn't try it.

An earlier discussion of the matter including a link to the part (I think you need one for a 30mm shaft) can be found at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...em-121104.html .

Something you might want to consider adding to your drive train while you're working on your shaft/shaft seal is a Globe Drive Saver if you have the room (I think you do). They are somewhat flexible and somewhat mitigate a less than ideal shaft alignment situation and, of course, can save your transmission in the event you get a line fouled on your prop.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 13:15   #18

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
Well, that is a bummer for sure. So many things just do not last it seems. Just sitting for a few months shouldn't do this, but then again in a hot climate I suppose anything could happen. Do you think your alignment was good to begin with?

It will be interesting to see what you find tomorrow. I'm really wondering what that bearing is going to look like. It almost seems like something wasn't right with the install.
You have it right. Something wasn't right during the install, and carful remove and inspection will tell you what is wrong. Go slow, look at everything especially the bearing itself and see how it is wearing. That will tell you if there is an alignment issue, or an installation. Issue. Good luck!
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:24   #19

Well the mechanics got the old bearing out this morning. Non metallic housing with very little rubber left on the inside. Was worn evenly front to back, and really showed no signs of uneven wear, just worn out. Shaft is good....Yay! New parts should be installed on Monday, and will check the alignment carefully. Also scored some non petroleum base NLGI #2 grease from a fellow sailor in the marina, so will lube up my Volvo shaft seal and see if we can stem the flow of seawater coming through that seal. Will work on a plan to replace with something (pss, Tides Marine, another Volvo) once we get to Fajardo.
rms95835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 13:40   #20

Boat: Catalina 270LE, 27'

Pardon me, but how did you all learn the basics about cutlass bearings, props, shafts, stuffing boxes, seals, etc? I am trying to learn and looking for either some threads, online info or other...
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 14:46   #21

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Engine alignment or a bent shaft would be the first two things I would check.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote