Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2022, 20:02   #1

D1-30 How to drain coolant when nipple is broken

My bottom plastic draining nipple on my D1-30 is broken and completely seized inside so cannot be removed. I've drained what I can through the top nipple but don't know how to get the rest out. Is there another way? I've got a manual suction oil extractor but can't seem to find anyway to get low enough for the last few litres. Thanks in advance for any help!
GavDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 21:33   #2

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: D1-30 How to drain coolant when nipple is broken

For those of us who are not telepathic, could you please define "D1-30"? We assume it is some type if diesel engine? Thank you
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 23:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
For those of us who are not telepathic, could you please define "D1-30"? We assume it is some type if diesel engine? Thank you
My apologies, its a volvo penta d1-30 engine with sail drive
Old 02-09-2022, 01:40   #4

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Hello GavDog,
Sorry If I cam across as rude, but it is really difficult to help/give suggestions if posters don't give the forum enough details.
First, "a photo is worth a thousand words", so if you can, it would help us to post a few.
Second, it sounds like you talking about oil? Yes?
Could you tell us if you are talking about oil in the sail drive or engine oil/ They are not the same.
I find it strange for there to be a "plastic draining nipple" on an engine, so I'll assume its the saildrive. Yes?
Since you are talking about a "bottom" nipple being broken off, I'll also assume you are on the hard (out of the water) and you are trying to drain and replace the oil in the saildrive. Yes?
If the nipple is "broken off" and the oil is not draining, then I'll assume that part of the nipple is still in there and that's what is "seized". Yes?
There are some fairly easy ways to get the remains of the plug out, and for future maintenance, its really a good idea to get the plug out and replace it.
One option is to get the appropriate size "easy out" and use that to back the broken plug out. If you don't know what an "easy out" is look here:
https://www.amazon.com/easy-out-extr...+out+extractor
They are cheap and all you need to do is drill the right sized hole in the middle of the plug and use the easy out to remove it. There are heaps of youtube vids which demonstrate the process.
If that doesn't work, get back to the forum and I can suggest other ways.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
Hello GavDog,
Sorry If I cam across as rude, but it is really difficult to help/give suggestions if posters don't give the forum enough details.
First, "a photo is worth a thousand words", so if you can, it would help us to post a few.
Second, it sounds like you talking about oil? Yes?
Could you tell us if you are talking about oil in the sail drive or engine oil/ They are not the same.
I find it strange for there to be a "plastic draining nipple" on an engine, so I'll assume its the saildrive. Yes?
Since you are talking about a "bottom" nipple being broken off, I'll also assume you are on the hard (out of the water) and you are trying to drain and replace the oil in the saildrive. Yes?
If the nipple is "broken off" and the oil is not draining, then I'll assume that part of the nipple is still in there and that's what is "seized". Yes?
There are some fairly easy ways to get the remains of the plug out, and for future maintenance, its really a good idea to get the plug out and replace it.
One option is to get the appropriate size "easy out" and use that to back the broken plug out. If you don't know what an "easy out" is look here:
https://www.amazon.com/easy-out-extr...+out+extractor
They are cheap and all you need to do is drill the right sized hole in the middle of the plug and use the easy out to remove it. There are heaps of youtube vids which demonstrate the process.
If that doesn't work, get back to the forum and I can suggest other ways.
No sorry it is the coolant draining nipple in the engine. I don't have the photo sorry but attached is diagram that shows it. It is part #36
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images (1).jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	263784  
Old 02-09-2022, 04:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavDog View Post
No sorry it is the coolant draining nipple in the engine. I don't have the photo sorry but attached is diagram that shows it. It is part #36
Ps, part 37 is seized in place so I can't remove that either so I need to find a way to drain another way or to stick it out somehow
Old 02-09-2022, 05:36   #7

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

What is part #37 made from. What is the access and what methods have you tried to remove it. Photo will really help.
Manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:57   #8

Drill the plastic out, chase the threads & put a new one back in.
If it is plastic it's much softer than the surrounding metal, so it should be easy to drill out. When you buy a new plug you can use it to match the threads to get the proper tap to chase the threads out, to clean the remainder of the plastic plug out.
KrazyKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:30   #9

Boat: TP52

Screw extractor might get the plastic plug out. Bit of heat wouldn't hurt
RocketScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 18:00   #10

Cut off the remains of the plastic petcock, get a socket with a big breaker bar and unscrew the adapter which is screwed into the block. They are tight, but do come out.

That will drain the rest of the coolant, though a bit messy. Then you can drill and tap the remains of the plastic fitting out of the adapter. Once the plastic fitting is out of the adapter, I would install a brass or steel hose barb fitting in place of the plastic fitting and reinstall the adapter. Install a 1/4or 3/8” hose on the hose barb and run it to the front of the engine or somewhere you have good access and put a plug or petcock in the hose end. That way you can drain the coolant in the future without all the gymnastics.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 18:16   #11

Many thanks everyone. It's out now although the threads died from the drilling so onto finding a different part to make it work as the original is horrendously expensive. Really appreciate all the help!
Old 05-09-2022, 05:33   #12

Can you tap it out to the next pipe thread size larger?

If not, take the damaged part down to your local plumbing supply store and buy a steel or brass pipe plug with the same large thread as the one you have. That’s what was used in the earlier 2030 series engine. Drill and tap the head of the pipe plug and install the aforementioned hose barb fitting and you’re back in business for little money.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 13:00   #13

Many thanks, I have done just that

Tags
coolant