Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2020, 11:27   #1

Boat: C&C 41
Dead control panel, motor runs

I have a 5 y/o Yanmar 3jh5e. Yesterday the control panel went dead but the motor kept running. It shut down normally when back in the slip. Today it starts and stops. Checking other posts on the forum the engine is supposed to stop when the power goes out. The 3 amp fuse is intact. I noted a fuse on the purple/white line (panel power) but it is too yellow to see if it is blown. Another clue is that during the anchor drill the day before the panel began to blink and chirp. I am having difficulty getting a technician to call me back during this time of Covid. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.
kvstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 13:06   #2

Boat: None
Re: Dead control panel, motor runs

Check for a bad ground connection to the panel. When you have power but things are wonky, it is commonly a bad or disconnected ground wire.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 13:54   #3

Boat: C&C 41

For the record the problem was a shorted switch on the control panel--the power button to be exact. It was the devil to figure out. Many thanks to Mastry Marine and to Tom at Sea Safer Marine of Largo, Florida.
kvstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 14:25   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Checking other posts on the forum the engine is supposed to stop when the power goes out.
Unless your engine has an electric lift pump or is a common rail engine, the above isn't true. It will continue to run as long as it has fuel and air. One of the nice things about mechanically injected diesel engines!

Jim
Old 12-05-2020, 15:58   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvstein View Post
For the record the problem was a shorted switch on the control panel--the power button to be exact. It was the devil to figure out. Many thanks to Mastry Marine and to Tom at Sea Safer Marine of Largo, Florida.
Thanks for the update, glad to hear it was sorted. In case you haven't already done it before, now would be a good time to become familiar with the emergency stop procedure as outlined in the operation manual.

Anytime power (or a ground) is lost to the switch module, you can't operate the stop solenoid from the panel.

And FWIW, the 3 amp fuse in the panel only supplies power to the alarm lamp / tacho sections of the panel. There is no fuse to the switch module although I believe there is a fuse for each function inside the switch module.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3JH5e emerg stop.png
Views:	59
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	214967  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 19:01   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Unless your engine has an electric lift pump or is a common rail engine, the above isn't true. It will continue to run as long as it has fuel and air. One of the nice things about mechanically injected diesel engines!

Jim
A word of caution here Jim, while what you wrote is mainly true, it is not always true (at least not to all diesels).

I have seen some older mechanically injected truck engines that use a energised stop solenoid in the run position. Removal of current causes the solenoid to relax into the stop position - a failsafe design if you will.

This has caused me a headache before I cottoned on to what was going on - the engine just didn't want to start until someone kindly told me to check the stop solenoid circuit.

I dunno if such designs ever made it into the marine market but I reckon there will be one somewhere. IMO, such a failsafe design is bad idea on a boat but maybe a good idea on a truck (thinking of a master electrical kill switch in event of some accident).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 21:02   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
A word of caution here Jim, while what you wrote is mainly true, it is not always true (at least not to all diesels).

I have seen some older mechanically injected truck engines that use a energised stop solenoid in the run position. Removal of current causes the solenoid to relax into the stop position - a failsafe design if you will.

This has caused me a headache before I cottoned on to what was going on - the engine just didn't want to start until someone kindly told me to check the stop solenoid circuit.

I dunno if such designs ever made it into the marine market but I reckon there will be one somewhere. IMO, such a failsafe design is bad idea on a boat but maybe a good idea on a truck (thinking of a master electrical kill switch in event of some accident).
Well, I'll be... I didn't know about them, Wottie. Seems a damn fool way to run a navy, but then I never ran a navy myself!

On our engine, and all the other ones I've investigated on boats, the stop button energizes a solenoid which pulls the shut-off valve. Makes it easy to manually stop the engine whilst working on it below decks, away from the control panel.

thanks for the heads-up.

Jim

Tags
control panel, motor