Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 15:16   #1

Boat: Chung Wa, Magellan, 36', White Swan II
Question Decarbonizing Volvo MD17C Engine

I've pulled the exhaust mani off and it looks pretty manky inside the water passages. I've been warned against hot tanking it any suggestions on how to really clean it out, ie parts cleaner or ?? Also the water passages look a little oily, maybe leaky head gaskets or?? This is my first diesel so any info no matter how basic will be appreciated!
thanks
divicolouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 20:30   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
First...buy a shop manual....

Cleaning out the water passages is NOT decarbonizing...That is a different process for other parts of the engine
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 20:37   #3

Try Seafoam. It's GREAT!

Quote:
Sea Foam, when used in Diesel fuel, cleans fuel deposits from the fuel system and carbon from inside the engine safely. It also adds lubrication and controls moisture when added to diesel fuel at one ounce per gallon.

Another use for Sea Foam in Diesel applications is cleaning fuel injectors. This is accomplished by getting engine to operating temperature then shut off. Remove the fuel filter (replace filter if needed.) Empty all diesel fuel from filter or filter housing and fill filter or housing with straight Sea Foam. Reinstall filter on engine, making sure there is no air in filter. Start engine and let run about two minutes, then shut engine off and let sit about 5 minutes. This is called a “HOT SOAK” letting the Sea Foam soak into the carbon. After the “hot soak” period, restart the engine and rev aggressively for about 5 minutes. This will clean carbon from the injectors and the combustion chamber inside the engine.

Sea Foam can also be used in oil for cleaning the crankcase. Adding Sea Foam to your oil will clean oil deposits and varnish from your crankcase, free up sticky lifters and clogged oil control rings. Add Sea Foam to the oil at one pint to four gallons of oil. Then run the engine a minimum of one hour before changing oil.

Sea Foam is very safe and effective in the ways described above. Most people that own and work on Diesel cars and trucks know that no liquids can be used through the air intake system of a Diesel engine including cleaners and starting fluids. If this is done to a Diesel engine it can cause major engine damage including Hydro-Lock or uncontrolled engine acceleration known as “RUN AWAY”. Do not add Sea Foam to the air intake of a Diesel engine!!

If these simple instructions are followed, Sea Foam will effectively and safely clean your fuel system, injectors and the crankcase when used in Diesel engine applications.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, engine, md17c, volvo