Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2020, 17:29   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Deep fryer oil in diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Well, that explains it. The DD 8.2T was just about the worst medium truck engine even to curse any multitudes of gods green earth.

I think the OP is right on the money as to the proper course of exploration - drink a lot of beer and bs with your friends about it.

I like the extra lubricity explanation. I worked off the arctic ice pack north of Alaska for several seasons as a young man. We ran the biggest air cooled Deutz we could find for our custom built, air mobile hydraulic power pack.

The diesel up there had to be ultra low lubricity (no long chain fuel molecules) so the diesel wouldn’t jell in the 55 gallon drums it was delivered in.

Prior to fueling our power pack heated fuel tank with diesel, we would pour in a quarter liter of lube oil into the fuel. Otherwise, the high pressure, close tolerance fuel injection pump would burn up.

The veggie oil did a better job of providing a thin film for surfaces to ride on.

I think that calls for another beer.

The fish sounded delicious too

I like the highlighted idea.
As for the fish, 45 min old, line caught, iki spiked snapper is a bit different than the 3-5 day old trawl fish that you get at the fishmongers or in a restaurant that they describe as fresh. Deilicious doesn't quite cover it.

We do go thru a fair bit of vege oil.

The only parts the vege oil would lube would be the lift pump valves, injector & injection pump & maybe intake v/v stem AFAIK though I have no idea what their actual power draw is.
Doubt that drag from mineral diesel would be 3/4 of a hp which is what an extra 300rpm gets you according to Yanmars power chart in w/shop manual. but I have no idea really.
thanks for comment.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 18:19   #17

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
I like the highlighted idea.
As for the fish, 45 min old, line caught, iki spiked snapper is a bit different than the 3-5 day old trawl fish that you get at the fishmongers or in a restaurant that they describe as fresh. Deilicious doesn't quite cover it.

We do go thru a fair bit of vege oil.

The only parts the vege oil would lube would be the lift pump valves, injector & injection pump & maybe intake v/v stem AFAIK though I have no idea what their actual power draw is.
Doubt that drag from mineral diesel would be 3/4 of a hp which is what an extra 300rpm gets you according to Yanmars power chart in w/shop manual. but I have no idea really.
thanks for comment.
How about the fry oil coating the cylinder walls just a wee bit better, sealing the rings more, and thus increasing compression a bit?

If you read Patrick O’Brian, windage (the blowby in old time smoothbore guns had an enormous effect on cannon range.

See what beer fueled conversation can lead to
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 18:36   #18

Quote:
How about the fry oil coating the cylinder walls just a wee bit better, sealing the rings more, and thus increasing compression a bit?

If you read Patrick O’Brian, windage (the blowby in old time smoothbore guns had an enormous effect on cannon range.

if it only work that thay...but it don't
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 18:36   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Yes whilst on boat I considered that but hell this is a horizontal cylinder engine which must get heaps of oil slung on the liner walls from the crankshaft & it has good compression anyway.
Still thats not to say its not even better but I think the vege oil is getting burnt or you would think there would be visible vapour if it wasnt.
Guess it does lube/seal it before ignition tho so maybe you are on to something.
I need more beer mulling it over time but ATM it's heading to the top of the possibilities.

It might be the oil coming out of the fish in the deep fryer has real high BTU's compared to the vege oil???
Heading down a wormhole here...
Old 18-12-2020, 19:02   #20

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

I’ll go with dkenny’s experiences (I think) that bio-diesel (which fry oil ain’t) doesn’t have higher energy content than dino-diesel. I looked a little into making my own biodiesel some years ago, but my quest ended as strictly online research.
Do not try this experiment in colder climes. And have plenty of spare filters if you do try it anywhere.

Fresh out of the water fish can be exquisite compared to what we usually get in restaurants or at the grocery. I love living on my boat in a port that has active fisheries. One of the many benefits of cruising.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 19:17   #21

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Alive, alive oh! Alive, alive oh!

Frying cockles and mussels and fish in deep oil...
His motor runs better with recycled VO

Frying cockles and mussels and fish in deep oil...
Old 18-12-2020, 19:51   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Curious....

Just how much beer was drunk before noticing this increase in power??????

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 20:11   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenny64 View Post
if it only work that thay...but it don't

I'd ask you questions about biodiesel production but at 600 cc's per hr fuel consumption I can't be naffed.
Not too worried wether the vege oil mix is proper biodiesel as did enough research to be pretty sure that at 10% ratio I'm not doing any damage.
Dont like boating in the cold.

Of course Wotname asked the proper ? as to wether the motor continues to perform the same when we run it on pure mineral diesel again.
May be a reason unrelated to the fuel but I'd be surprised, however that doesn't mean much, just gotta follow the evidence.
Impossible to duplicate the ratios of fish & shellfish "contaminates" that went into that old deep fryer oil.
Pity as 1st rule of experimentation is ,AFAIK, is the experiment repeatable?
Will take a while to run more experiments as 20 litre fuel tank can last a while as we are part time cruisers.
Your experience leads me to believe it's more likely not a fuel related reason for sudden power increase but I say again motor was rebuilt recently & had good compression after rebuild. Starts instantly too.
Old 18-12-2020, 20:23   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Curious....

Just how much beer was drunk before noticing this increase in power??????

Actually none as we had to dive, but gud relevant ?
If we didnt score diving/fishing we'd be vegetarian with nothing to go in the deep fryer except broccoli.
Nothing wrong with that, just not the target species

The sudden increase in power drove me to drink after dive tho as I hate not being able to have an explanation.

I can see where Spithill gets it from. lol.

Lookn fwd to the overnite ( here anyway ) contributors
Old 18-12-2020, 21:06   #25

I'll get back to yall in the am..
yes I made and ran biodiesel for years.
in regular diesels, newer ones, and CRD types..
yes even 100%bio in those.. for years.. no problems
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 08:18   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Grand Banks 46

I would have to drink a lot of beer to put anything other than clean diesel fuel in my tanks for my Cat 3208s.
Parrothedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 09:36   #27

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

It may interest the group to know that a few years ago I had the chance to test old cooking oil involved in a plant explosion and hurting some operators. Well the composition of old oil was composed of a number of cyclated hydrocarbons and I mean a lot of byproducts were composed of benzene rings. For those chemists in the group that makes for easier combustion. Typical old cooking oil fire.
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 10:38   #28

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I have run biodiesel in a diesel car for a number of years. It has often been observed that biodiesel results in the engine burning cleaner and does remove combustion deposits from the engine. I assume you are seeing a similar effect by using filtered WVO as an additive.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 11:12   #29

In the time that sunflower oil was about a third of diesel I rann my peugeot 1..9td on a mix of somewhere around 50 50 veg oil and diesel.
Sometimes it was near 80 % sunflower. Bought it in bowes and poured it in on the parking place
The only difference was the smell and the tank cap got sticky
Car was yearly tested, also for soot. No soot.
The car is back on diesel coz cooking oil got too expensive and I use that car far less.
jakkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 11:44   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothedd View Post
I would have to drink a lot of beer to put anything other than clean diesel fuel in my tanks for my Cat 3208s.

Yes an understandable view but it wasn't entirely a stab in the dark as i knew plenty of diesels had run on cooking oil.

Also ours is a single cylinder that is easy to strip & clean if it had say carbon buildup.
if it gummed up the fuel system also easy to clean as i had previously rebuilt injection pump.

But mostly I just like to experiment

Tags
diesel, oil