Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2020, 19:37   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Deep fryer oil in diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yeah but.... that bit doesn't count - no one reads right to the bottom of the page.

I'll go back to running mine at 3400 now (unloaded)

]It's Boxing Day, beer o'clock starts at sunrise[/
Wot a brilliant idea, lucky I read to the btm of post
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 19:54   #92

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Just be careful with any paint thinner type products or you can have issues. You’d want to monitor exhaust gas temperature
Old 25-12-2020, 21:02   #93

Boat: 8.5m Fast Sailing Cat, 7.5m McLay Aluminium HT

Since we are both in NZ land of the covid free, out there doing it (boating and beer at Christmas), I thought I would add my diesel experience. I was reinstalling a newly rebuilt excavator engine and we needed somewhere to store the diesel from the tank while we cleaned the tank. All we had was plenty of empty hydraulic oil 20l drums, the crusty diesel magician who was helping me said this was a bonus as the NZ diesel was such rubbish the extra oil would actually help. I don't remember what was bad about our diesel but I wonder if you had basically the same experience...
mdenize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 22:17   #94
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sun King View Post
I think I recall that Rudolph Diesel's early engines ran on veggie. A conventional diesel engine will run on just about any oily liquid that you can get through the filter. The WVO and SVO crowd tends to preheat the oil, though that is not necessary in warmer weather and in high dilutions, such as yours.

In my numerous truck and tractor engines, I have poured in transmission fluid, hydraulic oil, engine oil, paint thinner, Jet A, gear lube and actual diesel fuel. The particular type of injector may foul more easily with some brews. On engines with pointy injectors I never had any issues. On injectors with flat tips, I could get fouling, especially when burning used motor oil containing a teflon additive. My current pickup has a notoriously sensitive and expensive fuel pump, so I am staying with pump diesel in it.

I applaud your experimentation, but advise against going crazy with it if you'll be far from port. Keep a spare fuel filter in the cupboard. Smaller engines have a lower flow through their tinier nozzles, so are more particular about good filtration.
Just don't use helicopter transmission oil - it doesn't burn very well - treated with something or another not to burn (AFAIK).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 01:35   #95

Watched a bloke at the local supermarket put a couple of large bottles of sunflower oil into the tank of his camper van. On another occasion I was overtaken by a small van that smelt of fish and chip shops - think that he'd been using old oil in his tank.

Did read somewhere that old cooking oil doesn't need much treatment - just filtering to get the bits out. Probably depends on the sophistication of the engine being used.
GarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 06:02   #96
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonali99 View Post
First, happy boxing day, have a fifty for me. Now to the coking oil.
No problems here in my '82 Yanmar 2GM. We deep fries a couple of turkeys for thanksgiving. Strained the penut oil really well and dumped it in my fuel tank. I figured oil right? It'll burn. Well yeah it ran fine, no power increase though. (still only 13 hp.)
But... exhaust did smell like a burger joint following me.
Or maybe pizza?

Try cooking scallops, oysters, mussels, snapper, kahawai, porae & kingfish in the oil before you dump it in the tank for that turbo effect.
However our oil was mostly soybean oil.
Old 26-12-2020, 06:14   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
I’ll go with dkenny’s experiences (I think) that bio-diesel (which fry oil ain’t) doesn’t have higher energy content than dino-diesel. I looked a little into making my own biodiesel some years ago, but my quest ended as strictly online research.
Do not try this experiment in colder climes. And have plenty of spare filters if you do try it anywhere.

Fresh out of the water fish can be exquisite compared to what we usually get in restaurants or at the grocery. I love living on my boat in a port that has active fisheries. One of the many benefits of cruising.
I thought the first few tank fills of bio needed new filters quite frequently as the bio cleaned out all the gunk from the lines, FIP and tank etc, only for it to collect in the filters.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 06:45   #98

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Try cooking scallops, oysters, mussels, snapper, kahawai, porae & kingfish in the oil before you dump it in the tank for that turbo effect.
However our oil was mostly soybean oil.
With rice and beans, right?
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 07:01   #99

I've noticed some thoughts on filtres. I replaced the racor that came with the boat with a WIX heavy duty for use in off road construction equipment. Has that nice water drain at the bottom too.
My 2GM doesn't push much fuel, barely a trickel on the output side. So...
Thinking about a fuel boost/electric pump. Have been using a primer bulb like outboards do and it works fine for filling the filtre. But you guys got me questioning my primary pump. Hmmm.
Old 26-12-2020, 08:07   #100

Older tractor engines in Yanmar / Beta marine setup run ok on cooking oil/diesel mix but modern engines injector pumps need diesel and preferably not bio diesel. If you want to take the chance with a modern diesel and cooking oil then carry a spare injector pump - they are only a few thousand a time.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 14:42   #101
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacksman View Post
Older tractor engines in Yanmar / Beta marine setup run ok on cooking oil/diesel mix but modern engines injector pumps need diesel and preferably not bio diesel. If you want to take the chance with a modern diesel and cooking oil then carry a spare injector pump - they are only a few thousand a time.

Yes I only did research on my 1980 IDI mechanical injection 2400 psi injection pressure engine before trying this.
I too would be wary of trying it on any common rail type. Would need to research that first.

The thread was just to find out why I got a performance increase not to tell readers to do the same.
Old 26-12-2020, 15:04   #102
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonali99 View Post
I've noticed some thoughts on filtres. I replaced the racor that came with the boat with a WIX heavy duty for use in off road construction equipment. Has that nice water drain at the bottom too.
My 2GM doesn't push much fuel, barely a trickel on the output side. So...
Thinking about a fuel boost/electric pump. Have been using a primer bulb like outboards do and it works fine for filling the filtre. But you guys got me questioning my primary pump. Hmmm.

I suspect we have the same pump as you & yes it does just trickle out but its been going for 40 yrs AFAIK so I just let it keep pumping. They use the same one on a 3GM30, just a different actuating arm.

We only use 600cc of diesel per hr & yrs would only be double that I imagine so no need for a gusher. We do carry a spare electric pump just to make sure the mechanical one will not crap out.
Havent burnt enough WVO yet to see if filters are going to be an issue but cant see why they would be if its pre-filtered.
Tho the warning about washing stuff out of the tank & lines may come into play.

No beans eaten with the fish, occaissionally rice, more often chips ( french fries) or fried potatoes but sometimes battered fish alone.
Old 26-12-2020, 15:14   #103
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

No beans eaten with the fish, occaissionally rice, more often chips ( french fries) or fried potatoes but sometimes battered fish alone.
Yep, stick to deep fried accompaniments when eating deep fried sea foods.
Makes for more turbo fuel additive .

Never put used bean or rice water in ya fuel tank, the engine really drops off the power curve. Ya prolly already know this tho.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 05:59   #104
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yep, stick to deep fried accompaniments when eating deep fried sea foods.
Makes for more turbo fuel additive .

Never put used bean or rice water in ya fuel tank, the engine really drops off the power curve. Ya prolly already know this tho.

Yes the P.O. educated me on the perils of trying to make a diesel into a steam engine. He had no o-ring on the diesel fill cap & rust is not a good feature in an injection pump or injector
It was an interesting experience cleaning the tank, bit surprising to find a tree leaf in there???? Made me wonder if it was sabotage but I'll never know.
Putting petrol in the tank after removal & agitating for a while produced a liquid that looked like high hours used diesel engine oil but much thinner.

Made me upgrade the filtration system so got away from Yanmars overpriced tiny filter.
Old 27-12-2020, 06:42   #105

Quote:
I suspect we have the same pump as you & yes it does just trickle out but its been going for 40 yrs AFAIK so I just let it keep pumping. They use the same one on a 3GM30, just a different actuating arm.

We only use 600cc of diesel per hr & yrs would only be double that I imagine so no need for a gusher. We do carry a spare electric pump just to make sure the mechanical one will not crap out.
Havent burnt enough WVO yet to see if filters are going to be an issue but cant see why they would be if its pre-filtered.
Tho the warning about washing stuff out of the tank & lines may come into play.

I burn twice what you do. 2 litres at 7 kts. (about 3000 rpm.)
The original owner had a small little electric pump which failed. Looked everywhere to try and replace it. No luck there sadly.
It did remind me of the fuel boost on the Beechcraft.
So ... where did you get the electric pump? Hate to have a problem in a seaway or better (worse?)yet under a bridge.

Tags
diesel, oil