Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2021, 11:06   #1

Did I flood my engine?

Hi,

I feel like I've done this before to winterize the engine, though probably on the hard....

Anyway - I was hand cranking the engine to winterize with the decompression levers pressed down. Quite a few minutes of cranking to get the antifreeze through the system.

After a bit, I noticed a gurgling coming from the air intake, and even with the decompression levers down the engine would "catch" a little and be hard to turn... but I could still absolutely turn it over okay. Also when I stopped cranking it I heard what sounded like water going somewhere - but maybe just water going out the exhaust...

I do have the duckbill antiphon and I checked that it seems to be working and installed correctly (duckbill downfacing, it was clean).

Also I do have a wet muffler, but I don't think the exhaust was filling up, as my hose to the muffler is clear and I didn't see any of the pink antifreeze filling up in there. But maybe it was and I couldn't see it.

Oh - and I was an idiot and took the oil out, but forgot to put oil in while I was hand cranking (I did not run the engine at all during this process) I don't think this would hurt it... but maybe reason for the gurgling noise?

Anyway, I did not want to start the engine until I asked around about this, and maybe even got a mechanic in to see. I did check the oil after replacing it and the oil is clean - no water in it (though maybe there is antifreeze in it and that doesn't turn the oil milky like water?)

Any advice is welcome!
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:34   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Did I flood my engine?

How many gallons of antifreeze did you pump into the engine?

A typical waterlift muffler won’t hold a ton of water (maybe 2 Gallons), and without the engine running the muffler isn’t going to empty.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 16:55   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I doubt you have done any real damage but you may want to consider spraying WD 40 or CRC 6-66 in the air intakes whilst hand cranking as you probably have got some antifreeze in the cylinders. It's possible you have bent a pushrod but they can be straightened. Take the water injection hose off the exhaust & feed it into a bucket if you can.
The air intakes should never gurgle & the catching when hand cranking is a giveaway. However it's hard to do real damage whilst handcranking so ignore my pushrod comment unless you have starting or running problems.
Lucky you weren't using the starter motor.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 13:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
How many gallons of antifreeze did you pump into the engine?

A typical waterlift muffler won’t hold a ton of water (maybe 2 Gallons), and without the engine running the muffler isn’t going to empty.
Not much. Maybe 1-1.25 gallons, but that is being conservative.. some of that went into the bilge, and also was used to winterize some other lines.
Old 07-11-2021, 13:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
I doubt you have done any real damage but you may want to consider spraying WD 40 or CRC 6-66 in the air intakes whilst hand cranking as you probably have got some antifreeze in the cylinders. It's possible you have bent a pushrod but they can be straightened. Take the water injection hose off the exhaust & feed it into a bucket if you can.
The air intakes should never gurgle & the catching when hand cranking is a giveaway. However it's hard to do real damage whilst handcranking so ignore my pushrod comment unless you have starting or running problems.
Lucky you weren't using the starter motor.
I guess my question is - how do I get the water out of the engine, if there is any in it? Turn it over a bunch by hand without any water going into the mixing elbow while putting some WD into the engine?
Old 07-11-2021, 15:14   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
I guess my question is - how do I get the water out of the engine, if there is any in it? Turn it over a bunch by hand without any water going into the mixing elbow while putting some WD into the engine?
First, seacock off!

Then I would turn it over using the hand crank, decompressed, then use small amount of WD spray still decompressed.

Then spin it over decompressed with the starter motor (but no more WD) for at least 20 or 30 seconds. Spinning it over on the starter motor decompressed doesn't load the starter motor too much but do keep an eye of the stater motor temperature - you should be able to touch it without burning hand!

Then reset the decompression levers to normal and ensure you can turn it over by hand through compression - it will be hard of course but it should be possible. If it does turn over, try a proper start, if it fires and runs, open seacock and run for a few minutes at say, a fast idle.

Stop, change oil and filter.

Then run it again under load to get to max oil temperature - usually about 30 - 40 mins at full load to get oil up to full temperature. You can measure the oil temperature with a IR temp gun on the oil filter.

Stop and confirm new oil is still clean. If so, open beer!

If pedantic, change oil and filter again!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine