Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 01:13   #1

Boat: Lotus 10.6
diesel additives

Just about run out of some stuff I have been putting into the diesel tank for the last 3 years called "fuel power". Our local shop says it is not made any more. It is an American product. Diesel & Turbo tried to sell me some Racor stuff. They warned me how potent it was (gloves etc) and the label had a warning label that had to be removed to get to the instructions! Decided against it.
What diesel bug stoppers do you guys add to your diesel?
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The first line of defence, is ensuring that all fuel goes in clean and dry. I filtred all diesel, no matter the source, through a "Baha" filtre.
Then, I used "Biobor JF", or "Kathon FP1.5" biocides.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:25   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Any one tried one of these Magnetic style of filter before?

Save Fuel - Eliminate Bacteria, Fungus, and Yeasts from Diesel, Oils, Kero and Jet

Algae X Magnetic Fuel Conditioner

Dave
Old 12-02-2007, 11:20   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I have been using PRI-D for diesel additive the last 8 years.

As I open the tank and clean it every 2 to 3 years I can tell for sure that it works great.
No slimey algaes, no nothing...
Old 12-02-2007, 18:43   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
lots of data out there from other than those that sell the the magnetic conditioners that they do pretty much nothing to condition your fuel. You will hear from those that bought one that swear that they work wonders but who wants to admit they bought a worthless piece of equipment. BTW we have been using Valvetec for years and have been perfectly satisfied, but then who wants to admit they buy a poor fuel additive.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 18:51   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Seafox-
If you have a manufacturer's name to go with that product, do a web search for the MSDS on it. That will often tell you what the magic ingredients are and then you can find something similar.

Catman-
I looked at the claims of one of those magnetic products. It had (has) USN milspec ratings and is used on USN and USCG vessels, according to the maker.

Well, yeah, and every "Consumer Reports" and car magazine or radio show that has tested them has found they do nothing. But in the spirit of boredom I went and looked up the milspec they cited, and you know what?

There's a milspec that says "This device can be firmly bolted to a bulkhead and when so bolted, it will remain securely fixed to that bulkhead no matter how badly we bang the boat around." That's the milspec it meets, basically a military specification for a paperweight.

I figure, any company loudly advertising they meet the milspec for a paperweight and making it seem like a very important PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION...is selling paperweights. As for being used on USN and USCG vessels? Yeah, the government will install anything you supply, in order to actually perform the paperweight conformation test for the milspec. Apparently, if you submit something for the milspec test, they have to.

So, save your money. Products that really *work* can always point out objective data showing they really do. These guys can't.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 21:21   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Anti Algal

I add an anti algal agent to my diesel.
Don't know whats in it.
I understand it is esential in warm climates where the fuel might stand for a while.
Don't know about other areas.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 22:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hi Darryl, there are plenty of biocides around. If Racor are suggesting one, it should be good. Wurth have one that I found was expensive and if anything a waste of money. Wynns actually has an OK one andFuelset is another and not badly priced. Repco sells Fuelset and it helps take care of any water if it is in the tank.
You don't need to buy expensive additives as long as the additive has the biocide. DO NOT buy the additivs that say they reduce friction in some way. They can be harmful.
The magnetic things are a total waste of time and money. They are something that would be considered "busted" on mythbusters.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 02:27   #9

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Thanks everyone.
Off to the sounds again in the morning Alan. Brought the boat back from Seaview yesterday. 10 and half hour trip. Wouldn't want to keep it there all the time. Too far to the Sounds. Going to spend the weekend with some friends in QC and also meet some others on Sat with their charter. Home Monday.
Been some good weather for a change. Seventh trip over in the last 4 months so getting some good sailing in.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 11:15   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I just got in from 3 days out. OK sailing. Had a light 12kts. She doesn't pick up stride till I get 15. Great fishing though. I could see clearly all the way across to your side for a change. Cold though. Going to be warm for the next few days by the look of it, but the wind ain't looking like much.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 18:05   #11

Thank's for the feed back on the magical magnet's guy's.

Back to plan A and just use a biocide.

I see this a bit in Oz, but have no opinion on it

AFC 705 Diesel Fuel Catalyst

Also this one

Fuel Doctor - The Product

Fuel Doctor's frequently asked questions

Might help

Dave
Old 14-02-2007, 19:20   #12

Boat: Willard 40PH trawler, ALOHA
I own a single engine power boat and the leading cause of engine malfunction is bad fuel. Therefore, fuel quaity is of paramount importance to me. I do not use biocides, fuel additives, or magnetic bug killers.

In my opinion, biocides are a bad idea. Yes they do kill the algae and bugs but these fall to the bottom of the tank where, if there are enough of them, they will clog your fuel filters. Biocides can exascerbate the problem.

In my opinion, fuel additives are a waste of money. Diesel fuel has the proper formulation to insure the proper operation of the marine diesel engine. Diesel fuel can degrade over time and lose some of it's volatility. The answer is to burn your fuel over some reasonable period of time, say 6 months rather than add additives of questionable effectiveness and value.

In my opinion, maganetic bug killers are "junk science." I have never seen any verifiable scientific research that prove that they work. I did work for a company that is the largest builder of Homeland Security boats for the Navy and Coast Guard. We never did intall magnetic bug killers in the fuel systems and I have never heard that these devices were part of any military specification.

So, what do I use? I have installed a fuel polishing system that draws off the bottom of my fuel tank. My fuel (as much as 700 gallons) is constantly pumped through my primary filters via a small DC pump. The pump draws very low amps. If there is an algae bloom in my tank, it is being filtered out before it has an opportunity to clog my filters. I am very happy with the brand of my fuel polishing system, but there are several brands out there that do essentially the same thing.
alohaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 20:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohaboat
So, what do I use? I have installed a fuel polishing system that draws off the bottom of my fuel tank. My fuel (as much as 700 gallons) is constantly pumped through my primary filters via a small DC pump. The pump draws very low amps. If there is an algae bloom in my tank, it is being filtered out before it has an opportunity to clog my filters. I am very happy with the brand of my fuel polishing system, but there are several brands out there that do essentially the same thing.
Any more info there mate, I'll be in the same boat in about 18 mths time.

We'll have a total of 2400l in 6 main tanks pumping up to a gravity fed 150 l tank x2, 1 for each motor.

Most times we figure on having about 1000l on board and the other tank's empty to save weight, and add to performance/economy.

We also want some form of fuel polishing system on board, and I really need to get the spot sorted for that ASAP.

Do you find that you use a lot of filters?

Dave
Old 14-02-2007, 20:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
The first line of defence, is ensuring that all fuel goes in clean and dry. I filtred all diesel, no matter the source, through a "Baha" filtre.
Then, I used "Biobor JF", or "Kathon FP1.5" biocides.
Does anyone know of a Baja style of filter that can cope with the amount of fuel coming from the fuel dock nozzle.?

I imagine it would take day's to pour a couple of thousand litres through a hand held funnel.

Dave
Old 14-02-2007, 20:46   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Aloha-
"I have never heard that these [magnetic] devices were part of any military specification."
That's because they are not part of any military specification. Rather, at least one of them meets a certain military specification for equipment installed on ships. It is, indeed, a "milspec" device meaning simply that it meets a military specification.
Most of the rubes are too dumb to look up the specification and see what it means. The product does what the cited milspec requires it to do: remain affixed to a bulkhead during hard maneuvers, without falling off.

Personally, I find it hard to remain affixed to bulkheads unless I've got lots of Velcro.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel