Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2023, 08:34   #1

Diesel conversion fuel tank

I recently purchased a sailboat that had a diesel inboard added after market. It was definitely a diy job but it does work. I admit I'm a newbie to diesels but I'm trying to learn as fast as I can. My question is they had converted a plastic gas outboard tank to use for diesel and the way they attached the hoses to it is, One hose comes from the old fuel connection . Then they attached a hose to the filler lid (guessing this would be the return line. But then there is a T just above the return line with a hose that is about 3 feet long that goes nowhere. I have no idea what that is for? I should also mention its almost impossible to get the fuel lid off with the hoses attached to it. Any ideas what this hose was for?

Just to clarify 2 hoses attached to the tank fill lid and one to the gas connection.
jp.beauchemin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:40   #2

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber
Re: Diesel conversion fuel tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp.beauchemin71 View Post
Any ideas what this hose was for? .
Sounds like it is being used as a vent line for the tank. Not the best design.
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:57   #3

So I should just mount the hose as high as I can so the return doesn't go out it instead of back into the tank

Yeah not the best design.
jp.beauchemin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:18   #4

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

You need to trace the hoses from the engine, there will be a lift pump on the side of the engine, with a large hose for the feed, a smaller hose for the return, then you need to find where they run.

Yes, the fuel tank needs to be vented.

Honestly the best thing you can do here is put in a proper tank with proper fittings, coast guard can fine the hell out of you if that tank leaks and puts fuel in the water, and it can get you kicked out of a marina.

Your fuel system isn't something to cut corners on.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:54   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

vent lines should go overboard. how do you add fuel to this tank? it sounds like a temporary setup that needs to be replaced

Tags
diesel, fuel, fuel tank