Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 12:00   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 27 1978
Diesel Engine Fuel Hose Replacement

I am trying to replace my fuel hoses from the tank to filter and filter to engine. After removing the hose clamps I realized removing them will be harder than anticipated. I put a lot of strength into it and tried to use some tools to loosen it up. Tomorrow I am going to try with a razor and just cut them.

I don't want to cut them without making sure my hardware store as the correct hoses though. The houses aren't labeled so that may be difficult.

Any help or information would be extremely appreciative.

-Howie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2862.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	212576  
Howie Curd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:18   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Diesel Engine Fuel Hose Replacement

looks like that hose has a crimped on fitting? usually fuel hoses are fitted onto a hose barb with a hose clamp
Old 11-04-2020, 12:58   #3

Those have to be made up special ! The clamp you took off was a special flat clamp I bet ! You have to undo the nut above the collar to take them off ! As gonesail above said ! I replaced mine on our Volvo Penta, thru a vendor on line, as ours had a fire retardent sleeve over the fuel line !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 13:08   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

That does in fact look like a barbed fitting with cup. They can be very ignorant to remove, try twisting with channel locks to break the bond first. Do not get hose from your local hardware store. Make sure you get proper A1 diesel fuel hose.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 13:27   #5

Boat: Dufour 35

There is no problem using hose clamps, preferably double clamps, as a replacement in this application.
As said,only use ISO 7840 (A1) quality marine diesel hose. The ISO 7840, among other things guarantees that the hose is resistant to an open flame for at least 2.5 minutes.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 13:33   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Do not get hose from your local hardware store. Make sure you get proper A1 diesel fuel hose.
This, automotive fuel hose, even that meant for Diesel, does not meet the safety specs required for below deck use.
Old hose always cut off, if you don’t your liable to bust fittings wrenching on that old hard as a rock stuff. But be careful many a person has cut themselves doing it.
However the hose in your picture does appear to be a manufactured hose, and the fitting may have to be replaced with one that has a barbed end for replaceable hose, or a new hose purchased, very often a hydraulic shop like one where agricultural equipment is repaired can make new hoses, but I’d supply the A1 fuel hose if I went that route.
Sometimes those fittings can be disassembled and new hose fitted, aircraft hydraulic hose for instance you can, but even if it can’t it can be replaced with a fitting with a barbed end.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 14:29   #7
rbk

Boat: T37

Pretty sure that fitting is similar to Racor fitting here
https://www.racorstore.com/racor-951...hose-barb.html
It does not look pressed as they usually don’t apply a hose clamp afterwards. The cup in the link above is plastic but I have seen a few made of metal. As A64 said you can always take it to almost any local tractor, diesel, pump, agriculture store and get another pressed for pretty cheap if it isn’t a barbed fitting.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:12   #8

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
There is no problem using hose clamps, preferably double clamps, as a replacement in this application.
As said,only use ISO 7840 (A1) quality marine diesel hose. The ISO 7840, among other things guarantees that the hose is resistant to an open flame for at least 2.5 minutes.

Thomas
A-1 hosing, push on hose fittings, no need for 2 clamps and don't tighten too much. Overtightening can cut hosing.
This is the suction side so there's no pressure.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:25   #9

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

There's probably a Pirtek store near you. Just get them to make new hoses. New fittings are quite convenient.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:47   #10

Boat: Coast 30

Howie, You have not shown the region in the world were you are located so it limits local contact advise. I have a Volvo Penta...They wanted $289 for a hose. The Volvo dealer claimed the his cost was $190,

Here in British Columbia Canada...Hyseco my local Racor Parker dealer made one up for $90. The unusual hose diameter was a special order. The ends were crimped on.

I recovered the original fittings from the crimp by burning away the rubber with a propane torch. They were not too happy about reusing the original Volvo banjo fitting, but I managed to persuade them even though they thought theirs would work. I do not have any barbed fittings with hose clamps connections anywhere in the diesel fuel system. I suppose that is a matter of individual choice.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:47   #11

Boat: Trlåren 31

Don't forget the fuel return line if it's a hose too (like mine).
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, fuel, men