Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2018, 05:41   #31

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Diesel engine won't start after changing fuel line

Looks an awful lot like a Kubota Z482 which is possibly a Beta 14. That may get you in the ballpark...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 07:50   #32

Boat: Privilege 435 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

The ONLY bleeding technique YOU need to know is what is required for YOUR engine.

IMHO this is indeed the valid answer.

Now you need to look at your Kubota for a label plate to identify the diesel engine you have on board. If you don't find this on your engine, look at Kubota's homepage for hints on how to identify your engine.

A service manual or similar should be available at Kubota's homepage. Look at it and you know what you need to do and how.

Keep in mind that every problem you encounter lets you understand your boat better.
p435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 08:02   #33

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

If it has glow plugs make sure they are working. Make sure it cranks fast enough also.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 08:23   #34

Hey, thought I'd put some advice here b/c I've been struggling as well with bleeding my engine.

I have a bulb and personally this works great, but it is still tough to get all the air from the lines after changing filters.

After bleeding all except at the high pressure pump (extremely hard to access on my engine, so I avoid if I can) I was still having the engine die after 10-30 seconds. Of course then I'd check and sure enough, more air had worked its way to the injectors. Bled them again, and start... 20 seconds later... did this about 4 times.

Previously I used this pump on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...085L5W97&psc=1

To help bleed the lines by attaching it between the 1st filter and the lift pump and turning on and then bleeding.

But the other day I had misplaced (or lost? tossed?) this pump.

My cousin was on the boat and had a great idea: operate the bulb while the engine was running. Worked amazing. Other little bit of air got pushed through and then the lines were bled through I assume the injectors. No smoke or anything really while doing this and the engine then ran awesome in really rough water for the next 30 minutes (after running at the dock for 10-15 minutes to ensure we'd not stall in chop).

No problems about an hour later too when we came back from our very short sail.

So, I feel the lesson is you have to take things slowly, like most things with a boat, and double and triple check your work, then try and think of how to solve the issues. DC pumps are great and I feel you should have one on the boat for a variety of reasons... emptying your fuel tanks, polishing fuel, etc.
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 09:52   #35

Boat: Bavaria 36'

When I change the fuel filters on my Volvo MD 2030 it is virtually self bleeding, it will chunter away for a few seconds when started and then run smoothly. But when we had diesel bug and had to clean through it had to be bled
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 14:40   #36

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

welcome to the wonderful world of boat diesels - you've started in the right place; about 95% of problems people encounter with their engines come down to air in the fuel system. So take your time reading up and use this first experience to become as familiar as you can with your fuel supply system. The good news is that once you've gotten everything set up right, it'll take so long for another problem to arise that you'll have forgotten most of what you learned...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, fuel