Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 15:09   #46

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Diesel Engines Love & Hate List Features and Problems

Izuzu 3kr1 30 hp, crudely marinised. Hrs unknown.

Best features

Keel cooling, no raw water circuit, heat exchanger or holes in the hull.

Dry exhaust, no water inside it, minimal chance of a hydraulic lock. Or rusted exhaust valves/bores.

An electric lift pump and a bleed hose with a tap making bleeding the system after a filter change as easy as opening a valve and holding a tin under it, then turning on the ignition.

Mounted high enough that an oil pan can be slid under the engine to catch the oil during a change.

Sliky smooth 3 cylinder and always started 1st time. Never needed any work done on it. V reliable engine and cheap industrial parts to rebuild. I'd have one again anytime.

Dislikes

Keel cooling means a dry exhaust. Prone to leaks and very hot.

Uncooled exhaust manifold, a fire danger.

External rust due to it being mounted right under the companionway where salty drips would land on the engine.

Glow plugs needed 5-10 seconds if cold, and one more source of potential issues.

Crankcase breather vented to cabin. Smelly. Hard to retrofit breather tube.

No decompression levers.

Electric solinoid shut off. Failed, replaced by string. Much better!

Needed the electric fuel pump to run. Potential extra failure point.
Old 03-11-2016, 16:20   #47
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

SNOWPETREL,

Thanks for posting such a good list of Likes/Dislikes for your engine.
I learn something new with just about every one of your posts and this one brought several new things to mind. Thanks for taking the time to write it out so clearly!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:59   #48

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

1978 Westerbeke w30, 4cylinder, 30 hp, rebuilt in 1993 (per PO's note but no receipts). Owned x 2 yrs to date, so assume this list will grow/change:
Pros - after 15-20 seconds of glow plug starts reliably after cranking for 10-15 seconds; water pump in front of engine for easy replacement of pump and impeller; no smoke, runs smoothly at 2000-2100 rpm at approx 0.5 gal/hr; ease of winterizing; overall simplicity.
Cons - parts expensive (eg water pump $640) and sometimes difficult to get given the age; dip stick almost impossible to reach/see; horizontal oil filter.
thnks
dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 16:49   #49

Boat: Kurt Hughes designed 57' cat.

I've currently got a problem like I've never had with a diesel(of course it's on a boat) It's a Kubota EA 300 series single cylinder engine that runs a large alternator and a water maker pump. When I came back to my boat in theBahamas after being gone for 4 1/2 months I couldn't get it to start. It turned over fine had fuel both going and returning. I tried starting with starter fluid to eliminate fuel problems but no go. Checked the inj. spray and it seemed fine, checked the compression and it had none. This engine only has 650 hrs on it but I digress. I tore it apart and could fine nothing wrong with the internals. Rings are sharp piston looks fine cylinder walls look good valves look fine. Any ideas?
Rduncanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:52   #50

Boat: GibSea 472

The reason a diesel engine do not start are : bad compression, air in fuel line, injection pump problem, mostly timing. And timing is very crucial. I would remove the injector and check if it sprays well(be carefull not to protect your skin from diesel spray. It should be a powerfull, fume like spray. If it spray well, then the injection timing is the problem, or bad compression(brocken rings, cylinder glasing, wear. a valve not closing properly?). The most probable cause being air in the circuit).
Good luck!.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:10   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rduncanson View Post
I've currently got a problem like I've never had with a diesel(of course it's on a boat) It's a Kubota EA 300 series single cylinder engine that runs a large alternator and a water maker pump. When I came back to my boat in theBahamas after being gone for 4 1/2 months I couldn't get it to start. It turned over fine had fuel both going and returning. I tried starting with starter fluid to eliminate fuel problems but no go. Checked the inj. spray and it seemed fine, checked the compression and it had none. This engine only has 650 hrs on it but I digress. I tore it apart and could fine nothing wrong with the internals. Rings are sharp piston looks fine cylinder walls look good valves look fine. Any ideas?
Bet lunch on a stuck valve. probably exhaust valve
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:48   #52

Boat: GibSea 472

I agree. Valve must be the problem. Since you took the engine head out, il would be easy th check it, by removing the valves. Look at this trick to have the valves out without much trouble.
It works very well, and have a good look at the calves and the valve's seat, you will know for sure. If the valve are ok, then a pressure test is required, since, a crack somewhere is possible. A mechanic will perform that for you in a munnute...
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 08:57   #53

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I can't comment on how well my engine runs because I haven't started it yet. I chose a Transatlantic Diesel Cummins B3 conversion for my ketch restoration project. 65hp, non-turbo. I wanted to keep it simple so avoided the turbo. One thing I didn't like was the horizontal mounted oil filter. I looked on the intereeb and found a company that makes remote oil filter kits that "fit all Cummins". Only to find out it didn't fit mine.

So, I had my machinist make a adaptive bushing to allow for a proper flow at the block. Now the oil filter is up at the top of the engine bay.

Another problem is with the dipstick. Located very low and very short. I bought a universal dipstick and fabricated a tube to match - now it, too, is up at the top of the engine bay.

Looking forward to cranking it over soon.
Old 13-11-2016, 17:51   #54

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I’ve found this is a very interesting post originated by Steady. Thanks Steady you’re always full of mostly good ideas.

I had an old Yanmar YS8 that had well and truly done its duty. It had just run and run and run. It’s only serious fault was its propensity to allow water ingress through the head gasket. As a result regular head gasket changes are beneficial, say every 3 years. And that’s not much of a job. But over the last several years parts had just become so expensive and less and less available and also very expensive here in NZ.

I replaced the motor with a little 14 hp Ruggerini 2 pot. It was second hand from a big genset. It’s been brilliant and is an ok cream. . As per an earlier post, my motor has an in built oil extraction pump you can see on the left. Makes oil changes very simple, clean and quick.

But I thought you might enjoy the following extract from Bill and Lauren Cooper’s book; Sell Up & Sail first published in 1987. I just happen to have been rereading this book a couple of days ago. Long term world cruisers from Britain they wrote their well read book and the same question was asked under the chapter on maintenance and repair (engines) you read :
There are some companies whose diesels may or may not be the best, but whose engines are found worldwide and whose service is first class. In my view, chief among these is Perkins, whose engines in various forms are found in tractors, harvesters, buses, trucks and fishing boats. I have come across sheds in rural Calabria, Italy and huts in Africa with every conceivable Perkins part. At every depot I visited it has been ‘Yes, how many do you need?”, and I have not found any other make near this standard.

If you add to this that our Perkins 4236 engine has done over 5,000 hours without any major attention and you will understand my feelings.

They go on to talk about a variety of small marine diesels, including Yanmar, Volvo, Beta, Lister, DAF, Westerbeke, Gardner etc giving merits and ratings as appropriate. But I found it interesting that 30 years later we’re still asking the same questions about basically the same motors.
Old 13-11-2016, 17:58   #55

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
I can't comment on how well my engine runs because I haven't started it yet. I chose a Transatlantic Diesel Cummins B3 conversion for my ketch restoration project. 65hp, non-turbo. I wanted to keep it simple so avoided the turbo. One thing I didn't like was the horizontal mounted oil filter. I looked on the intereeb and found a company that makes remote oil filter kits that "fit all Cummins". Only to find out it didn't fit mine.

So, I had my machinist make a adaptive bushing to allow for a proper flow at the block. Now the oil filter is up at the top of the engine bay.

Another problem is with the dipstick. Located very low and very short. I bought a universal dipstick and fabricated a tube to match - now it, too, is up at the top of the engine bay.

Looking forward to cranking it over soon.

I would add - my engine came with an oil extraction pump for oil changes. I have one of those on the Atomic 4 in our Pearson Triton. Best thing since sliced bread.
Old 13-11-2016, 19:20   #56

Boat: Tartan 37

Westerbeke 50 (41Hp) 1979. 1,200 hours after complete rebuild.

Easy to work on
Found British car parts to use on it. MGB Waterpump is a perfect fit cost $39.
Has remote vertical oil filter.
Sump oil pickup tube.
Very economical, 0.6 half/hr
Over powered for boat

Dislikes
Seems to have a few RPM sweet spots.
Noisy
Hard to bleed.
Westerbeke stop supporting parts.
Leaks oil.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 21:35   #57

Boat: Alberg #0

Yanmar 2GM20F, 700 hrs, Alberg30.

Just love the lack of glow plugs, real diesels don't need them :-) I started mine easily at 7 deg f last winter to see if it would.
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 15:58   #58
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Recently came across this tip by SKIPMAC, and thought it may help someone reading this thread in the future.

Regarding Westerbeke 58

SKIPMAC wrote:
"the W58 is the exact same engine as the Perkins 4.154 series 200 and the Perkins parts are A LOT cheaper than the Westerbekes. "

Anyone reading this far in the thread, remember this thread topic thrives when you share your Love or Hate comment on your engines.

If you have a tip about your engine, pass it on.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 23:27   #59
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Just came across this thread so a quick post is in order

I love decompression levers on a diesel, they make life SO much easier - whether it is for diagnostics, hand starting or even helping a semi flat battery / lazy stater motor to spin the engine over.

I have been lucky, all of the five small engines I have had has been fitted with decompression levers (Arona, Buhk and 3 Yanmars).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 01:19   #60

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
love my perkins 4-108. covet a 4-236, but formosas donot plane ha ha ha ha ha
is simple and easy. rebuilds are not difficult--parts available world wide.
got no clue as to year originally built, rebuild completed 2014, august, and less than 200 hours on currently.
it is perfect.
i have no urges to gain more power by turbocharging--the turbos run too hot, and in at least 2 instances within the past year have caused total loss of boat due to fire. engine bays in boats do NOT have the air flow necessary to keep turbos cool.
You have a 4108 too? Would you mind adding me on Skype? bigalnz
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine