Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2018, 01:29   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Diesel Engines Love & Hate List Features and Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Gardeners dig dirt!!!!! Gardners sing sweetly to those who know.

They sure do. And there are thousands of them in junkyards all over Britain -- they were used to power Bedford and Leyland buses from a certain era. A good percentage of the Chinese fishing fleet is powered by ex-bus Gardeners. A remanufactured one is worth thinking about for a new build . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	179033

We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 02:05   #77

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
They sure do. And there are thousands of them in junkyards all over Britain -- they were used to power Bedford and Leyland buses from a certain era. A good percentage of the Chinese fishing fleet is powered by ex-bus Gardeners. A remanufactured one is worth thinking about for a new build .:
If you don't plan on venturing away from the rare as rocking horse sh** Gardner guy I could possibly agree.

But id hate to be somwhere even semi remote with one.
I reckon id prefer to stick with something that has good support and found in every mine site, farm equipment, dozer across the planet.

I can get on eBay, alibaba etc and order Cummins bits to my door.
Be hard pressed getting Gardner.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 04:12   #78

pirate Re: Diesel Engines Love & Hate List Features and Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I own a 2010 Volvo d2 75, 100 hrs when I got the boat in 2015. It now has just under 1200 hrs. Before I get into the problems I must say it's been a good running engine and I blame Volvo not the engine for the problems. Heading south last fall I started smelling exhaust and tracked it down to where the turbo bolts to the manifold. Upon inspection I found one of the studs had broken off. When I disassembled it I found they used stainless studs to mount the turbo which I believe work hardened and broke. I've always thought exhaust studs should be hardened steel. A broken stud wouldn't have been to bad but the turbo cracked from being unevenly torqued after the stud broke. Volvo wanted 3100$ for a turbo plus gaskets and studs totalled about 22% of the cost of a brand new engine. When I removed the adapter between turbo and manifold I found that Volvo assembly never removed a piece of scotch tape on a gasket that holds a rubber insert to a metal gasket with a coolant passage through it which should have been removed before assembly . Which had been weeping just enough to cause lots of corrosion between the flanges. Luckily Volvo doesn't make the turbo and I could get an exact replacement minus the green paint from a turbo shop for 1000$. That's some mighty pricey paint. They don't even make the engine thank God it's also used by cat, perkins, Cummins and possibly others so I hope to not have to deal with Volvo for parts. Sorry for the long post, kind of venting.

you will find that not only volvo use s/s studs cat use them too 3400 ser 6,8,12 cylinders engines have s/s taper lock exhaust studs
oldtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 08:49   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
If you don't plan on venturing away from the rare as rocking horse sh** Gardner guy I could possibly agree.

But id hate to be somwhere even semi remote with one.
I reckon id prefer to stick with something that has good support and found in every mine site, farm equipment, dozer across the planet.

I can get on eBay, alibaba etc and order Cummins bits to my door.
Be hard pressed getting Gardner.

Except that Gardners don't require parts. They don't break . . .

We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 16-10-2018, 12:26   #80

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Except that Gardners don't require parts. They don't break . . .
Until they do

I wonder how the Gardner mechanics in our part of the world make money?
I wonder why people we know had to have an 8lxb rebuilt and are still trying to track down a heat exchanger 18 mths later.

I could have a new HX here for my nta855 Cummins in a couple of days
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 21:02   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
My Yanmar 3YM30's:

I love their reliability, smooth running, and fuel economy; and they're not too noisy as engines go.

I hate how difficult it is to extract the old oil during changes, and that broken impeller vanes pass right into the heat exchangers, necessitating their disassembly.
I'm not sure what your setup is but I installed a strainer between water pump">raw water pump & engine water injection to sift the impeller vanes out. Of course you should replace yr impellers before they fail coz sure as s**t they'll fail when a 50 tonne gin palace is dragging dwn on you in a crowded anchorage & its 4am & gusting 55knts so no-one can hear yr horn. But even after that I'm too cheap to replace impeller at recommended intervals. Hence the strainer. Ours is raw water-cooled tho so dunno about yr heat exchanger.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 21:43   #82

. I am a full-time live aboard on the hook. By far the most too problematic systems on a boat are the generator and the dingy motor
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 00:21   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Until they do

I wonder how the Gardner mechanics in our part of the world make money?
I wonder why people we know had to have an 8lxb rebuilt and are still trying to track down a heat exchanger 18 mths later.

I could have a new HX here for my nta855 Cummins in a couple of days
I was joking, of course.
Walt Whitman
Old 13-02-2019, 10:42   #84
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

[QUOTE=Steadman Uhlich;2249089]I am starting this thread as an ongoing thread where any CF member can post something about their Diesel engine that is particularly LOVED or HATED.

Whichever Engine brand you have, please note the following when you post:
1. Engine Brand, Model, and Year
2. Engine Hours
3. Type of Boat and model

Here are a few ideas to get you started:
It could be a unique mechanical part that is either a positive or negative.
It could be a problem getting replacement parts (e.g. Old engines).
It could be outrageously expensive parts.
It could be a labor saving device (manual oil pump for oil changes).
It could be an optional part that is added to increase reliability (electric lift pump).
It could be a poor design of the engine or parts that causes failures or issues.
It could be quirks or odd things required to service the engine.
It could be excessive noise (hate) or lack of noise and quiet (love).
It could be hard to access parts that require special tools or contortions.
It could be that you are in LOVE with your engine and consider it the best brand, the best model, and the very best you have ever had in your life.

The rest is up to you. Show your Love or show your Frustration (Hate).[/QUOTE

1. Volvo Penta D2-55B
2. ~1600
3. Tayana Vancouver 42

Volvo Penta D2-55B has been very reliable over 12 years of ownership with no major problems. Professional install by previous owner, I inherited with only 2 hours on it. Parts are expensive. Volvo Penta air filter is a joke, now using a K&N. Aftermarket parts slow to pick up this model line. Fuel filter best changed after oil filter removed. "B" model came with 80A alternator so upgraded to Balmar 110A but tears up belts so went with serpentine conversion...much better. I have heard this engine is a Perkins modified by Volvo Penta; can anyone confirm?

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 08:17   #85

Boat: J42

We have a 1996 Yanmar 3JH2-TE 47 HP turbo in our J42. My primary hate has been the near-impossibility of accessing the the raw water pump impeller due to the 2" clearance between its cover plate and the starter.

Huge thanks to Noah Peffer who bought a J42 in San Diego which has been fitted with a Johnson F6B-9 crankshaft-mounted raw water pump. All that is needed is to fabricate a bracket for the 5/16 torque bolt boss on the pump body.

Thanks to Eric Froehlich at Johnson pump for sharing the drawings of their F6B-crankshaft pump (P/N 10-24930-01). Note dimensions are in mm.

I have just ordered the pump from MarinePumpDirect.com for $153 and a two pack of impellers for same for $49 (P/N 09-812B-1).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3JH2-TE WITH JOHNSON F6B-9 CRANKSHAFT RAW WATER  PUMP.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	186172   Click image for larger version

Name:	F6B-9 End Cover View.PNG
Views:	130
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	186173  

Name:	F6B-9 Pulley Flange View.PNG
Views:	119
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	186174   Click image for larger version

Name:	F6B-9 Side View.PNG
Views:	117
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	186175  

Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 15:21   #86

I have a Chrysler-Nissan SD22 on my 1974 CT41 ketch named Liberty. The engine was rebuilt in 1993 by the original owner, who taught Diesel Engines at San Luis Obispo, and it now has about 3000 hours. I do not have the exact hrs as I am away from the boat.
I do like the reliability of the engine, the auxiliaries are not as good, but I understand this is a common problem among all engines. Maintenance has been relatively simple. Over the years, I bought her in 1998, I relocated the belt driven raw water pump and the oil filter for ease of service.
My current problem is with the Tachometer that now does not show any rpm's. I have narrow down the problem to the Generator Sender unit. Resistance testing shows 15 Ohms instead of 50, as indicated in the Siemens-VDO troubleshooting
guide.
I have contacted three local auto parts stores and Nissan but found their data does not go back to the 1970's and if they don't have a part number they are lost.
In the internet I found a part that looks similar to the one I have in every aspect except for the terminals location but I am not certain it is the correct part. It is a Siemens-VDO 340-001 and its troubleshooting guide says resistance test should be 50 Ohms. I tested my unit and it reads 15 Ohms.
I would add a picture of my unit if I knew how.
Any helpful ideas appreciated.
Enrique
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	%EDl%VNgRyOiQ3RSsKApIg.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	186701  
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 17:42   #87

interesting..

first
perkins 4.154 -about 2150 hrs..I think since last rebuilt(rebuilt before we bought the boat)

like other perkins..used everywhere..bobcats. boats. cars(MAzdz B2200)
easy to get parts for..
down side..vbelts.. would like to see/find serpentine belts..mainly for the alternator..

Cummins - not much mention..not sure why..
4bt - used in all sorts trucks and boats

6bt - boats. RV. dodge truck..I'd think the older 12v would be better on a boat. no computer..I've got 335Kmiles on my 24v truck..should go another 150-500K miles.. I think i heard that its about 3000hrs per 100K miles..so my truck has about 9000hrs..runs like a top..

Detroit diesel - what about the 8.2L, 4cycle.. only electrics are the starter and the alternator..no injection pump either....turbo or not..might have had 500kmiles when it went to the scrap yard..tranny problem in a school bus..but the engine was fine..

other diesels
VM2.8L in the Jeep Liberty, US model..ok except for the US EPA mods..too much electronics for a boat..at least for me..

-dkenny64
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine