Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 10:56   #16

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: Diesel filler cap lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhunter1097 View Post
There has been a bit of diesel thieving in my area, and I came across a filler cap with a key lock. Won’t work for me as I know if I don’t loose the keys, the saltwater over the deck will ruin the thing anyway.
Got me thinking that I could just put a shut off valve inside the boat to prevent any syphon hose getting to my tank.
Would be easy to do as I have plenty of access

Other advantages are no salt water or dirt will get in when I don’t tighten the filler cap again.

Can even do it on the fresh water too
I’ld attach the filler cap key to the shut off valve so as to remember to open before filling up, but not a biggie anyway

Any reason why I can’t do it?
So, we're they siphoning the diesel outta your boat?
Or?
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 00:23   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
We installed a ball valve directly under the deck of each our two fuel fills- mainly as a hedge against water getting into the tank. [Not that we don't trust a single o-ring in a removable cap with our entire fuel supply... But I like redundancy, and ice in winter can play all sorts of games...]

The tops of the closed balls are within ~4 inches of the deck fill, so it is easy to mop out anything that accumulated there before opening the valve.

No issues [and no accumulations in several years.... yet...]

Access to work the valves is reasonable, and could be augmented with a simple push/pull extension if needed.

Go for it- with fuel/hydraulic rated valves.

Cheers! * Bill

Absolutely a great idea....more than that every boat should have this solution as standard....it's got nothing to do with stealing fuel... it's all to do with fuel protection. Why would any sailor rely on that little o ring on the filler cap to stop water getting in the fuel... one of the main causes of water in fuel and almost no one admits/ thinks of it.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:06   #18

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Why would they choose a sailing vessel with fk all fuel and probably contaminated anyway ( going by the threads about fuel issues) when a powered vessel probably has several thousand litres of clean fuel?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel