Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 06:21   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Diesel flush engine oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by heron237 View Post
RE: ONTHEROCKS,

Here we go with the oil change interval, why waste oil on too frequent oil changes and what do you get except "peace of mind".

Change the oil based on oil manufacturers/engine maker's recommendations, there is absolutely no reason to do it more often, it is wasteful on so many levels, modern mainstream lubricants never fail like your grand pappy's......
First I said AT or BEFORE the recommended service interval will guarantee you never have an oil related problem.

Second you are assuming I give a crap about "wasting" oil. My concern is taking care of my very expensive engine and maintaining it in the best possible way. But please don't worry after I change the oil I don't pour it out on the ground, I bring it to the shop where I work and it gets used to heat the shop in a oil fueled heater where if we don't put in used oil we have to pay for it to be delivered so no loss either way. We're either paying for heating oil or using old oil. But oil gets used in it either way.

Third, as far as my grand pappy is concerned you are only partially correct. Yes modern oil and engines are more efficient and stay "cleaner" longer. What you are leaving out of is that oil gets dirty no matter what and it is the dirt that causes sludge, and premature wear. Even the best oil in the world accumulates dirt (which is why it turns black) The more you change your oil, the less dirt you have, which means the less wear.

Fourth, you act like this is all magic with your "peace of mind" comment. But yes it does give me "peace of mind" because I know that a clean engine runs longer and costs less money for repairs. See I work for a car dealership and see all the time what happens to engines that are well taken care of and ones that are not. It's not theory its attainable physical proof that I base my comments and observations on.

Lastly maybe this is all my fault because I didn't explicitly spell out what AT or BEFORE the recommended interval meant. So I will do that for you now as to prevent any further confusion.

At: meaning changing the oil when the manufacturer recommends

Before: meaning changing the oil at some point not specified, before you hit the manufacturers recommended interval.

To clarify even more, if the end of the year comes and I have only put 50 hours on the engine I still change the oil even though I'm supposed to wait till 100 hours. Or if I have 85 or 90 hours on the engine and it is a rainy day I may change the oil and not wait till 100 hours just because I have the time.

Hope this helps

Tags
diesel, engine, oil