Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2017, 14:41   #31

Boat: Boro Tahiti 47'
Send a message via Skype™ to Rebar_Caruso
Re: Diesel fuel in oil

Shane.... might want to call seadog in manly. Talk to arthur... simon... or nathan. Ive neen through a few and have settled on them. A little rough around the edges but they dont muck about. They're at RQ.
Rebar_Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 14:43   #32

Boat: Slocum 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebar_Caruso View Post
Shane.... might want to call seadog in manly. Talk to arthur... simon... or nathan.
Thank you, will try them!
shanegeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 02:22   #33

Boat: Dufour,cutter,39ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanegeard View Post
Last week I replaced the fuel lift pump in my Perkins 4-108 due to fuel getting into the sump oil. It seemed to have worked. I changed the oil, ran the engine 1 hour to get home, changed the oil and filter, ran for 1 hour, checked oil, ran 1 hour again next day, checked, level all fine. Today, after letting the engine sit all weekend, the oil level is high again.
How would fuel be getting into the sump when the engine is sitting idle?
I had the same problem with the 4-108. Turns out that the CAV fuel injector pump shaft seal was leaking and of course it drained into the engine oil sump. I resolved the problem by having the pump rebuilt for about $1,000.00, all is well now.
Fiji boat guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 02:27   #34

Boat: Dufour,cutter,39ft

Sorry, I'm a newby on site. I had the same problem with the 4-108 and after a lot of misery tracked down the problem. The Fuel injector pump shaft seal was leaking fuel in to engine oil sump. Solved the problem by getting the pump rebuilt for about $1,000.00. No problems since.
Fiji boat guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 02:39   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji boat guy View Post
Sorry, I'm a newby on site. I had the same problem with the 4-108 and after a lot of misery tracked down the problem. The Fuel injector pump shaft seal was leaking fuel in to engine oil sump. Solved the problem by getting the pump rebuilt for about $1,000.00. No problems since.
Thank you, yes I identify with the misery part! I'm getting quotes for the pump rebuild... another boat dollar into the engine. Many thanks!
Old 01-10-2017, 21:23   #36

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

If you are good with turning a wrench you can do the seal job on the high pressure pump your self. I did it last year on my Perkins 4-346 which also uses the CAV pump.
It took me exactly 4 hours to remove the pump working slowly and methodically. Very tight quarters and didn't want to drop any thing in the bilges. Don't bend your injection lines when you remove them. Did the seal replacement on a work bench at home the next day. Two hours for that including replacing throttle and shut down linkage O-ring seals, cover gasket and pump fuel inlet nylon strainer. The kit was around $15.00 from S.E. Tractor Parts.
Next day exactly 4 hours replacing the pump and various pieces. Primed and it started immediately and runs smoothly.
Don't attempt this unless your comfortable doing wrenching on engines. Easy to do lots of expensive damage if you try to force any thing or loose you patients and go country on it. Been there and done that when I was young and full of piss and vinegar. Hope this helps someone. By the way there's a U-tube video of a farmer doing the complete job on a tractor. If your gonna attempt it check out the video first. Show all the details.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 22:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
If you are good with turning a wrench you can do the seal job on the high pressure pump your self. I did it last year on my Perkins 4-346 which also uses the CAV pump.
It took me exactly 4 hours to remove the pump working slowly and methodically. Very tight quarters and didn't want to drop any thing in the bilges. Don't bend your injection lines when you remove them. Did the seal replacement on a work bench at home the next day. Two hours for that including replacing throttle and shut down linkage O-ring seals, cover gasket and pump fuel inlet nylon strainer. The kit was around $15.00 from S.E. Tractor Parts.
Next day exactly 4 hours replacing the pump and various pieces. Primed and it started immediately and runs smoothly.
Don't attempt this unless your comfortable doing wrenching on engines. Easy to do lots of expensive damage if you try to force any thing or loose you patients and go country on it. Been there and done that when I was young and full of piss and vinegar. Hope this helps someone. By the way there's a U-tube video of a farmer doing the complete job on a tractor. If your gonna attempt it check out the video first. Show all the details.
Thank you. It took me about 4 hours to remove the pump as well. I had to remove the heat exchanger first, that was slow, had to turn the nuts a fraction at a time. I removed the return rail which gave more room to maneuver the wrench.
Getting the pump off was easy, except that two of the three flange fixings were very hard to get at. The bottom flange nut wouldn't allow a ring spanner, and the open end wrench had very little room to move. The top fixing was an allen key screw and almost impossible to turn.
I have no idea how I'll get it all back in! Slowly I expect.
Old 02-10-2017, 13:27   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji boat guy View Post
Did you have to do the removal and installation of the pump yourself?
What did the $1000 include?
A rebuild kit costs about AU$25
Replacing the seals takes around 2 hours. Why is it so expensive?
Old 08-11-2017, 02:09   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebar_Caruso View Post
Shane.... might want to call seadog in manly. Talk to arthur... simon... or nathan. Ive neen through a few and have settled on them. A little rough around the edges but they dont muck about. They're at RQ.
Thanks, Seadog did a great job of the fuel pump rebuild. The engine is running beautifully now.

Tags
diesel, fuel, oil