Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 08:25   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Diesel Fuel Polishing Unit

Ken,
Specs, name or part number for that unit?

Found it, seems to average about $600? http://ph.parker.com/us/en/pump-and-...lishing-system
Thing is, I have yet to get anything in my filter at all, I change them yearly from just a belief that I should.
You guys that polish fuel, why? Is it you get dirty fuel from time to time? Does a Baja filter help for that?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:58   #17

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

I installed a home-made fuel polishing system on my old boat. Prior to installing it I had many fuel system headaches for 2 years; after installing it, I had no fuel problems for the following 11 years I owned the boat.

The components of the system consisted of a pump, a filter (it was a GCF filter housing that used a roll of TP as filter medium), a check valve, two pressure gauges, and a number of ball valves.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:08   #18

We just had this discussion last week I think. But there are reasonable priced fuel transfer pumps out there. ... fom $50 and up. That and a couple large filter units ($15 each/filters $7...much larger than most expensive racors) and "bob's your uncle".

This one, just one example, is 13GPM 12V. I would probably go 120V. Many are rated for diesel.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...C7JhoCGjjw_wcB

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 18:32   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fixed Addres View Post
Has anyone come across a reasonably priced on board 12V diesel fuel polishing system for smaller boats? Our tank is 260 liters and I am plagued with bad/dirty fuel issues. I have seen a small home made unit in Turkey on a 36 ft sloop Thanks Graham). Great unit.

Any suggestions? Has anyone made their own?
This has been discussed a lot. Here is another thread on this forum. We are adding fuel polishing as well as bypass polishing of the engine and generator oil.
Filter Element size recommendations? - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 19:57   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

The reason I built the spaghetti storage jar filter was so that I had a course solids filter and decent sized water trap which I could observe and drain the water from whilst the unit was running. The water bleed includes a tube down to the bottom of the spag jar which I open when it gets about half full of water. My experience was that if you get a slug of water it is usually a significant volume. The suction of the gear pump rests on the bottom of the tank but is cut at an angle.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 21:54   #21

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Fuel Polishing Modules | Diesel Fuel Polishing Systems | Racor Dual Filter System | FilterBoss
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 23:00   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ken,
Specs, name or part number for that unit?

Found it, seems to average about $600? Pump and Filter Fuel Polishing System | Parker NA
Thing is, I have yet to get anything in my filter at all, I change them yearly from just a belief that I should.
You guys that polish fuel, why? Is it you get dirty fuel from time to time? Does a Baja filter help for that?
We have a custom Reverso system, Separ dedicated filter and dual Racors with switch lever.

No, the Baja pre filter isn't necessary now that we polish, the Baja filter only prevents the larger particle from entering the fuel tank, it doesn't do anything to prevent tank growth and sludge.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 15:31   #23

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Has anyone come across a reasonably priced on board 12V diesel fuel polishing system for smaller boats? Our tank is 260 liters and I am plagued with bad/dirty fuel issues. I have seen a small home made unit in Turkey on a 36 ft sloop Thanks Graham). Great unit.

After having major and costly fuel problems I built a unit using:
NZ made marinized continuous rated diesel fuel pump bought on ebay (1.5 litres per minute)
2 x Separ filter / water separators (30 and 10 micron)
1 x reverse flow preventer valve to aid with priming
12v timer also bought off ebay. (noticed timer is same as is used on a $2,000 commercial polishing unit).
Run the unit automatically every week for 9 hours on 2 hours on, 10 minutes off cycles plus whenever it is bouncy. My tank had take off and returns for a generator pre installed so that part was easy. First few times I ran it got lots of crud but now bowls completely clear. If using centrifugal type filters believe it is critical that pump output and flow rating of filters are matched. Also check if pump is meant to push or pull fuel through filters.
Good luck with building yours. I certainly reckon its worthwhile.
TwT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0850.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	120552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0851.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	120553  

Name:	IMG_0852.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	120554  
Old 12-03-2016, 16:38   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:

Yes, built my own for a few dollars 12v electric facet fuel pump and cav fuel filter off e bay, filters 100 LPH. However, it will not clean a badly contaminated fuel tank because in our case the gloop at the bottom of the tank had the consistency of custard and didn't mix with the diesel on top so wasn't drawn into the filter despite the take off being at the lowest point in the tank. For a badly contaminated tank you need to get inside and do it properly.

Pete

[/URL]
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 18:14   #25

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

I built a new 34 gal tank, suffice to say it has a "Truncated V" at the bottom. Installed a pair of opposing "L's", pickup/return at the bottom dedicated to polishing. I have an extra Racor 500 I am planning to use with vacuum gage. I have a 1 hour mechanical rotary timer ($17) which I planned to add to my Saturday to do list, certainly could add more days. I am planning to add a desiccant dryer in my vent line. Question is will this pump be enough capacity/pressure?

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1457835040.713010.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	120570

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel